D800 AF Issue is NOT resolved. Buyer beware!!!!! Locked

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,289
Re: D800 AF Issue is NOT resolved. Buyer beware!!!!!

Event_shooter stated:

I could NOT disagree with you more on #4. The D800 is HEADS AND TAILS better than anything Nikon has ever produced even the D4.

My Reply,

You got to be kidding, what a bunch of @@@@@@%$#@#!!!!!  Now I've heard it all ha ha!!!!

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Tokina AT-X 70-200mm F4 PRO FX VCM-S +6 more
papparazzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,988

Event_shooter wrote:

Arretose wrote:

4. DO NOT get camera envy thinking that the D800 is so awesome that you HAVE to have it! Older generation cameras (D700, d3x) are great cameras. The hassle with Nikon's QC is not worth it.

Hope this helps you save some $$$$

Chris

I could NOT disagree with you more on #4. The D800 is HEADS AND TAILS better than anything Nikon has ever produced even the D4.

I'm not going to take teh time here and explain how 36MP is better than 12 mp, 18 mp, etc.

Why do people who don't OWN a D800 - keep giving advice on purchasing a D800 and the D800 quality.

Now lets talk about this HUGE hassle of QC. If you have a bad copy you put it in a box send it to Nikon and they fix it. A minor inconvenience perhaps, but hassle - I think not.

Are people having issues sure, but if you read any other camera manufacturer thread they all have issues. They haven't make a camera yet without issues.

Simply not true, many manufacturers are trouble free, Canon being one at this point

papparazzi's gear list:papparazzi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 +10 more
Chris in Sacto Regular Member • Posts: 101

Reading the first paragraph in your original post, it appears (to me) like you probably did a pretty thorough job testing. Just wanted to thank you for posting your results, especially knowing that many would be less than thrilled with those results.

-C

dholl
dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,230
Beware the fanboys!

Brave thread, Chris.

Yesterday I wrote a user review where I didn't recommend the D600 for the sole reason that the three D600's I had all suffered the infamous sensor-spot problem. Now that user reviews can be commented on I got dozens of paranoid, distrustful and belittling remarks. The thread was locked eventually.

You will likely get similar here. Nikonians don't like their favourite brand going to kack - of course, we neutrals also don't like to see Nikon struggling - unfortunately the fanboys are not directing their negative energies in the correct direction.

Just a heads up...

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,454

I'd like the name and phone number of the camera store which let you unpack and try five cameras, which are now used.  I'll call them as soon as you provide the information and see if this really happened.

I don't believe a word of it.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,227
Something seems.... amiss.

Arretose wrote:

I just spent 4 hours in our local camera store testing out five.....5....different brand new D800's, serial number 3064994 being the lowest as I recall. I brought my own tripod, batteries, cards, remote, variety of approved AF printed targets, cards ect. The store let me use their back room to set up my gear and test my lenses (14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 85/1.8, 35/1.4,16-35). I followed Thom Hogans article for testing AF. By the end of this experience we had about 15 bystanders taking note.

15 bystanders in the store's back room, taking note?

I was upfront with them, showing them the cash

You were carrying $3000+ cash?  Why wouldn't you purchase with a credit card?

and letting them know I was ready to purchase if i could get a camera with no AF issue. They were very happy to make sure I was happy with my purchase. After testing each lens (listed above) on the first D800, the store manager let me use their computer with the huge 30 inch monitor to look at the results. I used crib cards to note which lens , CD/PD AF, and focal points I used for each series of images. There was no mistaking the left and right AF issue on the first camera. The store mamager wrapped up the d800 and said it was going back to Nikon as defective. The second camera was worse. At this point the store manager was getting frustrated, and I told him I ha made up my mind not to get a D800. But he insisted on finding a D800 that did not have the problem. 5 cameras later, he decided enough was enough. He had heard of the problem from last year, but that nobody had been coming in with the problem, and he had heard rumors that it had been fixed. I don't know if people have been testing carefully or just eyeballing it, but I was not alone in my interpretation of the results. It was bad, and everyone there knew it.

What is the name of the store?  Was it in Las Vegas, or some other part of Nevada?  (you said 'our local camera store', and you have your location as 'Nevada'.)

If my questions seem suspicious, it's because they are. Something about your story seems embellished, exaggerated, possibly flat-out untrue to me.  I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking about the store.

I test cameras and lenses at the counter of my local camera store all the time.  It's usually going to be National Camera Exchange, Golden Valley, MN.  I'll even hand out the store number, website and the name of the salesman I talk to - heck, he'd love to talk to anyone

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
beast625 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Beware the fanboys!

Not simply a question of "fanboys" (could you be a bit more dismissive?).  We all deal with problems differently.  The OP made a choice to test five and buy none.  You recommend not buying the D600. I made a decision to buy both as soon as I could.

I bought the D600 7 months ago, have thousands of keepers, and have created some photos that are really special to me and others, some of which have sold to customers.  I received a new D800E today and will be shooting tomorrow.  If I have an AF problem, I'll work around and address as necessary.  But I WILL be shooting a D800E tomorrow.

Warranties and consumer protection laws exist for a reason.

beast625's gear list:beast625's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X100F Nikon D50 Nikon D80 +27 more
dholl
Re: Something seems.... amiss.

moving_comfort wrote:.

15 bystanders in the store's back room, taking note?

What is the name of the store? Was it in Las Vegas, or some other part of Nevada? (you said 'our local camera store', and you have your location as 'Nevada'.)

If my questions seem suspicious, it's because they are. Something about your story seems embellished, exaggerated, possibly flat-out untrue to me. I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking about the store.

To be fair, I'd also like Chris to tell us more about the results of his test and to answer the questions put to him. So far, this thread has had mostly reasonable replies.

beast625 wrote:

Not simply a question of "fanboys" (could you be a bit more dismissive?).

I've been scarred from my "could have been a contender" D600 thread and also on a German forum when I dared to point out weaknesses in the D600 (live-view etc). As a result I automatically expect the same kind of hostile replies when anyone posts a thread which is critical of a Nikon camera.

Hopefully this thread will prove me wrong.

beast625 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Something seems.... amiss.

Fair enough dholl ...

beast625's gear list:beast625's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X100F Nikon D50 Nikon D80 +27 more
OP Arretose Senior Member • Posts: 1,114

Not simply a question of "fanboys" (could you be a bit more dismissive?).  We all deal with problems differently.  The OP made a choice to test five and buy none.  You recommend not buying the D600. I made a decision to buy both as soon as I could.

I bought the D600 7 months ago, have thousands of keepers, and have created some photos that are really special to me and others, some of which have sold to customers.  I received a new D800E today and will be shooting tomorrow.  If I have an AF problem, I'll work around and address as necessary.  But I WILL be shooting a D800E tomorrow.

It's all good. I won't loose any sleep tonight over the unread comments here. The left AF issue is a proven, documented, and unresolved issue. Nikon is still making defective D800/e bodies. I offer my testimony as another witness to any that are considering the purchase of said camera. Potential buyers take that risk. That's all. Good night.

dnorth12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

Arretose wrote:

Not simply a question of "fanboys" (could you be a bit more dismissive?). We all deal with problems differently. The OP made a choice to test five and buy none. You recommend not buying the D600. I made a decision to buy both as soon as I could.

I bought the D600 7 months ago, have thousands of keepers, and have created some photos that are really special to me and others, some of which have sold to customers. I received a new D800E today and will be shooting tomorrow. If I have an AF problem, I'll work around and address as necessary. But I WILL be shooting a D800E tomorrow.

It's all good. I won't loose any sleep tonight over the unread comments here. The left AF issue is a proven, documented, and unresolved issue. Nikon is still making defective D800/e bodies. I offer my testimony as another witness to any that are considering the purchase of said camera. Potential buyers take that risk. That's all. Good night.

How would lose sleep over something you didn't read? Would the comments that you "didn't" read be the ones where forum members were asking you where the store that you did your testing is and the phone number of said store?

I was pretty much ready to believe you until you blew off those comments.

moving_comfort
Proof is very easy - what's the name of the store?

Arretose wrote:

Not simply a question of "fanboys" (could you be a bit more dismissive?). We all deal with problems differently. The OP made a choice to test five and buy none. You recommend not buying the D600. I made a decision to buy both as soon as I could.

I bought the D600 7 months ago, have thousands of keepers, and have created some photos that are really special to me and others, some of which have sold to customers. I received a new D800E today and will be shooting tomorrow. If I have an AF problem, I'll work around and address as necessary. But I WILL be shooting a D800E tomorrow.

Hold on - don't shuffle off to bed yet. Will you answer the questions we asked about the secret store, your $3000 cash in hand, the 15 bystanders in the back room?   Do you have any of the test images saved?

Because it's sounding like it's a good story - but just a story.

-- hide signature --

Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Hokkaido Jan
Hokkaido Jan Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: Proof is very easy - what's the name of the store?

The OP seems to make this a common occurrence? always wi 5 bodies...

Check this post from a thread 4 days ago...

Arretose wrote:

Wow- cash in hand I was walking into ProPhoto a few minutes ago in Portlad, OR to pick up a d800, but read this thread. I have made a 180 and I am walking back to my car. I went thru 5 x d800 bodies last spring 2012 and returned them all because of this issue. I figured that after a year this problem would be resolved, but there are still issues. Guess Thom was off a little eh? This is a fundental design flaw, and that is why Nikon is being quiet. Not to mention, the US economy is likely going to crash before Nikon comes out with a fix/update (like a d600s or d800s)!

From here:  http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51111592

Now i definitely smell BS "FUD".

-- hide signature --
 Hokkaido Jan's gear list:Hokkaido Jan's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a7
dholl
The store is called ProPhoto (Portland, Oregon)

Hokkaido Jan wrote:

Arretose wrote:

Wow- cash in hand I was walking into ProPhoto a few minutes ago in Portlad, OR

Well there you go...that's the store. He's referring to the same thing.

Hokkaido Jan
Hokkaido Jan Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: The store is called ProPhoto (Portland, Oregon)

dholl wrote:

Hokkaido Jan wrote:

Arretose wrote:

Wow- cash in hand I was walking into ProPhoto a few minutes ago in Portlad, OR

Well there you go...that's the store. He's referring to the same thing.

In this thread he talks about "just spent 4 hours".

In the older thread he says last spring 2012.

Not the same thing at all in my eyes...

-- hide signature --
 Hokkaido Jan's gear list:Hokkaido Jan's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a7
moving_comfort
Re: Proof is very easy - what's the name of the store?

Hokkaido Jan wrote:

Arretose wrote:

Wow- cash in hand I was walking into ProPhoto a few minutes ago in Portlad, OR to pick up a d800, but read this thread. I have made a 180 and I am walking back to my car. I went thru 5 x d800 bodies last spring 2012 and returned them all because of this issue. I figured that after a year this problem would be resolved, but there are still issues. Guess Thom was off a little eh? This is a fundental design flaw, and that is why Nikon is being quiet. Not to mention, the US economy is likely going to crash before Nikon comes out with a fix/update (like a d600s or d800s)!

From here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51111592

Now i definitely smell BS "FUD".

Wow - good find.  5 seems to be the magic number for him!  

The structure of the lie is remarkably bad in that first attempt, though - notice how he was "walking into ProPhoto  ... but read this thread... and made a 180 and am walking back to my car."  He was reading the thread as he was walking into the store?  On his phone, presumably? Good thing he decided to check dpreview right before he walked into the store, I know I always do that!

-- hide signature --

dholl
Re: The store is called ProPhoto (Portland, Oregon)

Hokkaido Jan wrote:

In this thread he talks about "just spent 4 hours".

In the older thread he says last spring 2012.

Not the same thing at all in my eyes...

He says last Spring he had 5 cams...he wrote "a few minutes ago" he went in to the shop, and in this thread he wrote he "just went into a shop"...and later he wrote he tested 10 cams in all (5 last Spring, and 5 just now).

CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699

This story is just unbelievable. If you want me to believe it, put the name of the store, contact person and some of the test shots you made.

It is amazing that this post is even allowed! 100% fabricated.

This whole forum has gotten out-of-control. Anyone can post anything without a single thread of proof, yet we are to take everything said as gospel. Not me, no not me.

You kept detailed crib notes, but cannot recall the serial numbers?  Come on.....this is hogwash.

Put up or shut up.

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads