Canon 70-300 IS USM or Tamron 70-300 SP 70-300 lens?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions
BobT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,191
Canon 70-300 IS USM or Tamron 70-300 SP 70-300 lens?

The Tamron SP 70-300 (the newest version) has been getting lots of raves of late.  But can any of you compare it to the Canon 70-300 4-5.6 IS (non-L) lens?  Which do you feel is the better lens, and why?  Which lens do you feel is better all out, at 300mm?  Thank you.

 BobT's gear list:BobT's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
wildwilly
wildwilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,297
Re: Canon 70-300 IS USM or Tamron 70-300 SP 70-300 lens?

I did a while back try the Canon non L version and thought the auto focus speed was agonizingly slow. I ended up buying the Tamron and find it is quite acceptable for my purposes - focus speed is fine, sharpness is fine, stabilization is good. Samples from mine and the 7D are at: http://jwhphotos.zenfolio.com/p540996682

mtndew Senior Member • Posts: 1,341
Re: Canon 70-300 IS USM or Tamron 70-300 SP 70-300 lens?

wildwilly wrote:

I did a while back try the Canon non L version and thought the auto focus speed was agonizingly slow. I ended up buying the Tamron and find it is quite acceptable for my purposes - focus speed is fine, sharpness is fine, stabilization is good. Samples from mine and the 7D are at: http://jwhphotos.zenfolio.com/p540996682

It looks like you are getting quite sharp shots at 300mm at F6.7. so you are not having to stop down too much.  Nice work.  Are most of your shots handheld/tripod or both?

-- hide signature --

Rick,

Dave Throgmartin
Dave Throgmartin Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Re: Canon 70-300 IS USM or Tamron 70-300 SP 70-300 lens?

BobT wrote:

The Tamron SP 70-300 (the newest version) has been getting lots of raves of late. But can any of you compare it to the Canon 70-300 4-5.6 IS (non-L) lens? Which do you feel is the better lens, and why? Which lens do you feel is better all out, at 300mm? Thank you.

Bob,

I don't think you're going to find a better lens at 300mm than your 70-200 f/4 L IS without going up to the 70-300L or 100-400L.

What is it about your 70-200 with extender that you don't like?

Dave

OP BobT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,191
Re: Canon 70-300 IS USM or Tamron 70-300 SP 70-300 lens?

I have not been impressed with my 1.4X TC.  The images are noticably not a sharp as withut the TC and cropped to the same size.  Even my wife was quick to notice this.  I'm using a Kenko Pro 300 DGX TC with the blue dot.  It was the best off brand TC recommended for this lens.  I'm thinking that somehow, I might have a bad one.  I have a fellow willing to sell his Yamron 70-300 SP lens for $275.  That's almost the cost of another TC.  But if the Tammy is really poor at 300mm, I can easily for get about it.  Yet, the lens has some real impressed followers.

This si a tough call.  I have had the Canon 70-300 IS USM (non-L) lens a few years ago, and found it to be a great lens until I got the 70-200 "L".  So if the Tammy is at least as good as the Canon 70-300, it would be worth considering.  I would NOT get rid of my 70-200, however.

 BobT's gear list:BobT's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417
Re: Canon 70-300 IS USM or Tamron 70-300 SP 70-300 lens?

BobT wrote:

I have not been impressed with my 1.4X TC. The images are noticably not a sharp as withut the TC and cropped to the same size. Even my wife was quick to notice this. I'm using a Kenko Pro 300 DGX TC with the blue dot. It was the best off brand TC recommended for this lens. I'm thinking that somehow, I might have a bad one. I have a fellow willing to sell his Yamron 70-300 SP lens for $275. That's almost the cost of another TC. But if the Tammy is really poor at 300mm, I can easily for get about it. Yet, the lens has some real impressed followers.

This si a tough call. I have had the Canon 70-300 IS USM (non-L) lens a few years ago, and found it to be a great lens until I got the 70-200 "L". So if the Tammy is at least as good as the Canon 70-300, it would be worth considering. I would NOT get rid of my 70-200, however.

I had the 70-300VC last year but broke it. I also have the 70-200f/4IS L, but would certainly considder getting another Tammy. The most impressive part of it IMO, is the VC. It's amazing. The IQ at 300 is as good as any non L lens. Build is solid, & for the money I believe it's the best 70-300 out there.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

 happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,726
Tammy.

Without question.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +10 more
wildwilly
wildwilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,297
Re: Canon 70-300 IS USM or Tamron 70-300 SP 70-300 lens?

All my shots with that lens are handheld.

wildwilly
wildwilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,297
Question for clarification

Is the Tamron you are talking about the VC one? That is the one beng talked about here.

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,726
Re: Question for clarification

wildwilly wrote:

Is the Tamron you are talking about the VC one? That is the one beng talked about here.

Yes this one.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +10 more
wildwilly
wildwilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,297
Thanks, just wanted to make sure.
S Sanderson
S Sanderson Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Canon 70-300 IS USM or Tamron 70-300 SP 70-300 lens?

Alas, I can't speak for the Tamron, however I do own the 70-300. I must admit that I'm more than happy with the performance of this lens.

Here's some portrait examples at the 300 end (I think the quality's not too shabby, but then again, my standards may be lower...):



 S Sanderson's gear list:S Sanderson's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads