Ming Thein reviews the GH3

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions
richarddd
richarddd Senior Member • Posts: 2,982
Ming Thein reviews the GH3

Bottom line, essentially the same image quality as the E-M5, but he does not like the "UI and overall control logic: it just doesn’t feel like a well-thought out product, and isn’t at all intuitive in use."

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/03/17/panasonic-lumix-gh3/

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tt321 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,502
Re: Ming Thein reviews the GH3

richarddd wrote:

Bottom line, essentially the same image quality as the E-M5, but he does not like the "UI and overall control logic: it just doesn’t feel like a well-thought out product, and isn’t at all intuitive in use."

From this the people who prefer the Olympus or Panasonic way of doing things and dislike the other's way of doing things can have a good feel of the reviewer, and decide whether he syncs with their prejudices or not.

Shirozina Regular Member • Posts: 422

richarddd wrote:

As an owner of several previous Lumix cameras - LX5, GF2, GX1and GH2 - I found my GH3 very easy to use straight out of the box and the control layout easily the best so far for a Lumix.

richarddd
OP richarddd Senior Member • Posts: 2,982

tt321 wrote:

richarddd wrote:

From this the people who prefer the Olympus or Panasonic way of doing things and dislike the other's way of doing things can have a good feel of the reviewer, and decide whether he syncs with their prejudices or not.

He does not seem to have a general preference for the Olympus or Panasonic way of doing things . He ends the review with "Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a personal bias because I very much like some of the company’s other products – the LX series, for instance – but the GH3 just left me cold."

As they say, YMMV.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Ag_Paladin Contributing Member • Posts: 683

tt321 wrote:

richarddd wrote:

He does not seem to have a general preference for the Olympus or Panasonic way of doing things . He ends the review with "Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a personal bias because I very much like some of the company’s other products – the LX series, for instance – but the GH3 just left me cold."

As they say, YMMV.

To me, he's biased. I left a comment correcting some if his inaccuracies and also how my views differ from his. He moderated it and it wasn't published.

I used to have high regard for his reviews, now I just think he's an oly fanboy and hates anything to do with panasonic.

Ag_Paladin's gear list:Ag_Paladin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more
joe talks photography
joe talks photography Regular Member • Posts: 247

richarddd wrote:

Given the great history of the GH series for video, his comments on the GH3 might and/or should be a concern for videographers. Then again, he doesn't seem to have a strength with video. Nor do I since camcorder days...with zero interest in it in my cameras!

On the menus, I have owned many a Panasonic G series camera and the menus are in-depth but they aren't really quickly assessible in the field so I would agree with reviewer to the extent that the Panasonic menus could be 'massaged' some to improve on them.

Lastly, I cannot see me owning one. Aside from size, the cost of the E-M5 is already a tad more than I would spend on a camera for the m43 system. For an equivalent amount of $$$ one could improve image potential with an APS-C model. Admittedly, I prefer m43 and its many great lenses. This may well cause me to move to the E-M5 after all!

-- hide signature --

Joe

ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

richarddd wrote:

It says he knows nothing about video, Rolling shutter occurs if the subject movement is fast, if you are panning the camera too fast.

The CMOS sensor records different than a CCD sensor would or when it was used for Video. A CCD sensor is better for serious video.

It is what it is. Shooting video with a DSLR or MSLR like this you have to look at the entire playback to see what you can actually see. Looking frame by frame for video is like pixel peeping.

The way you think about shooting stills vs shooting video is different.

Shirozina Regular Member • Posts: 422

joe talks photography wrote:

richarddd wrote:

Given the great history of the GH series for video, his comments on the GH3 might and/or should be a concern for videographers. Then again, he doesn't seem to have a strength with video. Nor do I since camcorder days...with zero interest in it in my cameras!

On the menus, I have owned many a Panasonic G series camera and the menus are in-depth but they aren't really quickly assessible in the field so I would agree with reviewer to the extent that the Panasonic menus could be 'massaged' some to improve on them.

Lastly, I cannot see me owning one. Aside from size, the cost of the E-M5 is already a tad more than I would spend on a camera for the m43 system. For an equivalent amount of $$$ one could improve image potential with an APS-C model. Admittedly, I prefer m43 and its many great lenses. This may well cause me to move to the E-M5 after all!

-- hide signature --

Joe

As a GH3 owner........ the 5 custom function buttons + other fixed control buttons and dials mean accessing the menu while shooting is not something that needs to be done much. APS-C has marginal still image quality advantages over M43 in some circumstances with some cameras IME - if you want significant image quality gains you need to go full frame and then put up with the extra bulk and weight. For a compact body that does top class stills AND has video capability that can't be matched unless you spend on some serious pro dedicated video camera gear the GH3 is unique.

Ron Outdoors Contributing Member • Posts: 723

Yes, he certainly doesn't like the GH3. I've had the OM-D for a year and still get annoyed with the menus, especially having to start at the beginning each time. Had the GH3 for 2 months and have found that menu much easier to get around. But it is subjective.

The GH3 is too big for him. Coming from Canon dSLR's, I like the size of it. I bought the Pan 12-35 and 100-300 for use with my OM-D, but they really feel more comfortable on the GH3. The bare OM-D is too small for my hands, and probably many others, with all the discussion about optional grips.

I agree with him about the GH3 EVF. Not all it should have been. The OM-D one is clearer and easier to see the full view.

The GH3 price he gives seems high. And if you add a flash and optional grip to the OM-D, they are very close in price.

They are two different cameras. I go for the GH3 with the bigger lenses, video or tripod use. But for something lighter to casually carry around my neck, the OM-D with a smaller lens is great. And the retro (silver) look doesn't seem to put people off as much when I point it at them.

-- hide signature --

www.ronhartman.net

kryten61 Regular Member • Posts: 289
If this is correct, This in itself indicates to me his review is not worth reading.

To me, he's biased. I left a comment correcting some if his inaccuracies and also how my views differ from his. He moderated it and it wasn't published.

I used to have high regard for his reviews, now I just think he's an oly fanboy and hates anything to do with panasonic.

kryten61's gear list:kryten61's gear list
Sony RX100 III Samsung NX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha a7R II
tt321 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,502

richarddd wrote:

tt321 wrote:

richarddd wrote:

He does not seem to have a general preference for the Olympus or Panasonic way of doing things . He ends the review with "Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a personal bias because I very much like some of the company’s other products – the LX series, for instance – but the GH3 just left me cold."

Whether he says he has a bias is different from whether he thinks he has a bias, and whether he thinks he has a bias is different from whether some of his readers might regard him as having a bias, finally all of these are not necessarily related to whether he actually and objectively has a bias.

In any case whether he is biased is of little consequence as he has clearly stated his views with enough arguments for his readers to decide whether his preferences (he certainly has preferences as he said so himself) sync with theirs. This is not about number-based comparisons such as DR, resolution, how much time for one to run 100m etc. This is about user experience, ease of operation, how much one likes running in preference to swimming. In other words, it's about personal preferences without a universally agreed numerical model. For these kinds of things a reader must be able to determine a critic's habits and decide if they sync well with oneself. In fact it is better if you notice a reviewer who has exactly the same (or exactly the opposite) type of preferences as you because in the future you will have an easy time estimating whether a camera is worth buying from reading his reviews. A reviewer whose preferences wander around in a large area in the interest of fairness or lack of bias is virtually useless.

joe talks photography
joe talks photography Regular Member • Posts: 247

Good points made. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Joe

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 11,772

Ming Thein is no smarter, or more knowledgeable than me or you. I have my perception of what is good and what is not, so I do not care about his opinion. I follow my gut. And I wish you the same, and not just you as a person, but everybody.

Follow your gut, folks!

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +3 more
sea_dragon Contributing Member • Posts: 756
Interesting comments regarding the EVF

Here is another person observing and commenting on the distortion present in the EVF.  This is NOT an imaginary problem or a usage issue as certain individuals here have suggested.  Doubters take note!

sea_dragon's gear list:sea_dragon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 6,505
Re: Interesting comments regarding the EVF

sea_dragon wrote:

Here is another person observing and commenting on the distortion present in the EVF. This is NOT an imaginary problem or a usage issue as certain individuals here have suggested. Doubters take note!

I can only tell you that I haven't seen it in mine.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

sigala1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818
He totally disses the GH3

richarddd wrote:

My take was $600 more for a camera that lacks 5-axis IBIS, has a viewfinder he doesn't like as much, is as big as a DSLR, and has poor layout of buttons.

devlin2427 Regular Member • Posts: 469

Ming is primarily a prime m43 shooter. The bigger, uglier, heavier GH3 doesn't really offer enough benefits for a stills photographer. I don't think he's biased towards Olympus but simply he doesn't need what the GH3 has to offer.

He praised the image quality and the AF but I guess the feeling of the camera is equally important. At the end of the day m43 users can choose between two equally good for stills bodies with one being smaller and subjectively prettier and the other one more utilitarian and a better video camera. Its a win-win if you ask me.

-- hide signature --

Dev |
Rehab is for quitters.

Ag_Paladin Contributing Member • Posts: 683

devlin2427 wrote:

Ming is primarily a prime m43 shooter. The bigger, uglier, heavier GH3 doesn't really offer enough benefits for a stills photographer. I don't think he's biased towards Olympus but simply he doesn't need what the GH3 has to offer.

He praised the image quality and the AF but I guess the feeling of the camera is equally important. At the end of the day m43 users can choose between two equally good for stills bodies with one being smaller and subjectively prettier and the other one more utilitarian and a better video camera. Its a win-win if you ask me.

-- hide signature --

Dev |
Rehab is for quitters.

Agree.. but why is he censoring my objective comments. I pointed out some inaccuracies as well as my own opinion of using the GH3. He moderated it. Is he afraid of feeback that differs from his? Tell me that doesnt smack of bias bordering predjudice.

Ag_Paladin's gear list:Ag_Paladin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more
The Jacal
The Jacal Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

ryan2007 wrote:

It is what it is. Shooting video with a DSLR or MSLR like this you have to look at the entire playback to see what you can actually see. Looking frame by frame for video is like pixel peeping.

What's an MSLR?

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 +17 more
The Jacal
The Jacal Senior Member • Posts: 1,273
Re: If this is correct, This in itself indicates to me his review is not worth reading.

kryten61 wrote:

Yes, as you said, 'íf'.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads