leaving olympus as main brand

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions
carizi
carizi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,225
Re: It's my fault, it's pay back, and I apologize

It could also be for the lack of new 4/3 Oly cam bodies......!!!!!!.......

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Private Custard
Private Custard Senior Member • Posts: 1,802
Re: Let's see

pris wrote:

how long it will take for the rest of "depression cavalry" to arrive. Like honey to flies.

Depression Cavalry reporting for duty sir *salutes*

E3 E510, bigma, 70-300, 30mm 1.4, 18-50 2.8 and other stuff.........safely stored in the cupboard. 7D & 100-400 L in my bag.

Hello!!

Private Custard's gear list:Private Custard's gear list
Canon EOS 80D
pris Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
Impostor alert!

Private Custard wrote:

pris wrote:

how long it will take for the rest of "depression cavalry" to arrive. Like honey to flies.

E3 E510, bigma, 70-300, 30mm 1.4, 18-50 2.8 and other stuff.........safely stored in the cupboard. 7D & 100-400 L in my bag.

Hello!!

What kind of Depression Cavalry rep are you?? You need to enter the door with 5-paragraph long explanation of why 4/3 is dead, why no new bodies will ever come, why we all must feel bitter and abandoned - and those are minimal requirements, just for entry! Sorry, you are disqualified.

Geo Wharton Senior Member • Posts: 1,321
Re: leaving olympus as main brand

Toni S wrote:

Decided to switch to Nikon D7000, did not look back.

Toni

And this is not looking back...

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F +35 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,312
The more things change, the more they stay the same......

Seems like only yesterday we got a post from someone with less than five postings in their history questioning Olympus. Perhaps they need to start their own forum, because it is certainly stale material here. I am reminded of the old adage, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Perhaps Deja-vu is for real after all!  I only wish I had so much time.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
Roger Engelken
Re: Input to this forum = 0 . Loss to this forum = 0. (n/t)

Amen!

Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
aja2
aja2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,657
Blame the Canon Mod for moving it here.

Hey, why not? Seems as good a reason as any!

Toni S New Member • Posts: 22

yup - but still interested what olympus is going to do - kind of like following a pathos-laden soap opera.

Toni

Toni S's gear list:Toni S's gear list
Olympus E-410 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +12 more
Private Custard
Private Custard Senior Member • Posts: 1,802
Re: Impostor alert!

pris wrote:

Private Custard wrote:

pris wrote:

Hello!!

What kind of Depression Cavalry rep are you?? You need to enter the door with 5-paragraph long explanation of why 4/3 is dead, why no new bodies will ever come, why we all must feel bitter and abandoned - and those are minimal requirements, just for entry! Sorry, you are disqualified.

I'm afraid I just can't be that downbeat about it!

Olympus just didn't have what I needed. Their ranged options go from 'entry level', straight to 'sell my kidneys to a Mexican billionaire'. Not what I needed. Now if I were a street-shooter or someone that photographed local sports and some events, I'd have stayed. But I needed something Oly just couldn't cater for at the moment.

I'm open to offers on my Oly gear though........I hear Bigmas on the four-thirds mount are rarer than rocking-horse dodo nowadays!!

Private Custard's gear list:Private Custard's gear list
Canon EOS 80D
pris Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
I don't know man...

Private Custard wrote:

pris wrote:

Private Custard wrote:

pris wrote:

Hello!!

I'm afraid I just can't be that downbeat about it!

Not being able to be "that downbeat" automatically disqualifies you from Depression Cavalry... sorry.  I will go into details below though so you don't feel the rejection is unfounded.

Olympus just didn't have what I needed. Their ranged options go from 'entry level', straight to 'sell my kidneys to a Mexican billionaire'. Not what I needed. Now if I were a street-shooter or someone that photographed local sports and some events, I'd have stayed. But I needed something Oly just couldn't cater for at the moment.

I'm open to offers on my Oly gear though........I hear Bigmas on the four-thirds mount are rarer than rocking-horse s**t nowadays!!

I can see you are honestly trying and I appreciate the effort, but you just don't give the right vibe... to be a part of that cavalry you MUST be "that downbeat," you see... drone and drone about decreasing market share, financial statements, gaps in lens lineup, abandonment of xxx-line users, century old sensors... These few lines you put up there just won't cut it.

Yvonne Contributing Member • Posts: 585

Hi Technokid

what are you asking the comunity for exactly? If you are looking for recommendations for alternative gear to your Oly stuff, then you are definitely in the wrong forum - or the wrong internet for that matter. I doubt very much that there are soothsayers here or visionaries who can know what your photo needs are without any explanation from your side. If you supply some information as to your shooting style, photographic interests and intended photo subjects, and also about your level of proficiency, I am sure you will get some very useful answers, not restricted to a particular brand, but possibly more inclined towards Olympus than other brands, as this _is_ the Olympus forum...You could also explain what it is exactly that you need and you cannot get from Olympus.

In the meantime to be honest, I find your arguments against Olympus more than a little arbitrary:

> - new oly lens price are not the cheapest,

do you really want the cheapest lenses? What about quality?

> - used oly lens in ebay are in reduced number and also not very cheap compared to other brands.

How many lenses do you need? Why do you not look to other sources of supply?

> - oly apeares to be uninterested in continuing 4/3 system, and is inclined in going micro 4/3.

this is definitely wrong, at least for the time being. There are news about an E-7, should be coming this year.

> - no video in oly 4/3 system (correct this one if wrong).

Ok, you are wrong: there is one: the E-5.

If you switch from your present gear, you will be spending more money on the replacement equipment than you would on a single Oly lens, even if you buy a really nice one.

Good luck to you in any case

Yvonne

-- hide signature --

'there is no normal life, there is just life'
Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) to Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell)
in 'Tombstone'
http://www.yvonnesteinmann.ch

Jim Ford Senior Member • Posts: 1,233

Yvonne wrote:

> - new oly lens price are not the cheapest,

do you really want the cheapest lenses? What about quality

I agree. Olympus don't compromise their reputation for quality by producing 'bottle-bottom' lenses.

Jim

John Iversen
John Iversen Contributing Member • Posts: 817
Re: Let's see

What the OP seemed to be looking for was a really good “pity party” for his impending divorce from Olympus . . . and BYOB, by the way.

I must say that this forum has done a miserable job of responding.  Matter of fact, the pity party doesn’t seem to have gotten any traction at all.  Terrible state of affairs.

Where are the Oly self-flagellants beating themselves bloody on their backs with the whips studded with out-of-date sensors?

Where is the procession of brightly robed Cardinals of Equivalency swinging their censers of pixel smoke?

Where are the Bishops of Bokeh, with their learned pronouncements as to how much DOF can be measured across the head of a pin?

And where is the 1022 choir, belting out chorus after hallelujiah chorus of

Can .    .    .    . iiiii  .    .    .    . kon

O

Can .    .    .    . iiiii  .    .    .    . kon

O canikon, o canikon, o canikon

As I said above, simply lousy response.

Time to seriously lift your game up; don’t give up on Olympolypse Now just because it didn’t happen last week, or last month, or last year as expected.  Keep the faith that we will be truly abandoned and that our long fast glass will be worth nothing more than common window glass at the recycling depot.  Keep the faith that the only reason Olympus continues to go forward is to truly, finally teach 4/3rds users the meaning of  utter despair.  Keep the faith that the rumored new 4/3rds body will have a Kodak sensor in it, obtained quite cheaply from Kodak’s garage sale of their pile of slightly-used patents.

Self pity – after all - is an infinite resource.  So don’t be at all afraid to use as much of it as you like.  Imagine the triumph you will feel when you know you are the single sad unfortunate left on the entire planet Earth who still has to shoot with 4/3rds gear.

Just imagine.

Salskov

-- hide signature --

"Shoot with what you got"

Yvonne Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Re: Let's see -- :-) -- brilliant - thanks!
-- hide signature --

'there is no normal life, there is just life'
Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) to Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell)
in 'Tombstone'
http://www.yvonnesteinmann.ch

TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
ZD lens prices are actually very good right now

Granted, this is only apparent if you can use and compare the lenses, and not compare just aperture and focal length. But, right now, you can get professional grade fast HG ZD lenses for what everyone else's intermediate/slower lenses are going for.

I've found that getting another lens, especially a very high quality lens, is almost like getting a new camera - you can get shots now that you could only dream of before.

Here in the US, some particularly good deals can be had, courtesy of the uncertainty that the rumor mills and naysayers have generated.

ZD 12-60. Going for $500-550 in good condition. Its closest competitor is a Zeiss zoom that goes for... $1500. And the 12-60 is regarded to be a sharper lens.

ZD 50-200. Older model is typically $500, newer SWD version is maybe $600. This is another utterly superb lens, that's sharp edge to edge, sharp wide open, and remains razor sharp when the light gets dim.

ZD 50 F2. $300-350. One of the sharpest lenses that can be had, at any price. Killer macro lens too, but it can do very well with portraits.

ZD 11-22. Hard to find, but in the $300 range, maybe less, when one does come up for sale. It's a wicked sharp wide angle lens that produces lovely shots. Yes, I'm looking for one.

I picked up a ZD 35-100 constant F2 last fall for... $1200, in absolutely mint condition. That's less than half what you'd pay for a lens of similar AOV, aperture, and quality from C/N.

And a couple of slower SG ZD lenses that are very cost effective:

ZD 9-18, $300 or so when they do come up for sale. Getting down in the ultrawide range with this one, and you can do fun things with ultrawide.

ZD 70-300. An underrated lens, typically goes for $200 here. I got one to use on the OMD, it works well, AF's very quickly, and that's less than half what I would have paid for a Panasonic 100-300 that isn't as sharp.

Strong rumors suggest that two new bodies are coming from Olympus by next fall: a new E, plus an OMD-Pro that will autofocus the better ZD lenses quickly. When one or both of those come out, ZD lens prices will probably creep up from increased demand.

So I might suggest that instead of buying another system, try one decent lens for the 420, like the 12-60. Note that you can shoot wide open without worrying about softness, and F2.8 is very nice to have. Open it up in dim light and note how well defined the in focus area is. An APS DSLR with kit grade glass just isn't going to give you that sort of sharpness and exquisite definition.

If you've only used kit grade glass in the past, the 12-60 will be a real treat. Until you've used HG or SHG ZD lenses, you really haven't seen 4/3 at its best.

Roger Engelken
Re: ZD lens prices are actually very good right now

TrapperJohn wrote:

Granted, this is only apparent if you can use and compare the lenses, and not compare just aperture and focal length. But, right now, you can get professional grade fast HG ZD lenses for what everyone else's intermediate/slower lenses are going for.

I've found that getting another lens, especially a very high quality lens, is almost like getting a new camera - you can get shots now that you could only dream of before.

Here in the US, some particularly good deals can be had, courtesy of the uncertainty that the rumor mills and naysayers have generated.

Yes, that is the ONE thing the naysayers and rumor mongers have done.  They have allowed others and myself to acquire lenses we would have otherwise been unable to afford.  I've purchased the 7-14, 14-35, 35-100, 150, 11-22 and 50-200 over the last nine months.  Thank you all, I now have all the lenses I can imagine needing. 

ZD 12-60. Going for $500-550 in good condition. Its closest competitor is a Zeiss zoom that goes for... $1500. And the 12-60 is regarded to be a sharper lens.

ZD 50-200. Older model is typically $500, newer SWD version is maybe $600. This is another utterly superb lens, that's sharp edge to edge, sharp wide open, and remains razor sharp when the light gets dim.

ZD 50 F2. $300-350. One of the sharpest lenses that can be had, at any price. Killer macro lens too, but it can do very well with portraits.

ZD 11-22. Hard to find, but in the $300 range, maybe less, when one does come up for sale. It's a wicked sharp wide angle lens that produces lovely shots. Yes, I'm looking for one.

Mine is not for sale 

I picked up a ZD 35-100 constant F2 last fall for... $1200, in absolutely mint condition. That's less than half what you'd pay for a lens of similar AOV, aperture, and quality from C/N.

That is a truly beautiful lens, worth every bit of the $1,200, or the $1,600 I paid for a new copy.

And a couple of slower SG ZD lenses that are very cost effective:

ZD 9-18, $300 or so when they do come up for sale. Getting down in the ultrawide range with this one, and you can do fun things with ultrawide.

I need to use my copy more often.  With the 11-22 and 7-14, the poor 9-18 is feeling neglected these days.  

ZD 70-300. An underrated lens, typically goes for $200 here. I got one to use on the OMD, it works well, AF's very quickly, and that's less than half what I would have paid for a Panasonic 100-300 that isn't as sharp.

Strong rumors suggest that two new bodies are coming from Olympus by next fall: a new E, plus an OMD-Pro that will autofocus the better ZD lenses quickly. When one or both of those come out, ZD lens prices will probably creep up from increased demand.

So I might suggest that instead of buying another system, try one decent lens for the 420, like the 12-60. Note that you can shoot wide open without worrying about softness, and F2.8 is very nice to have. Open it up in dim light and note how well defined the in focus area is. An APS DSLR with kit grade glass just isn't going to give you that sort of sharpness and exquisite definition.

If you've only used kit grade glass in the past, the 12-60 will be a real treat. Until you've used HG or SHG ZD lenses, you really haven't seen 4/3 at its best.

That is true, and something I did not realize until I purchased the HG and SHG lenses in 2012 and 2013.  SG lenses can indeed give you beautiful shots, HG and SHG can give you those and some stunners along the way.

Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 41,999

TrapperJohn wrote:

Actually, about the same.  A 70-200 / 4L IS costs $1349 (B&H) and it has the same [diagonal] AOV, the same aperture (70mm / 4 = 35mm / 2 = 17.5mm, 200mm / 4 = 100mm / 2 = 50mm), and is very high quality:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/431-canon_70200_4is_5d?start=2

Of course, this is not to say that the 35-100 / 2 is anything less than a stellar lens.  But to say "That's less than half what you'd pay for a lens of similar AOV, aperture, and quality from C/N" is simply untrue.

alatchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,055

Great Bustard wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

Actually, about the same. A 70-200 / 4L IS costs $1349 (B&H) and it has the same [diagonal] AOV, the same aperture (70mm / 4 = 35mm / 2 = 17.5mm, 200mm / 4 = 100mm / 2 = 50mm), and is very high quality:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/431-canon_70200_4is_5d?start=2

Of course, this is not to say that the 35-100 / 2 is anything less than a stellar lens. But to say "That's less than half what you'd pay for a lens of similar AOV, aperture, and quality from C/N" is simply untrue.

I am always impressed by your singular application of education only for those who "even slightly" imply that a 43rds lens may in any way have some favorable aspect or edge... While a post such as this:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51131150

Which is pure garbage goes completely ignored

Abraham

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 11,743
"even slightly" imply ..

alatchin wrote:

I am always impressed by your singular application of education only for those who "even slightly" imply that a 43rds lens may in any way have some favorable aspect or edge...

I think he has a bit more of a context about what he replies to. You would not call this "slightly imply", would you ?

Nor is it fair to compare 'wide open', as the ZD zooms
handily smoke just about anyone's glass wide open, zoom
or prime. Unless, of course, you do like to put the lens
aperture to full use on occasion...

Which is in my reply

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/31706103

-- hide signature --

- sergey

alatchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,055
Re: "even slightly" imply ..

Sergey_Green wrote:

alatchin wrote:

I am always impressed by your singular application of education only for those who "even slightly" imply that a 43rds lens may in any way have some favorable aspect or edge...

I think he has a bit more of a context about what he replies to. You would not call this "slightly imply", would you ?

Nor is it fair to compare 'wide open', as the ZD zooms
handily smoke just about anyone's glass wide open, zoom
or prime. Unless, of course, you do like to put the lens
aperture to full use on occasion...

In human nature, bragging is common. So I would expect to hear a parent gush over their child. I would expect a happy BMW owner to praise his machine above all others, and I am used to seeing overly patriotic souls ignore their countries issues in favour of its achievements. What I dont expect is to be considered impartial when I go to a Dog lovers convention to wax lyrical about the benefits of owning a cat.

I expect the dog lovers to ignore all the faults of their furry friend, and as a normal person I should take enjoyment from their enjoyment, not from bringing it to an end, politely, truthfully, or otherwise.

Which is in my reply

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/31706103

-- hide signature --

- sergey

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads