Nex-7 screen keeping a going black (turning off) happened 3-4 times today. Common fault?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions
wakkaday Regular Member • Posts: 195
Nex-7 screen keeping a going black (turning off) happened 3-4 times today. Common fault?

The LCD screen just turned black and I had to turn the camera on and off a few times before it would stay on

The battery was charged and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is this the heated sensor issue ...

It looks like I will return the camera. I'm not sure which camera to opt for next ? Nex-6 or wait for nex-7 upgrade

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wcdennis Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: Nex-7 screen keeping a going black (turning off) happened 3-4 times today. Common fault?

I guess you are aware that there is a sensor on the viewfinder that swaps the view from the large scree to the small one when you put your eye to it. On occasion I have had my camera strap fall over this sensor, and make me think the battery has just died. It is very sensitive. Even if you pass your hand near it, the screen will go blank. Just a thought.

wcdennis's gear list:wcdennis's gear list
Rokinon 16mm F2.0 ED AS UMC CS
ChangshaNotes
ChangshaNotes Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Nex-7 screen keeping a going black (turning off) happened 3-4 times today. Common fault?

How were you holding the camera at the time?

If you hold it too close to your body when using the screen the proximity sensor for the viewfinder will shut the screen off, the same way it shuts off when you bring the viewfinder to your eye.

ChangshaNotes's gear list:ChangshaNotes's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +12 more
OP wakkaday Regular Member • Posts: 195

Hmm that could be it... Where is the sensor exactly I will have a look

TrippleScar Forum Member • Posts: 52

If you look at the EVF on the right hand side. There is a small piece (roughly 2mm x 4mm) in a dark red/black glossy sensor. It look similar to the IR receiver on the front and on other cameras and/or remote controls.

TrippleScar's gear list:TrippleScar's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
KM Legacy Senior Member • Posts: 1,955

The screen is designed to go dark after a while, to save battery power. You can make it come on again by pushing the shutter release down partway. If you want it to stay on longer, you can set that up in the menu.

BennyKingston Regular Member • Posts: 166

wcdennis wrote:

I guess you are aware that there is a sensor on the viewfinder that swaps the view from the large scree to the small one when you put your eye to it. On occasion I have had my camera strap fall over this sensor, and make me think the battery has just died. It is very sensitive. Even if you pass your hand near it, the screen will go blank. Just a thought.

Is there a control on the 7 that can turn that action off? Stop that from happening if you wanted it to?

The Alpha DSLRs do that as well and it can be very annoying.

uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,929

wcdennis wrote:

Is there a control on the 7 that can turn that action off? Stop that from happening if you wanted it to?

The Alpha DSLRs do that as well and it can be very annoying.

Yes: look into the menu, somewhere on the last screen (in settings, I think it is called (lower right icon)) there is a viewfinder/LCDscreen switch: to either toggle or go with finder only or LCD only.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads