Anyone here left mirrorless for DSLR?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,291
Anyone here left mirrorless for DSLR?

Posted this over at FujiX forum but got few responses so I'm looking for advices from people who actually switched from mirrorless to FF DSLR. I'm thinking about selling everything and get a 6D + an X100s.

This is my current setup, with 2 good manual lenses. I used my old T2i for this shot and can't help noticing how much easier it is to use a Canon in a "studio" situation like this. I was shooting one handed, with the other hand holding up a reflector.

I love the Fuji colors and the manual controls but can't get over the slow AF and the quirks. When I put them all in a bag, the bag is not lighter than a 6D with a 50/1.8, 85/1.8 and a 28/2.8. Because of this I don't take them out much and resort to using my crappy cellphone camera. With the X100s, I could just throw it in a glovebox/bike compartment and use it all the time.

I also use wireless flashes *a lot* and the Fuji is not exactly the best for that (sync speed, compatibility, TTL, remembering fine-tuned shutter speed..). Canon, on the other hand, has a plethora of great third party flash products. Bonus: X100s would give me insane sync speed.

What do you all think?

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ewhip Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: Anyone here left mirrorless for DSLR?

I WANT to love mirrorless, and I've tried it a couple of times. Generally the size, weight and features of mirrorless are very appealing to me, but in actual practice I just find them... unsatisfying I suppose. The smaller size always sounds like a good idea, but I tend to find those small cameras fiddly and hard to use in the real world. I can't get used to electronic viewfinders or framing and focusing on the back screen with the camera held out in front of me..... Some of the mirrorless bodies seem kind of toy-ish in practice...

Don't get me wrong - they are very good cameras and I've seen some stunning images taken with them. And I know a lot of people love their actual functionality and operating experience. I just don't. Maybe it's just because I'm old and cranky, but I just get more satisfaction out of a slightly more traditional DSLR style body. My skills aren't high enough that I'd ever tax a mirrorless unit beyond it's capabilities, but I just prefer the feel and functionality of DSLRs overall....

ewhip's gear list:ewhip's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
ZH
ZH Regular Member • Posts: 134

I tried to replace my trusty old 20D in with the Fuji XE-1 kit. I really wanted to love the Fuji but in the end it just didn't fit my shooting style. Ultimately, the Fuji's AF system and lack of HSS/wireless flashes led to my decision to sell it. In all fairness back in the film days I always preferred SLR's pver rangefinders so I don't think it was meant to be. I ended up buying the 5D3 kit, 600ex and st-e3 and it's perfect for my needs.

I'm sure I will try mirroless again at some point but as a supplelemental camera to my 5D3 and not a replacement.

ZH's gear list:ZH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Pixma iP100 +9 more
brian teasdale Forum Member • Posts: 54

ZH wrote:

I tried to replace my trusty old 20D in with the Fuji XE-1 kit. I really wanted to love the Fuji but in the end it just didn't fit my shooting style. Ultimately, the Fuji's AF system and lack of HSS/wireless flashes led to my decision to sell it. In all fairness back in the film days I always preferred SLR's pver rangefinders so I don't think it was meant to be. I ended up buying the 5D3 kit, 600ex and st-e3 and it's perfect for my needs.

I'm sure I will try mirroless again at some point but as a supplelemental camera to my 5D3 and not a replacement.

Same here went from a 20d to a nikon 300s but could`nt live with the devil

got an NEX7 to loose some weight  but find it fiddly with my big hands so im

looking at a 5d3,really can`t wait to get back to Canon

brian teasdale's gear list:brian teasdale's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200 F4 II
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,148

I got a NEX-5n a couple of years ago.

It has decent to excellent image quality up to ISO 1600. At ISO 200 it's identical to my 1D Mark IV.

Shot with Canon FD 85mm f1.8 wide open at ISO 1600.

It's difficult to operate even with my girl-sized fingers. Every adjustment is two or more tiny button presses and I'm constantly forgetting them. I'm also accidentally pressing the dial sometimes just handling the camera.

I don't expect much in fast lenses for these cameras. The Canon FD 85mm f1.8 and 55mm f1.2 dwarf the camera. These lens also dwarfed the A-1 and AE-1 bodies back in the day, but I don't think consumers will accept that form factor now. There will be only be slow zooms instead.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D X +13 more
riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 6,867

Really there's no reason to switch anything. Different tools for different uses. Brand loyalty is only useful if there is a benefit.  Having a mirrorless kit from Fuji available when size, weight, discretion, overshadows the ease and simplicity of a well performing DSLR, totally makes practical sense in those circumstances. You already have the kit and know how to use it. You dont need to justify to anyone the need to now also have a good DSLR rig. Use both.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM HTC One
Colin Smith1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,004

At the age of 65 and still traveling the world, the idea of a mirrorless system like the Olympus OM5-D, has really appealed to me.  The size and weight of my 500 F4 and two camera bodies is getting to be a chore to carry on planes and thru airports. After a ton of research I decided that a mirrorless system, even though much easier to travel with, just wouldn't fit my wildlife and landscape interests.  The telephotos are pretty much all zooms and slower than what I currently own and just not as sharp.  The number one reason not to switch was the slow, inconsistent tracking autofocus.  A definite stopper for a wildlife photographer.  Couple that with having to completely learn a new system - well it just won't work for this old timer.  Since you already have the Fuji, why not add a full frame SLR to your kit and have the best of both worlds?

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Colin Smith1's gear list:Colin Smith1's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326

I currently have an NEX 5N and I am considering a bump up to the 6d, largely for lower light performance (and better AF).

My problem is that I really, really like my Zeiss 24/1.8 lens. I love the image quality I get until I reach higher ISOs (even though the APS-C is pretty darn good compared to other similarly sized sensors and smaller). I love that I can focus as closely as 6". I barely use another lens. This Zeiss lens is roughly equivalent to the Sigma 35/1.4 lens on a 6d (FOV). But the fast 35s on FF focus only at 11" or 12", so that's a disappointment to me, but not a deal killer. I've thought about getting the 6d and the 50/1.2 (I am actually renting this combo for a trip to New Orleans soon) and Sigma 35/1.4, but keeping my NEX 5N to use with my fisheye lens and my Contax G 90/2.8 (about 135 FOV on FF). I also have a Canon FDn 50/1.4 (about a 75 FOV on FF). That combo and those lenses cover 99.5% of all the shots I want. So, we'll see how the test run goes in New Orleans.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more

I carry around the 5n with a 55mm f1.2 on it. It's just like when I would carry an AE-1 with black and white film that was pushable to ISO 1600 which is as far as the 5n is good at. I've rarely used it. Occasionally I pull it out and recharge the battery.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D X +13 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915
Perhaps M43 is better for you?

I use Canon FF (5D3) and M43.  They are good complements and make a good side-by-side system.  The 5D3 gets the DOF, high ISO, radio triggers, AFC stuff.  M43 is for travel, casual use, hiking + landscapes, and discreet use.

A GX1 or EPM2/EPL5 (same sensor as OMD-EM5) with one of the pancake lenses is pretty small and AF-S is quick and sure. The fuji X system is great, but it seems like your needs are split between small discreet and performance.  This is exactly why I run M43 and FF DSLR.

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer
"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

OP hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,291

I see the common answer here is to use both systems. I'm sure I'll end up getting two similar sets of (equivalent) lenses because these are the focal lengths that I know and love. Sure it'd be nice to have choices, but the frugal person in me does not approve that, not to mention the wife

I'm looking at the 6D because I already have the 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 lying around along with a set of Canon-compatible triggers/flashes. The wifi tethering would help a lot too. I'm also used to Canon's controls since I've been using them for a decade now.

It'll probably take a year or two and CaNikon's push to make mirrorless systems a serious DSLR replacement. Before that it might make sense to sit out and wait.

gfspencer Contributing Member • Posts: 517

I have three systems (Cannon 6D DSLR, Leica M and the Panasonic GX-1 Micro 4/3). (I probably have two systems to many. ) They serve different purposes. The Panasonic GX-1 is usually my backup camera whenever I carry the Canon or the Leica. The Panasonic is also good on it's own as an easy to carry camera with decent output.

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM +5 more
Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,872

I have the Fujifilm X-E1 and love it.  However, there things it simply cannot do yet.  I did a photoshoot with a young model over the weekend.  I was experimenting with outdoor flash.  To blur the background I was using a Canon 85 mm f1.8 on a 5D MKIII at f2.8.  Boy were the images sharp and the background nicely blurred as shown below.

No way I could have done that with my X-E1.  The equivalent lens is not out yet, but more importantly, their flash system has no hi speed sync, nor can I see how to trigger multiple flashes and maintain TTL as I did here.

Canon 5D MKIII with 85 mm f1.8 exposed at f2.8

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,548

Great to own both.  I have a 5d3 with a bunch of high quality L lenses, and and nex system which with the kit lens, and 50 1.8 makes a great light combination.  It does better video, b/c of the focus tracking, and my wife loves to use it. also, if I am going on a casual outing, a walk, or to a party or wedding, and dont want to look like a total geek with my huge camera and multiple lenses, I just take the nex.  its also great for hiking.

Yes, 5d3 is much nicer to use, much better focus, and takes much better pictures.

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EOS 80D Sony a7R II +25 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326

I have the Fujifilm X-E1 and love it. However, there things it simply cannot do yet. I did a photoshoot with a young model over the weekend. I was experimenting with outdoor flash. To blur the background I was using a Canon 85 mm f1.8 on a 5D MKIII at f2.8. Boy were the images sharp and the background nicely blurred as shown below.

No way I could have done that with my X-E1. The equivalent lens is not out yet, but more importantly, their flash system has no hi speed sync, nor can I see how to trigger multiple flashes and maintain TTL as I did here.

Canon 5D MKIII with 85 mm f1.8 exposed at f2.8

On my NEX 5N there is a native 50/1.8 (so it would be similar to a 75 on your 5DIII at f/2.8) - not too far off of the lens you used. And on an APS-C system like the NEX or X-E1 that should easily be sufficient to get sharp portraits with a blurred background. For example:

And "equivalent lens is a bit of a stretch when just about any legacy lens in existence can be used. If you mean, equivalent and AF then that would be accurate. On the other hand, I am talking NEX and perhaps Fujifilm doesn't have the same selection or perhaps legacy glass doesn't work on the X-E1.

Using the Contax G 90/2.8 at f/2.8 makes for a terrific portrait lens. Sharpness and clarity up the whazoo:

zoom in on his eyes and you can see me standing in front of a window taking this photo - heh

I don't have the best compositional abilities as I am still learning, but the lens and camera combos here are more than satisfactory, I think.

My push towards FF isn't because of image quality in good light; rather, I am more concerned about shooting available light when the light is low.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more

The problem with the my X-E1 has little to do with the lenses.  I have a 35 mm f1.4 (about 50 mm equivalent on a full frame camera) that is terrific.  In fact it is a lot better than the canon 50 mm f1.4.  Fujifilm has announced an f1.4 lens which will be a 90 mm equivalent on a full frame camera for the fall..  I also have a 14 mm f2.8 that just arrived.  The Fuji optics are world class (think Zeiss and Leica).  For landscapes, I use the Fuji exclusively.

The problem is their flash system.  I shot the attached picture outdoors.  I used ambient light for the fill, and one 580 EXII in an umbrella for the main light and a second 580 EXII to bring out the highlights in the hair.  Shooting at f2.8 gave me a shutter speed of 1/400 even at ISO 50.  No way I could have done that shot without hi speed sync.  No flash compatible with the Fuji system is capable of hi speed sync.

-- hide signature --

I am actually using my Fuji X-E1 for serious photography.  Combine world class optics with no AA filter, and you have a compact system that gives my 5DMKIII with L lenses a run for its money in many cases.

-- hide signature --
OP hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,291

The 35/1.4 is very nice, my most used lens, though soft toward corners. But when you close the Canon 50/1.4 down to f/2 (to get similar DOF), it's not too shabby either. The new Sigma 50/1.4 is supposed to be insanely sharp too.

You're absolutely right that a minimum ISO of 200, hard-to-access 1/180s sync speed and no HSS is not great for flash photography. That is why I drool over the X100s so much.

sean lancaster: I have the Contax 90 too (pictured above), it's a good lens, contrast is a little low wide open.

sean lancaster wrote:

On my NEX 5N there is a native 50/1.8 (so it would be similar to a 75 on your 5DIII at f/2.8) - not too far off of the lens you used.

I should get the E-mount 50mm f1.8 but my forty year old 55mm f1.2 is a weird lens and is bringing back memories of shooting for the high school year book.

Terrible shots! I cringe when I see them now. No wonder I went into computers.

WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,158
I have both: m43 and 6D

Tried going mirrorless completely, but I just really like the big rig, especially with flash and the full frame sensor. Got a 5Dc in the fall, and moved up to 6D a month ago.

I reserve m43 for my mirrorless, because it's far more compact than the others, with just as good image quality for what I want.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads