RAW to JPG... why do my pics look washed out? sRGB?

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions
jasonfodor New Member • Posts: 13
RAW to JPG... why do my pics look washed out? sRGB?

My RAW images look amazing (:
but for some reason when I convert to JPG it kills it =/
I've been using the following method to convert in photoshop CS6:
File > Scripts > Image Processor > either 1000 or 1100 pixel and quality 12 (highest from what I know)
For example:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ipg=25&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=i_sell_drugs&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=dsquared&_sacat=0&_from=R40
The brown fur jacket and brown shirt look OK (used Convert profile to sRGB), but the White safari jacket and plaid shirt (didn't use sRGB) looks washed out as far as icons go.  Should I re-convert those to JPG using SRGB?
Rest of my work:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=dsquared&_ipg=25&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_armrs=1&_ssn=i_sell_drugs&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=&_sacat=0
Any advice ?  
I don't really have the time to read or take a photography class.  I just list a few things out of my closest for charity time to time.  Maybe one day I'll get to pursue it more, but if anyone has any general tips or advice, I'd really appreciate it (:

Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,853
Re: RAW to JPG... why do my pics look washed out? sRGB?

jasonfodor wrote:

The brown fur jacket and brown shirt look OK (used Convert profile to sRGB), but the White safari jacket and plaid shirt (didn't use sRGB) looks washed out as far as icons go. Should I re-convert those to JPG using SRGB?

Yes, you need to convert anything that you want viewed online to sRGB before saving.  sRGB isn't the reason your pics would look washed out - the reason is uploading them with a profile other than sRGB, which is the profile used for the vast majority of online content.  Only a color space aware browser can accurately display images saved in other than sRGB, but that's not what most people use.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,527

When you send an image from Adobe Camera Raw to Photoshop CS it opens as a 16-bit ProPhoto  color space TIFF.  If you simply use the File/Save As/JPEG command the ProPhoto color space info is embedded in the 8-bit JPG file and the colors won't look correct.

There are two ways to avoid this problem.

The easy way is to use the File/Save for Web command.  This command will automatically change the image into an 8-bit JPG file with sRGB color space info embedded in the file and the image colors will display correctly.

The alternative is to use the Edit/Convert to Profile/sRGB command before using the File/Save As/JPEG command.  By first changing the color space the correct sRGB color space info will be embedded in the image file and the colors will display correctly.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +9 more
OP jasonfodor New Member • Posts: 13

Hi,

Currently I am doing:

File > Scripts > Image Processor > and have the sRGB box checked.

It allows me to do batches/lots of files at a time.

What is the difference from what I am doing to what you are recommending?

Is there a way to do that in batches/lots for multiple images?

tom60634 Senior Member • Posts: 2,130

Sailor Blue wrote:

When you send an image from Adobe Camera Raw to Photoshop CS it opens as a 16-bit ProPhoto color space TIFF. If you simply use the File/Save As/JPEG command the ProPhoto color space info is embedded in the 8-bit JPG file and the colors won't look correct.

In the Workflow Options panel of Adobe Camera Raw you can adjust the following prior to opening in Photoshop.

1. Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB, ProPhoto RGB, ColorMatch RGB

2. Depth: 8 or 16 bits per channel

3. Size: Various width x height options

4. Resolution: Pixels per inch/cm

5. Sharpen for: None, Screen, Glossy Paper, Matte Paper  - Amount: Low, Standard, High

So you are not forced to work with 16 bit ProPhoto, but can directly move from ACR ti PS in the size , color space, depth and resolution that your edit requires.

tom60634's gear list:tom60634's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
photokandi
photokandi Forum Member • Posts: 97

Sailor Blue wrote:

When you send an image from Adobe Camera Raw to Photoshop CS it opens as a 16-bit ProPhoto color space TIFF. If you simply use the File/Save As/JPEG command the ProPhoto color space info is embedded in the 8-bit JPG file and the colors won't look correct.

It will only open up as a 16bit ProPhoto file if the settings are set to that in the workflow options in ACR. You can allocate 8bit Adobe RGB or sRGB if you like. Also your Photoshop workspace would also need to be set to ProPhoto to enable you to work within that space, because if it wasn't you would get an 'Embedded Profile Mismatch' warning asking you if you would like to stay within the imported profile or convert to working profile. Also it's not in TIFF format when opened up in photoshop, just uncompressed, as you chose the file format when saving.

You just need to open up from ACR in sRGB into Photoshop, have your working space set to sRGB & then you save as an sRGB JPEG & the image will look fine on the net.

photokandi's gear list:photokandi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +1 more
redsox Veteran Member • Posts: 3,106

photokandi wrote:

Sailor Blue wrote:

It will only open up as a 16bit ProPhoto file if the settings are set to that in the workflow options in ACR. You can allocate 8bit Adobe RGB or sRGB if you like. Also your Photoshop workspace would also need to be set to ProPhoto to enable you to work within that space, because if it wasn't you would get an 'Embedded Profile Mismatch' warning asking you if you would like to stay within the imported profile or convert to working profile. Also it's not in TIFF format when opened up in photoshop, just uncompressed, as you chose the file format when saving.

You just need to open up from ACR in sRGB into Photoshop, have your working space set to sRGB & then you save as an sRGB JPEG & the image will look fine on the net.

I get this problem all the time where my internet-displayed photos have dull and muddied colors compared to how they look on my desktop, and have never understood how to properly manage the color profiles/workspaces.

I think I understand comments above, but here is my workflow.

Record photo in RAW and process in Lightroom, open in PS5 for any further work, and save usually in adobe RGB or photopro RGB—these color spaces have wider gamut/more color headroom than sRGB, isn't that correct (better for printing, no?) ?

So, If I set my PS working space to sRGB and save as sRGB jpg, won't I lose the ability to use the PS tools in the wider working spaces? Do I have to save 2 distinct sets of photos If I want the widest color gamut for "posterit," (saved to my desktop as photopro rgb tiff or adobe RGB jpg) but also want my uploaded photos to be vibrant (saved as in sRGB working space as sRGB jpg).

How would I save an adobe RGB jpg from my desktop to an online location so it does not lose vibrancy?

(I hope understanding of terminology and concept is at least good enough ti express the issue clearly) this clearly.

Redsox
http://photobucket.com/kevinkopp

tom60634 Senior Member • Posts: 2,130

redsox wrote:

How would I save an adobe RGB jpg from my desktop to an online location so it does not lose vibrancy?

Redsox
http://photobucket.com/kevinkopp

In Photoshop prior to saving go Edit>Convert to Profile.

In the Destination Space pull down: choose sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

In the Conversion Options section

Engine: choose Adobe (ACE)

Intent: Does not matter for web viewing, but I've seen people advise others to use Relative Colorimetric,

Check "Use Black Point Compensation"

Check "Use Dither"

Check "Flatten Image to Preserve Appearance"

Your file should now consistently appear close to the same as your screen version.

tom60634's gear list:tom60634's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,982

Record photo in RAW and process in Lightroom, open in PS5 for any further work, and save usually in adobe RGB or photopro RGB—these color spaces have wider gamut/more color headroom than sRGB, isn't that correct (better for printing, no?) ?

If you are using Lightroom, you can set the default colourspace for PS editing, and whether 8-bit or 16-bit, there - External Editing tab of the LR Preferences (the equivalent of setting the Adobe Camera Raw dialog's output settings, for those who are using ACR directly instead of Lightroom). You can then simply hit Save when you want to complete your PS editing and return to LR. Lightroom understands, and duly compensates for, whatever colourspace - both incoming and outgoing.

There is no point in restricting your master PS document's usage needlessly. You might at some point want to put a derivative copy online, which will need to have been converted into a restricted colourspace (sRGB), forced down to 8-bits and destructively compressed (into a JPG) - but that can be regarded as a pure OUTPUT matter.. which will only need to happen then, and only to the copy.

There are efficient ways in Photoshop to achieve this, such as Save for Web and Devices, or a specially made Action. Or you can do this in a batch-processed manner, including features of Bridge which can place the images online as well.

However, if you have Lightroom available, this is exactly the kind of task that can be readily automated there (via Export), straight to web if you like. Making output from there, ensures that you can include images which have not been into PS, as well as ones which have, in the same batch. The parameters can all then be re-used via a saved preset, or set up as a Publish service.

So, you don't need to run different parallel versions of your image, just because you might want to later output them differently.

Your single PS edit file (or camera original) can show through "live" into one or more LR-hosted variants as you require, by means of virtual copies. And each of these can undergo a range of differently configured outputs, on-the-fly, disposably, repeatably. That means resizing; specific sharpening for the medium and the new pixel dimension; colourspace; watermarking; naming.

Exporting can thus be regarded as a kind of standardised, electronic "printing"; many of the same concepts apply.

Be aware that your "vibrancy" may not be someone else's "vibrancy" when non colour-managed applications are used. Many people use non colour-managed programs to view images, and these may give the wrong result especially with non-sRGb images. Many of these progams also don't make due allowance for the properties of the screen they are hooked up to; this is exacerbated when that screen has a wide colour gamut.

But - provided you select sRGB in your Lightroom Export settings, provided your own system is well colour-managed through a suitably working display profile; provided PS was not set to wrongly re-assign colourspace along the way; and provided anyone viewing the resulting JPG with a wide-gamut monitor does so using colour-managed viewing software; the general impact and effect of the image should be very similar without any fuss or difficulty at all.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more

Thank you for your answer, Tom. Appreciated.

Redsox

-- hide signature --

Thank you Richard. I appreciate your answer.

Redsox

-- hide signature --
MaryJaneArt
MaryJaneArt New Member • Posts: 1

It's worse than washed out. Yellowed and almost gone.  I can't figure out why it's doing this.  They look great while soft proofing in Photoshop CC.  As soon as they go to printer and now one test did it on desk top the image is ruined.  Can't seem to get answers on Adobe forum.  Any help?  I hate to not be able to open in Camera Raw.

-- hide signature --

MaryJane Sarvis

Jacquie New Member • Posts: 4

Im having the same issue I bring in Raw files from bridge into photoshop cc and work on them then when I save them to jpg and look at them on bridge they are dark and don't seem to have all the appropriate changes,  My photos are put up on web sites and also used for printing.  I have lightroom and photoshop.  I was using just jpgs but wanted to change to raw for more versatilety.

How do I go from working on them in Photoshop then saving as a jpg do I have to change photoshop and light room to srgb or adobe 1998? Im getting very confused with all these changes and not quite understanding what I should be updating. I do a lot of photos so eventual batching once I can get this consistent.

Thank you in advance

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads