Decision time: GH3 or LX7 (for trip)

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
John.Laninga
John.Laninga Senior Member • Posts: 2,347
Decision time: GH3 or LX7 (for trip)

I'm about to leave on a long cruise (minimal photo ops) followed by a week in Rome, then a week in London before heading home.  I can take either of these two kits but I can't make up my mind:

• GH3, 12-35 and 35-100 in a small messenger type bag
  • LX-7 with LVF2 finder in a small waist pack

I already own both of these setups, but the question really boils down to what to take.  The LX-7 is obviously much easier to carry, and I have found it to be a very capable little camera when paired with the LVF-2. And in the waist bag it is virtually theft proof, and leaves both hands free.

But the GH3 with lenses isn't all THAT big, and is weatherproof (may be a big deal in London).  But, it means carrying a messenger bag, and making sure it doen't disappear in busy tourist places.  And, we'll be doing a LOT of walking, and we're not young anymore...

The draw of the GH3 is strong, but the portability of the LX7 is also in favor.... what would you do?

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X30 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gak44 Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: Decision time: GH3 or LX7 (for trip)

Unless you want to make large prints I would go with the LX7.

Last year we spent three weeks in Italy and packing space was at a premium. I took a Canon P&S with a 24mm equiv. f2.0 lens instead of an SLR and never regretted it. Pick up a travel zoom P&S for back-up and the occasional long shot (I use a Canon SX260, but there are many other good ones).  The LX7 can fit in many shirt pockets giving you the sort of freedom that carrying any sort of bag cannot match.

The quality of the Italy photos and the freedom from lugging a large camera around were instrumental in my deciding to sell my EOS kit and buy into M43 (G5, GX1 and several lenses), plus an LX7 for exactly the sort of travel you are undertaking. For travel, the M43 kit is reserved for trips where wildlife photography will be important - like the American west, Southern Africa or a recent trip to GA and SC where I wanted to photograph birds and gators in wildlife sanctuaries.

gak44's gear list:gak44's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +9 more
Cipher Senior Member • Posts: 2,640
I'd take both...

but then that's just me. If one breaks down, I still have the other. The GH3 would be much more versatile though because of the lenses. When I went to New York, I had an OM-D E-M5 and I had my Panasonic GF1 as a backup and I also brought my Canon S95 for really discrete shooting.

tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,860

LOL that's why I'd take my PM2 (or GX1, or whatever). But since you don't have a small RF-style m43 camera I guess I'd go for the LX7 because I don't like carrying a large camera. Tough call. I think it ultimately boils down to how much you mind lugging a larger camera, because the GH3 would be a much better photographic tool than the LX7.

Good luck!

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
pavinder Regular Member • Posts: 277

The LX7, for exactly the reasons you mention.

I've had one as my carry-round everyday camera (and before that the LX2) and it's a stunning piece of tech.  Its low light performance is incredible due to the widest aperture around, and as a bonus it takes great video.  All the effects/panoramics/etc you could want in a pocketable size.

If the purpose of your trip was specifically photography then I'd recommend the GH3, but from what you say the purpose seems to be enjoyment, with a camera there to capture memories more than anything else.  The LX7 does that, and brilliantly.

Alumna Gorp Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

John.Laninga wrote:

I'm about to leave on a long cruise (minimal photo ops) followed by a week in Rome, then a week in London before heading home. I can take either of these two kits but I can't make up my mind:

I already own both of these setups, but the question really boils down to what to take. The LX-7 is obviously much easier to carry, and I have found it to be a very capable little camera when paired with the LVF-2. And in the waist bag it is virtually theft proof, and leaves both hands free.

But the GH3 with lenses isn't all THAT big, and is weatherproof (may be a big deal in London). But, it means carrying a messenger bag, and making sure it doen't disappear in busy tourist places. And, we'll be doing a LOT of walking, and we're not young anymore...

The draw of the GH3 is strong, but the portability of the LX7 is also in favor.... what would you do?

Neither, for me the X-Z2 or Fuji X20

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,386

I can't imagine wanting a 35-100 enough to pay the money for it and then to leave it at home when I had a great photo opportinity.

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
drcPhoto
drcPhoto Contributing Member • Posts: 611

Well, considering the destinations and the incredible photo opportunities, I would sure take my own GH3 and the two zooms (which I also own).  They would be great and so would the photo/video memories I would have with them.   Just not a consideration IMO.

Have a great trip!

Dale

drcPhoto's gear list:drcPhoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +27 more
BigBarney Senior Member • Posts: 2,722
Like you...

John.Laninga wrote:

I'm about to leave on a long cruise (minimal photo ops) followed by a week in Rome, then a week in London before heading home. I can take either of these two kits but I can't make up my mind:

I already own both of these setups, but the question really boils down to what to take. The LX-7 is obviously much easier to carry, and I have found it to be a very capable little camera when paired with the LVF-2. And in the waist bag it is virtually theft proof, and leaves both hands free.

But the GH3 with lenses isn't all THAT big, and is weatherproof (may be a big deal in London). But, it means carrying a messenger bag, and making sure it doen't disappear in busy tourist places. And, we'll be doing a LOT of walking, and we're not young anymore...

... I am not getting any younger. I shoot with either or both of a GH2 and an LX3, so similar to yourself, but a generation or two earlier as far as the cameras are concerned. I am big enough and strong enough that carrying the GH2 and its full complement of lenses is not a physical problem for me, but now I find that I tend to take both cameras rather than one or the other.

The time that the LX3 comes into its own is when I want to spend as much time as possible appreciating my surroundings rather than trying to record them, artistically or otherwise. When visiting somewhere new and interesting I often find that I suffer from an internal conflict as to whether I should be recording a scene or just appreciating it.

In the summer of 2010 we decided to start a Spanish holiday in Madrid, a city I know well from working there on many occasions and then go on to explore parts of Spain relatively unknown to us in Galicia. The LX3 on its own was an admirable companion for both low light interior shots and architectural and landscape shots thanks to its fast lens and excellent image stabilisation.

The great advantage of the LX3/7 on its own is that it does not make you stand out as a tourist all the time, something the GH2/3 will always do.

For me the bottom line is therefore that either or both your cameras will do the job, and the combination that you choose should be selected more for your shooting style than any other factor.

BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,074
I'd want both for when the boat breaks down...

And with the GH3's WiFi you could do distress image blogging from your captivity at sea.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
paul cool
paul cool Senior Member • Posts: 1,526

you are right to be cautious in London 160 I phones get stolen daily ,

paul cool's gear list:paul cool's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717

John.Laninga wrote:

John,

Personally, as long as you find the GH3 fine to use in general use (ie its not too heavy), I would take that. There's no reason why you couldn't do the whole of London with the 12-35 to be honest. I regularly wander around with my GH3 or X-Pro1 in a billingham hadley pro or small bag with maybe one other lens.

As for crime, I don't think its too bad in either Rome or London unless you head out of the centre - just the occasional opportunist who will try to bamboozle the unwary. Frankly if people you don't know approach you and they aren't uniformed police or staff at an attraction, just ignore them and move on (they'll be used to it). I can't speak for Rome but in London it isn't considered impolite at all to just ignore people with leaflets or fliers or say "no thanks" and walk on. I seem to remember telling some burbling halfwit in Rome (he was attempting to distract me with some nonsense about David Beckham) to b*gger off and he was fairly sanguin about the whole thing before moving on.

There is another phenomena in London worth mentioning. The centre is infested with chuggers (charity muggers) who will seriously waste the time of the unwary attempting to secure charitable donations (I should point out there is nothing wrong with charities but I object to being actively badgered on the street) - adopt the technique above to avoid them.

Being weatherproof is a big deal in London (and Rome if you get caught in a downpour). The GH3 plus either X lens is ideal for our (wet) spring. Make sure you bring both hoods - they don't just protect from the sun...

Only other observation I would make is that I would prefer a UWA lens to a zoom as a second lens but maybe that's just me.

I hope that helps.

Best

Simon

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads