Question for those with X100 & X100s - important?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions
Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Question for those with X100 & X100s - important?

I am a little concerned because there is a thread up here at the moment posting random images from the new X100s.  There are a few folks on there not happy with the look of the X sensor and some are downright unhappy.  They are asserting that the new X100 has lost that beautiful soft dreamy look that we all loved so much, to be replaced with some harsh, paint-like look.  I can't see, on those samples at least, what they are trying to say, but you usually don't until you take your own pic's, get them in L/R, and put them on 100%.

My camera store rang me yesterday and my newly ordered X100s is waiting for me at Camera Electronic in Perth, WA.  I will be there for Easter next week and plan to pick up my new order.  We have no return policy like you lucky boys in the States do.   If I blow my 1.3K (or whatever it is), on this contraption and get it back home here and find out what they are saying is true - I am stuck with it!

I use my X100 as my main and only 'wide angle-ish lens' on my extended trips to Asia.  I am heading off again shortly for 6 months to Myanmar, Laos and Nepal.   I only take my X100 and D700 with one lens (80-200 IFED 2.8D) - so it is of significant importance to me that the new X100 has not destroyed that look that we have grown to appreciate so much from the 'old' X100.   This camera takes a large proportion of the pic's that I sell and distribute, so I certainly don't want the look of the 'old' X100 to be destroyed by this new beast.

I sold off my X-Pro1, because I did not like the look of what the sensor was putting out compared to the X100 (but mostly because the camera was woefully slow with 60mm lens).  I know the X100s has a similar sensor, but I was hoping the lens was the factor that made that special look we have grown to love.

I am only getting the S because of advanced handling and faster speed.   I don't need the 16mp and I certainly don't need the look of the files to be changed.

If anybody can help with my inquiry it would be greatly appreciated.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
knowmostofit Regular Member • Posts: 132
Re: Question for those with X100 & X100s - important?

Sutto wrote:

I am a little concerned because there is a thread up here at the moment posting random images from the new X100s. There are a few folks on there not happy with the look of the X sensor and some are downright unhappy. They are asserting that the new X100 has lost that beautiful soft dreamy look that we all loved so much, to be replaced with some harsh, paint-like look. I can't see, on those samples at least, what they are trying to say, but you usually don't until you take your own pic's, get them in L/R, and put them on 100%.

My camera store rang me yesterday and my newly ordered X100s is waiting for me at Camera Electronic in Perth, WA. I will be there for Easter next week and plan to pick up my new order. We have no return policy like you lucky boys in the States do. If I blow my 1.3K (or whatever it is), on this contraption and get it back home here and find out what they are saying is true - I am stuck with it!

I use my X100 as my main and only 'wide angle-ish lens' on my extended trips to Asia. I am heading off again shortly for 6 months to Myanmar, Laos and Nepal. I only take my X100 and D700 with one lens (80-200 IFED 2.8D) - so it is of significant importance to me that the new X100 has not destroyed that look that we have grown to appreciate so much from the 'old' X100. This camera takes a large proportion of the pic's that I sell and distribute, so I certainly don't want the look of the 'old' X100 to be destroyed by this new beast.

I sold off my X-Pro1, because I did not like the look of what the sensor was putting out compared to the X100 (but mostly because the camera was woefully slow with 60mm lens). I know the X100s has a similar sensor, but I was hoping the lens was the factor that made that special look we have grown to love.

I am only getting the S because of advanced handling and faster speed. I don't need the 16mp and I certainly don't need the look of the files to be changed.

If anybody can help with my inquiry it would be greatly appreciated.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Well, there are a lot of words in this post, but where's the question that's so important?

OP Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Re: Question for those with X100 & X100s - important?

Oh, must have been too verbose, so the main point was missed - sorry.  Do the files (pic's) from the new X100, retain the look that we appreciated so much from the old X100 (that lovely soft, dreamy kind of look that many people commented on)?  Or, does the new X100 in fact have that harsh, X sensor look that some people are trying to say on the post of samples I referred to?

That's all.

sutto

philipsuttophotography.com

Ryan Williams
Ryan Williams Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Re: Question for those with X100 & X100s - important?

Comparisons have already been posted in this forum where the same photographer took the same photos using both the X100 and X100s. To my eyes the difference wasn't particularly striking, apart from a slightly different colour signature (that could have just as easily been white balance).

I haven't seen any night shot comparisons so perhaps the X100's trademark highlight blooming has been lost, but I'd have expected the lens to be the main cause of that.

sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Don't get over excited - people twisted some hastily processed photos to suit their views
1

Sutto wrote:

I am a little concerned because there is a thread up here at the moment posting random images from the new X100s. There are a few folks on there not happy with the look of the X sensor and some are downright unhappy. They are asserting that the new X100 has lost that beautiful soft dreamy look that we all loved so much, to be replaced with some harsh, paint-like look. I can't see, on those samples at least, what they are trying to say, but you usually don't until you take your own pic's, get them in L/R, and put them on 100%.

My camera store rang me yesterday and my newly ordered X100s is waiting for me at Camera Electronic in Perth, WA. I will be there for Easter next week and plan to pick up my new order. We have no return policy like you lucky boys in the States do. If I blow my 1.3K (or whatever it is), on this contraption and get it back home here and find out what they are saying is true - I am stuck with it!

I use my X100 as my main and only 'wide angle-ish lens' on my extended trips to Asia. I am heading off again shortly for 6 months to Myanmar, Laos and Nepal. I only take my X100 and D700 with one lens (80-200 IFED 2.8D) - so it is of significant importance to me that the new X100 has not destroyed that look that we have grown to appreciate so much from the 'old' X100. This camera takes a large proportion of the pic's that I sell and distribute, so I certainly don't want the look of the 'old' X100 to be destroyed by this new beast.

I sold off my X-Pro1, because I did not like the look of what the sensor was putting out compared to the X100 (but mostly because the camera was woefully slow with 60mm lens). I know the X100s has a similar sensor, but I was hoping the lens was the factor that made that special look we have grown to love.

I am only getting the S because of advanced handling and faster speed. I don't need the 16mp and I certainly don't need the look of the files to be changed.

If anybody can help with my inquiry it would be greatly appreciated.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

I was the one who posted some of the shots in question. I can't get too excited about the criticisms: not sharp enough, not detailed enough at 100%, too detailed at full screen size, blotchy skin tones. Largely what people were complaining about was: (a) contradictory; and (b) largely about the way I processed the RAW files. Frankly, I wish I hadn't made the post or hadn't posted 100% results, but I was excited and carried away with my new camera.

I can't say I get too excited about any difference between the X100 and the X100S given that I much preferred the rendering from the X-Pro1 to the X100 in any case, but it isn't that different - to me the X100S looks more realistic or more film like (with realistic graduated colour transitions) whereas the X100 is more "digital" and if I'm honest its sometimes difficult to see the difference between files out of the X100 and the E-M5 + 17 F1.8 (the main difference being the performance/sharpness of the X100 lens).

The lens hasn't changed but the sensor has - the X100S has better colour transitions and greater resolution. Objectively There is a minor issue around the way LR deals with the X100S files (as opposed to X-Pro1 and X-E1 files) which is only visible at 100% - I don't think its worth worrying about in a release candidate version and I've reported it as a bug to adobe. The OOC jpegs are a step up on the X100S (over the X100) and are objectively stunning.

This is my way of saying don't worry about it, the X100S will float your boat if the X100 did, only more so.

 sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Re: Question for those with X100 & X100s - important?

Sutto wrote:

I am a little concerned because there is a thread up here at the moment posting random images from the new X100s. There are a few folks on there not happy with the look of the X sensor and some are downright unhappy. They are asserting that the new X100 has lost that beautiful soft dreamy look that we all loved so much, to be replaced with some harsh, paint-like look. I can't see, on those samples at least, what they are trying to say, but you usually don't until you take your own pic's, get them in L/R, and put them on 100%.

My camera store rang me yesterday and my newly ordered X100s is waiting for me at Camera Electronic in Perth, WA. I will be there for Easter next week and plan to pick up my new order. We have no return policy like you lucky boys in the States do. If I blow my 1.3K (or whatever it is), on this contraption and get it back home here and find out what they are saying is true - I am stuck with it!

I use my X100 as my main and only 'wide angle-ish lens' on my extended trips to Asia. I am heading off again shortly for 6 months to Myanmar, Laos and Nepal. I only take my X100 and D700 with one lens (80-200 IFED 2.8D) - so it is of significant importance to me that the new X100 has not destroyed that look that we have grown to appreciate so much from the 'old' X100. This camera takes a large proportion of the pic's that I sell and distribute, so I certainly don't want the look of the 'old' X100 to be destroyed by this new beast.

I sold off my X-Pro1, because I did not like the look of what the sensor was putting out compared to the X100 (but mostly because the camera was woefully slow with 60mm lens). I know the X100s has a similar sensor, but I was hoping the lens was the factor that made that special look we have grown to love.

I am only getting the S because of advanced handling and faster speed. I don't need the 16mp and I certainly don't need the look of the files to be changed.

If anybody can help with my inquiry it would be greatly appreciated.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

I was the one who posted some of the shots in question. I can't get too excited about the criticisms: not sharp enough, not detailed enough at 100%, too detailed at full screen size, blotchy skin tones. Largely what people were complaining about was: (a) contradictory; and (b) largely about the way I processed the RAW files. Frankly, I wish I hadn't made the post or hadn't posted 100% results, but I was excited and carried away with my new camera.

I can't say I get too excited about any difference between the X100 and the X100S given that I much preferred the rendering from the X-Pro1 to the X100 in any case, but it isn't that different - to me the X100S looks more realistic or more film like (with realistic graduated colour transitions) whereas the X100 is more "digital" and if I'm honest its sometimes difficult to see the difference between files out of the X100 and the E-M5 + 17 F1.8 (the main difference being the performance/sharpness of the X100 lens).

The lens hasn't changed but the sensor has - the X100S has better colour transitions and greater resolution. Objectively There is a minor issue around the way LR deals with the X100S files (as opposed to X-Pro1 and X-E1 files) which is only visible at 100% - I don't think its worth worrying about in a release candidate version and I've reported it as a bug to adobe. The OOC jpegs are a step up on the X100S (over the X100) and are objectively stunning.

This is my way of saying don't worry about it, the X100S will float your boat if the X100 did, only more so.

 sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Velu Contributing Member • Posts: 505
Re: Don't get over excited - people twisted some hastily processed photos to suit their views

sgoldswo wrote:

... to me the X100S looks more realistic or more film like (with realistic graduated colour transitions) whereas the X100 is more "digital" ..

Do I get this right !? The files of the x100s look more film-like compared with the X100's ?

Sounds positive

-- hide signature --

www.veluart.com

Velu Contributing Member • Posts: 505
Re: Question for those with X100 & X100s - important?

Sutto wrote:

I am a little concerned because there is a thread up here at the moment posting random images from the new X100s. There are a few folks on there not happy with the look of the X sensor and some are downright unhappy. They are asserting that the new X100 has lost that beautiful soft dreamy look that we all loved so much, to be replaced with some harsh, paint-like look. I can't see, on those samples at least, what they are trying to say, but you usually don't until you take your own pic's, get them in L/R, and put them on 100%.

My camera store rang me yesterday and my newly ordered X100s is waiting for me at Camera Electronic in Perth, WA. I will be there for Easter next week and plan to pick up my new order. We have no return policy like you lucky boys in the States do. If I blow my 1.3K (or whatever it is), on this contraption and get it back home here and find out what they are saying is true - I am stuck with it!

I use my X100 as my main and only 'wide angle-ish lens' on my extended trips to Asia. I am heading off again shortly for 6 months to Myanmar, Laos and Nepal. I only take my X100 and D700 with one lens (80-200 IFED 2.8D) - so it is of significant importance to me that the new X100 has not destroyed that look that we have grown to appreciate so much from the 'old' X100. This camera takes a large proportion of the pic's that I sell and distribute, so I certainly don't want the look of the 'old' X100 to be destroyed by this new beast.

I sold off my X-Pro1, because I did not like the look of what the sensor was putting out compared to the X100 (but mostly because the camera was woefully slow with 60mm lens). I know the X100s has a similar sensor, but I was hoping the lens was the factor that made that special look we have grown to love.

I am only getting the S because of advanced handling and faster speed. I don't need the 16mp and I certainly don't need the look of the files to be changed.

If anybody can help with my inquiry it would be greatly appreciated.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Philip,

Considering the upgrade as well, since I love the X100 and would embrace every improvement they've made ...

Buying early puts you in a "guinea pig" stage but sometimes one has no choice

Keep us posted and have a great and safe trip

Rgds

Velu

-- hide signature --

www.veluart.com

stdavid Senior Member • Posts: 1,842
Re: Question for those with X100 & X100s - important?

Look at the new 100s pics D/P posted on this site and form your own conclusions.

-- hide signature --

Quote: Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Oscar Wilde

OP Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Thanks sgoldswo

Glad you took the time to explain that.   Yes, I understand what you say.  Sometimes one sets out to post something on here to be helpful, and you get criticized for it.  Don't doubt yourself though, I am glad you did and your comments are very helpful.

Cheers

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

K10D Contributing Member • Posts: 810
Re: Thanks sgoldswo

Hi Sutto

If you don't want it can you let me know, Camera Electronics only have a few that are going to pre-orders.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Bob
Perth, Western Australia

photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,623
Take both and report back when you can

You actually take pictures.  So may here are just collecting cameras (like me) or pixel peeping (like me).

I would be very interested in a report of an actual photographer comparing the two, rally they are completely different cameras the X100 and the X100S.

 photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Apple iPhone X
OP Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Re: Take both and report back when you can

That's a funny comment photo/perzon - if I travel six months a year taking photos for the website, I think it is obvious that I take photos.   My D700 and X100 are my bread and butter, so this is a serious question for me.

K10D - Yes I usually deal with Christos or Gavin at Camera Electronic.  Four new X100s cameras came in on Monday this week.  I rang up in the morning and put in an order - they rang me two hours later and said 4 had arrived - wow what timing ha!  All four went to prior orders - I was the lucky last.

Can't wait to get my grimers on this little baby.   My X100 is the most awesome travel camera (for what I do), and I think the extra speed and improvement in other areas, will make this a killer combo with my D700.

Hope you get one soon man!

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

rich789 Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Take both and report back when you can

That's a funny comment photo/perzon - if I travel six months a year taking photos for the website, I think it is obvious that I take photos. My D700 and X100 are my bread and butter, so this is a serious question for me.

K10D - Yes I usually deal with Christos or Gavin at Camera Electronic. Four new X100s cameras came in on Monday this week. I rang up in the morning and put in an order - they rang me two hours later and said 4 had arrived - wow what timing ha! All four went to prior orders - I was the lucky last.

Can't wait to get my grimers on this little baby. My X100 is the most awesome travel camera (for what I do), and I think the extra speed and improvement in other areas, will make this a killer combo with my D700.

Hope you get one soon man!

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Phillip, I just love your photos !!!!

Thankyou I have booked your site.

philipsuttonphotography.com

 rich789's gear list:rich789's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
OP Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Re: Take both and report back when you can

Thanks Rich789, I appreciate the nice comment.  Yes I love photography so much, it is my main passion in life.  That is why I work six months of the year and travel the other six. I couldn't imagine a life without photography.

Blessings

Philip

philipsuttonphotography.com

WolfyWho
WolfyWho Contributing Member • Posts: 970
Re: Take both and report back when you can

Thanks Rich789, I appreciate the nice comment. Yes I love photography so much, it is my main passion in life. That is why I work six months of the year and travel the other six. I couldn't imagine a life without photography.

Blessings

Philip

philipsuttonphotography.com

6 months on, 6 months off.  That sounds like a great gig.  May I ask what your main vocation is that provides for 6 months of work per year?  I hope that's not too forward.

-wolfy

OP Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Re: Take both and report back when you can

Hey Wolfywho - thanks for taking the time to write, and no, that's not too forward.

I am very fortunate to be living in a gold-mining town in the Western Australian desert.  Not much of a social life here, but lots of work and very big money.   By vocation, I am normally a High School Teacher.   However, my dear old dad, many years ago, when I wanted to bomb out from high school at an early age - would not let me leave unless I did a trade.   I therefore spent 4 years doing my building and carpentry trade.   I later did the teaching degree at University as a mature age student.

With the huge paychecks here in the gold mining industry (most of the guys are on 120-200K per year), and not enough houses to go around for the workers (or the ones who have houses, many are very old), there is a real shortage of trades people here.  I gladly left teaching a few years ago and have my own building/contracting business.   Loads of work, really good pay, and nice people to deal with.   It seems - like me - half of my ex-patriots from New Zealand are over here - ha.

Yes, I am very blessed and do not take my lifestyle for granted.  I rent my house and live off that income whilst I travel for six months of the year (with the shortage of accommodation here, the rental income is very very high).   Our summers are very hot here in the desert, so I work our winter (April - September), and spend the rest of the year tripping asia taking pic's for the website.   I also make some money from photography, but it doesn't pay all of the bills - ha ha.

I hope that fills you in a bit on my situation.

Blessings

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

WolfyWho
WolfyWho Contributing Member • Posts: 970
Re: Take both and report back when you can

Sutto wrote:

Hey Wolfywho - thanks for taking the time to write, and no, that's not too forward.

I am very fortunate to be living in a gold-mining town in the Western Australian desert. Not much of a social life here, but lots of work and very big money. By vocation, I am normally a High School Teacher. However, my dear old dad, many years ago, when I wanted to bomb out from high school at an early age - would not let me leave unless I did a trade. I therefore spent 4 years doing my building and carpentry trade. I later did the teaching degree at University as a mature age student.

With the huge paychecks here in the gold mining industry (most of the guys are on 120-200K per year), and not enough houses to go around for the workers (or the ones who have houses, many are very old), there is a real shortage of trades people here. I gladly left teaching a few years ago and have my own building/contracting business. Loads of work, really good pay, and nice people to deal with. It seems - like me - half of my ex-patriots from New Zealand are over here - ha.

Yes, I am very blessed and do not take my lifestyle for granted. I rent my house and live off that income whilst I travel for six months of the year (with the shortage of accommodation here, the rental income is very very high). Our summers are very hot here in the desert, so I work our winter (April - September), and spend the rest of the year tripping asia taking pic's for the website. I also make some money from photography, but it doesn't pay all of the bills - ha ha.

I hope that fills you in a bit on my situation.

Blessings

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Thanks for your detailed reply, Philip.  You've definitely carved out a good life for yourself.  Nicely done!  I've visited your website in the past.  I really appreciate your work.

-wolfy

Rolf_52 Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Take both and report back when you can

Sutto wrote:

Thanks Rich789, I appreciate the nice comment. Yes I love photography so much, it is my main passion in life. That is why I work six months of the year and travel the other six. I couldn't imagine a life without photography.

Blessings

Philip

philipsuttonphotography.com

wonderful images in your portfolio...as good as it gets....so what's your take on X100 v X100s so far?

Regards,

Rolf

 Rolf_52's gear list:Rolf_52's gear list
Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850
OP Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Re: Take both and report back when you can

Hey Rolf - thanks for taking the time to post a question.   Yes, I am wondering that myself and I am about to find out.   As soon as I do a test, I will post the results on here.

My X100s has arrived at the camera shop in Perth.  However, I live over 600km away, in the desert.  I don't get there that often, but next week is Easter,, so will be going there for a few days.  I am so excited to get my hands on my new X100 - I think it will be a marvelous camera.

The X100 liberated me from having to carry two large body DSLR's around Asia for 6 months of the year.  I think I have a perfect combination now.  My trusty D700 with 80-200, for most of the portraits, street shots etc.  I then use the X100 for intimidate shots (up close to people, markets etc).   It is absolutely perfect that - quiet, not intimidating, the best fill in flash on the planet. That's it - that's all I need.  It suffices as my 'wide angle lens', so I don't have to be taking off my big lens and changing lenses in the street with all the dust in Asia.   I go with two cameras, two lenses and they never come off.

I trialled the Fuji X-Pro1 this year in Vietnam - but it failed badly.   I left the Nikon behind and wanted to use that instead, with the 18-55 and 60mm.  Great camera really, great photos, really sharp lenses - but just too slow in so many ways for the fast moving action in Asia.  I have decided that even when Fuji bring out the Pro2, I would not buy it.   I think it will be pretty perfect for most people, once all the little issues are ironed out, like with the X100.  However, with that type of sensor, no matter what lens you have on it - you just can't get enough shallow depth of field to isolate your subject from the background.  You will noticed a lot of the powerful pic's on my website - people are always isolated from the distracting surroundings, they stand out and that is what makes a powerful image.   I  can only do that with my 80-200 FX DSLR.

I am expecting great things from the new X100.   I think it will be the last Fuji I will have to buy.  As soon as I get it next week I will do a comparison with my existing X100, and put up a thread.

Cheers

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads