I'm Staying Married to Olympus!!

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
Darrell500
Darrell500 Senior Member • Posts: 2,126
Re: More Gloom and Doom

My 90-250mm just arrived today. Needless to say I so totally distressed that I may have to go out and take some photos with it (if I can lift the damned thing)

Craig your killing me, I'm turning green with envy, I am so lusting after that lens.

My Olympus files are so bad I was hired to shoot the Rock Star Energy Drinks Uproar Festival last year. You should have seen the look I got from a newpaper guy when he asked if that was a Canon and I said no it's Olympus, he said he didin't realize Oly made anything like that. ( E-5 w/35-100)

Here is one of the lowlight pics you can't get with Olympus gear, dang I must need a Canikon.

Jason James with Bullet For My Valentine E-5 35-100 ISO 1600 Shutter Priority  1/640 f/3.2

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-P3 +35 more
aja2
aja2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,657
Niiiiice shot Darrelll *nt*
Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 3,585
Re: I don't know...

But if you do not purchase a Zuiko lens, how can you possibly photograph and otherwise document all the gloom and doom? There has been so much of late, after all. Craig needed a massive lens in order to be sure and capture all the shots of the gloom and doom. The Zuiko 90-250 fit the bill just nicely, thank you very much.

... about this lens choice for the task... I'd think Ultra-wide is a better fit for this assignment!

Ultra-wide arrives Friday.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +17 more
Dana Scott
Dana Scott Regular Member • Posts: 148
Re: No More Gloom and Doom

I'm sad and discouraged too.

I have a FL50r, 50-200SWD waiting for me at home and an E-5 arriving shortly.

Sad sad sad.

Dana Scott's gear list:Dana Scott's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-500 Nikon D750 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha a7 II +10 more
pris Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
Oh the horror

I'm sad and discouraged too.

I have a FL50r, 50-200SWD waiting for me at home and an E-5 arriving shortly.

Sad sad sad.

Hang in there man, you have our moral support... deep sympathies, and try to cope the best you can

Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 4,295
Re: I'm Staying Married to Olympus!!

Just to counteract all of the "guess what, I'm leaving Olympus" posts as of late, here's my post stating that I will not be divorcing Olympus.

I love my E-30, E-1, and lenses!

The E-1 is still the bomb; better photos than a lot of new gear (IMHO) and the E-30 is more than I even need. I recently had a 24 by 36 metal print made from an E-30 file... awesome! People love it, and no one has said "gee, isn't that print from just a 12 megapixel camera... and, ughh, an​ Olympus​ at that... I think I just threw up a little when I said that..."

So, in closing, I truly dig my Oly gear... I look forward to their next offering, whatever it may be... and, for now, I don't even need a new camera anyway.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Darrell500
Darrell500 Senior Member • Posts: 2,126
Re: Niiiiice shot Darrelll *nt*

Thank You and I'm adding insult to injury as I have a new ring flash on the way from Olympus.

BTW I love love love your flickr gallery

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-P3 +35 more
TedKurkowski Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: No More Gloom and Doom

But if you do not purchase a Zuiko lens, how can you possibly photograph and otherwise document all the gloom and doom? There has been so much of late, after all. Craig needed a massive lens in order to be sure and capture all the shots of the gloom and doom. The Zuiko 90-250 fit the bill just nicely, thank you very much.

Hi Roger, bring on the Doom and Gloom is what I say, because I'm perfectly equipped now to photograph it . . .

I'll shoot the Doom from a safe distance using my E-5 and ZD300
And I'll shoot the Gloom at ISO12800 using my 5DmkIII

And I'll be working until I drop to pay for it all

Peter

Way too funny....now I know why I have seventeen of the Zuiko lenses. I feel so liberated now.

Jeeez - I tend to feel guilty about having 9 plus the 3 Leicas.  Now I feel better.   Thank you.   

-- hide signature --

Ted

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
I left 4/3

but stayed w Olympus.

Actually didn't leave, but my gear was ripped from my hands... and in my despair, I took up w a younger and trimmer E-M5.  But if I had the cash I'd replace the 12-60 and pick up an E-30 too.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +2 more
magnus600 Regular Member • Posts: 327

Nice! Tired of seeing those who pop in just to say they're leaving. Feels alot better with some optimism!

I just pushed the buy-button on a 14-35 f2 !!  Looking forward to an E-7 to hang that on In the meantime my E-3 does just fine..

Magnus

magnus600's gear list:magnus600's gear list
Olympus E-M1
John Iversen
John Iversen Contributing Member • Posts: 817

More power to you, Dr. Lecter . . .

“Married”  (to Olympus) - I’ve been – since the spring of 1972.  Like most marriages, it has had its phases and its ages and times good and bad, and the occasional knock-down, drag-out spousal argument.  I’ve grown with this photographic marriage, and Olympus – for all the strident critics du jour out there – has also done its share of maturing over the last 41 years.

So . . . at this stage of the marriage . . . I suppose it would be the all-too-typical middle aged guy thing to throw in my hand and get me one a’ them Trophy Wifes.  A lot younger, sexier, looka the wheels on that one!  Lessee, there’s CANdee and NIKkee, see either one a’ them walkin’ down the street from behind and its like two hogs fighting underneath a bedsheet!

Yup, it’ll cost a fair amount to get the big D, but – jeez – ain’t getting’ any younger and after all those years I flat deserve a Trophy Camera.  She’ll be very, very expensive but boy howdy she’ll be worth it.  An' the rest of the guys with their tongues just draggin' the floor to see her hangin' off my arm . . .

Uhuh, uhuh.

Sound scary familiar to anyone here ?  ?  ?

Salskov

-- hide signature --

"Shoot with what you got"

Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,055
Re: It's like a long term marriage.

Yes, and when you get out, it smacks of alimony payments 

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN E-P5
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,055

Nice! Tired of seeing those who pop in just to say they're leaving. Feels alot better with some optimism!

I just pushed the buy-button on a 14-35 f2 !! Looking forward to an E-7 to hang that on In the meantime my E-3 does just fine..

Magnus

Congratulations.  You will love the 14-35 f2 I suspect, get out and enjoy it!  

And amen to the fly-by pessimists.  Optimism is so much more fun.  

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN E-P5
mcabato Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

just do reguarily fine fotos with your oly gear, then you do not need to post onfessions, whether your gear are good kids from a good father. just juseit quality wise and be happy.

br gusti

mcabato's gear list:mcabato's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +14 more
Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 3,585
Re: More Gloom and Doom

My 90-250mm just arrived today. Needless to say I so totally distressed that I may have to go out and take some photos with it (if I can lift the damned thing)

I tried out the Gloom and Doom Zoom yesterday  It is an amazing lens.  It is going to take some time to learn how to make the most of its capabilities.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +17 more
OlyChamp
OlyChamp Veteran Member • Posts: 4,451
The Road so Far

One day I met a girl, her name was Olympus FE 210, we started having some fun and pretty soon we had a lot in common.  We started dating and she turned into an Olympus C2100UZ, a woman of fine taste and perception.  The images she gave me still live with me to this day.  When we got engaged she changed her name to Olympus SP570UZ and we celebrated our union with many progeny.  That engagement last for 2 years and then one day she proposed to me as long as she took my name.  I said no, we'll take a new name so we became Mr and Mrs Olympus E-500 and now we litter the internet with our passions.

Throughout our time we have thoroughly enjoyed what we give to each other, and what we get from our efforts.  I know our first child will be Olympus E-x and both of us are looking forward to that very much. And yes, Mrs Oly E-500 will still be with me when E-x arrives.

At this stage (and at all other stages) I have never felt the compunction to leave this relationship, nor shall I.  The other ladies that trade in the photographic family seem distant and lost and quite frankly scary by their lack of happiness and happiness is a key to a good relationship don't you think?

-- hide signature --

The digital image is a dozen or so words
positioned carefully to paint a picture
that challenges the eye
and tricks the mind
into thinking, light is a title
and the palette a taste bud
worth tasting.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
aja2
Re: Niiiiice shot Darrelll *nt*

Thank You and I'm adding insult to injury as I have a new ring flash on the way from Olympus.

BTW I love love love your flickr gallery

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Haha, yeah all that 'insult' should make for some nice shots, too.

And, thank you very much... I didn't think anyone ever looked at it!

aja2
I don't believe in D I V O R C E....

... so unless Olympus leaves me, I'll be staying true.

However... when my E-510's stop working or stop being repairable, I will have to move on...

to a new(er) Oly dSLR.

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,205
Can not afford to divorce!

Leaving would cost a boat load and other than the fact I don't love the E-3 I don't think I'm about to leave any time soon.  Bought an EM-5 and like it more than the E-3 but would really like an E-1 sized 'pro-body'.  The E-1 still feels better in my hand than any camera I have ever held in the past 40 years.  Tried an E-5 prior to official release at a trade show and liked the results better than the E-3 but it pretty much still feels exactly the same so didn't buy one.  Had an E-510 and liked the size better than the E-3 and it felt pretty good in hand as well, but not as good as the E-1.  Will wait to see what transpires and not in a hurry to buy another camera.  Any of them still take better pictures than I need 90% of the time.

Andrew

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
Now that I think about it

I was in a polygamous relationship.

There was the 520, which I relied on daily

the 500 I could not bare to part with.

The C-2100, relegated to the occasional tryst in the realm of IR.

And the venerable old lady, my first love, with me for more than half my life, the OM-4.

But one night I came home and they were all gone... Life can be cruel.

But now I'm a one camera guy, and woe to the person who tries to part us.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads