Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions
OP pavinder Regular Member • Posts: 277
Re: Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5

AB8ND wrote:

How are the Old School controls a con? Besides making operation faster than flipping through menus they are part if the charm of the camera.

As I wrote, I find it quicker and easier to adjust settings via the 2 smooth dials under 1 finger, rather than the Fuji's click dial shutter speed and lens barrel aperture settings.

Personal preference, nothing more than that. And I realize many people find the Fuji's setup easier, which is fine too.

rockygag Senior Member • Posts: 1,299

I have and X Pro 1 and and and OMD.

In he studio, the Fuji is the clear winner.

Out and about, it is a different story.  My kids surf.  No way to use the Fuji with AF.  My kids do swim team, if I try really hard, I could do it with the Fuji.

Street, a bit of a toss up.

Travel, I like a wide zoom, for the moment, the Fuji is a non starter.

As to IQ, almost all my stuff is printed at 8X10, and for all practical purposes, the IQ is the same.  Some of the very high contrast stuff that I do in the studio favors the fuji, but in the long run, the OM-D is just fine.  Neither comes even close to the Mamiya Phase One P30+ that I sold off.

As to DOF, I know what really shallow DOF is, and with care, the OM-D can deliver what I need.  For portraiture, I like both Nose and Eyes in focus, and that means the 45 1.8 is just fine.

My true sports work has suffered in terms of subject isolation since moving to m-43rds to shoot it.  However, most of this is destined for the web, and showing parents that their kids were actually in the race, not documenting one athlete for Sports Illustrated.   I don't miss the D300/70-200 2.8 weight at all.  Nothing is free however!

Hope that helps.

57even Forum Pro • Posts: 13,285
Re: Handling and IQ vs speed and features

3systermuser wrote:

funny Fuji , the practical real life IQ of the Fuji is not any better than that of the OM-D based system.

Practical? Sorry but in my subjective view there's no comparison. And there's no DXOmark comparison either, but I'm comparing back to back with a D600, which is no slouch, and a D7000, which it completely dominates.

IQ should be evaluated as a whole system and MFT has much better selection of better primes , thus the OM-D system might win over the Fuji based system in many FLs.

Not in the wide angles I like, and the Fuji lineup is still growing. The "excellent" lenses on the MFT cameras are often at focal lengths I never use. However the new 14 2.8 on the Fuji is really excellent.

and do not forget slow and inaccurate aF of the X-E1 makes its PRACTICAL real life IQ can be worse.

This is just such a non-issue. I haven't had a focus miss since the latest two firmware revisions, and it's easily fast enough for what I do with it. And anyone who says the OMD doesn't miss focus clearly hasn't used one much. Neither can track moving objects worth a damn, but that's why I own a D600 in the first place.

and to get the same DOF at the same shutter speed , Fuji has to to crank up ISO or OM-D gets faster SS, so naturally deeper DOF at aperture to aperture of the OM-D can be good.

Er, sorry - that's just nonsense. Unless of course you are working in the dark. For most uses, the subject isolation on the Fuji is in a different class (esp with the 35 and 60) and high ISO is far superior.

I'm really happy if you like your OMD, I never said it was a bad camera, but just to be clear, I spent quite a bit of time using my friends version, and it is close to unusable for anyone with hands my size. But we are all different.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
OP pavinder Regular Member • Posts: 277

rockygag wrote:

In he studio, the Fuji is the clear winner.

Out and about, it is a different story. ..

Travel, I like a wide zoom, for the moment, the Fuji is a non starter.

I never do studio work, but definitely plan to travel with the camera, so may have a lot of street/spontaneous/wide needs.  Sounds like The OM-D will be better suited.

As to DOF, I know what really shallow DOF is, and with care, the OM-D can deliver what I need. For portraiture, I like both Nose and Eyes in focus, and that means the 45 1.8 is just fine.

Others have mentioned this lens too.  I'll investigate.

My true sports work has suffered in terms of subject isolation since moving to m-43rds.... I don't miss the D300/70-200 2.8 weight at all.

Hope that helps.

Very helpful - thank you.

photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,653
Re: Less IQ. The one thing that matters.

damoclesnz wrote:

Is it the only thing that matters though? Handling and performance have to count for something

Yeah but next thing you know you have $ 2000 and $ 4000 into your m4/3 or X-E1 setup.  Lenses here and there.

At that level of commitment IQ is paramount.

No m4/3 came close to the speed I needed for action photography, compared to the sureness of a DSLR.

What the X-E1 or X100 give you is the IQ of a DSLR in a small package.

The DSLR is still needed for action photography.

The m4/3 compromises IQ and lacks the action response.  It compromises both.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T100 +1 more
Andrei Nicoara Forum Member • Posts: 70

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

If you want to have nice Bokeh and shallow DOF a M43 camera is not what you want.

This is a big concern I have. Is that simply because of the available lenses' widest apertures or is it a function of the system itself?

It's a combination of the two.

In terms of shallow DOF it's either m4/3 body with Panasonic-Leica 25 f1.4 or Fuji X-E1 with Fuji XF 35 f1.4. Both should have shallow DOF, but the Fuji narrowly wins. (the m4/3 sensor being slightly smaller).

As for zooms you can get m4/3 body with Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 or Fuji X-E1 with the "kit" 18-55 f2.8-f4.0. The DOF capability should be mostly equal (2.8 on m4/3 behaves like f4 on APS-C).

I think though that the difference is pretty small. Other factors like distance to subject and distance from subject to background start to play a larger role.

But if you really find an aperture ring and shutter dial cumbersome I recommend to get a Sony NEX.

I have been shooting since the mid '70s and used to always use fully manual everything. But since the advent of the digital age, I've simply gotten used to the speed of access via small wheels under the thumb rather than turning a lens barrel or a horizontal click-dial. I now prefer it.

You can put an XF lens in auto-aperture or auto-shutter speed. This translates to either shutter priority or aperture priority. I was also concerned at first, but now I really enjoy the feeling of the physical controls.

#4. Paired with the fuji 35mm f/1.4... basically gives me my (affordable) version of the Leica M with 50mm Summicron

#5. Mirrorless system gives me a plethora of manual lens options; DX taking slightly less of a hit on DOF & FOV

What about with the kit zoom? Do you recommend the primes all the way?

That depends on your shooting preference (prime lenses or zoom). I have the XF35 mm and the XF18-55 and like them both. I couldn't part with any of them. And I have to say that the Fuji X-E1 paired to the 35mm is a very special photography tool. In a good way. You can read about my ongoing love-affair with the Fuji X-E1 if you want - http://andreinicoara.com/fuji-x-e1-review-a-photographer-camera/

-- hide signature --

www.andreinicoara.com

Andrei Nicoara's gear list:Andrei Nicoara's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
Andrei Nicoara Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Had the EM5, now have the XP1

Brilliant analysis - you very succinctly analyzed two systems lens line-ups!

I think that for Fuji the real strength are the lenses. They managed to design very capable, fast and optically great lenses.

-- hide signature --

www.andreinicoara.com

Andrei Nicoara's gear list:Andrei Nicoara's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
zenpmd Senior Member • Posts: 1,130
Re: Had the EM5, now have the XP1

Does anyone think that Olympus could produce such a tiny cute lens in 1.4 like the rest of their 1.8s? It is noticeable how much bigger the panasonic 1.4 is than the various Olympus 1.8s

Joe Melillo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,136
Suggestion with samples

Look at the Samsung NX line before deciding. I purchased the entry level (and bargain priced) nx1000  as a compact alternative to my Nikon D800 and am very pleased with the camera, and the nx lenses.

I think you can get the sort of photos you want with the Samsungs and have posted links to a couple below.  One is a "bulb" shot, the other a shallow dof portrait (of sorts:)

The nx20 is Samsung's flagship and is also a bargain.

http://www.pbase.com/jmelillo/image/148531194

http://www.pbase.com/jmelillo/image/148590096

-- hide signature --

Joe Melillo
WSSA member# 86
http://www.pbase.com/jmelillo/root

Joe Melillo's gear list:Joe Melillo's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T20
damoclesnz Regular Member • Posts: 450
Re: Less IQ. The one thing that matters.

damoclesnz wrote:

Is it the only thing that matters though? Handling and performance have to count for something

Yeah but next thing you know you have $ 2000 and $ 4000 into your m4/3 or X-E1 setup. Lenses here and there.

At that level of commitment IQ is paramount.

No m4/3 came close to the speed I needed for action photography, compared to the sureness of a DSLR.

What the X-E1 or X100 give you is the IQ of a DSLR in a small package.

The DSLR is still needed for action photography.

The m4/3 compromises IQ and lacks the action response. It compromises both.

I don't  agree. For me - getting the picture I want is paramount.

An OMD is as competent as many DSLRs for action photography and there is no such thing as  'DSLR' level of image quality given DSLR's vary widely

People here pixel peep and worry too much over small things that most of the general populace (including me) probably wouldn't notice nor care about.

Most of the time when I see people complaining about the downfalls of a particular camera it is because they haven't learned how to use it properly and because people fixate on what a camera can't do rather than what it can.

There are compromises but everything is a compromise.

damoclesnz's gear list:damoclesnz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 II Sony a6300 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more
Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342
Re: Suggestion with samples

Look at the Samsung NX line before deciding. I purchased the entry level (and bargain priced) nx1000 as a compact alternative to my Nikon D800 and am very pleased with the camera, and the nx lenses.

Samsung's NX series have nice features, some decent lenses, but make lousy jpegs.  This wouldn't be so much of an issue if they didn't store HUGE uncompressed RAW files.

Joe Melillo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,136
Sorry

I was trying to respond to your post and dpreview posted the orignal quote but not my reply multiple times! I have no idea what happened. I can't delete them, either.

Anyway, my suggestion was to convert Samsung raw files to dng.

-- hide signature --

Joe Melillo
WSSA member# 86
http://www.pbase.com/jmelillo/root

Joe Melillo's gear list:Joe Melillo's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T20
AlbertTheLazy
AlbertTheLazy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,694
Re: Sorry

I was trying to respond to a post and dpreview posted the orignal quote but not my reply multiple times! I have no idea what happened.

I've had the same problem for much of today. Looks like they've fixed it.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.

AlbertTheLazy's gear list:AlbertTheLazy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
standor New Member • Posts: 14

XE1 is not for everybody. You should not buy XE1:
- if you would like cheap lenses regardless of their quality ( slow and lower level).
- if you need weather sealing
- if you need stabilized also prime lenses ( need in body stabilizer )
(just to mention that NO mirrorless is until now competitive with DSLRs for focusing of fast moving objects -  AF TRACKING )
Fuji Xseries is very good for customer who prefer:
- excelent FAST lenses (current + very attractive 2013 lens roadmap )
- top image quality,
- exceptional camera handling
see Fuji lens roadmap:
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

If you consider to enter mirrorless and buy more lenses you should think more long term.
All current X lenses are excellent or at least very good, future one are promised in the same quality. End of 2013 we should have much more nice lenses (see roadmap). Zeiss will soon provide its 12mm f/2.8, 32mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/2.8 (all has AF) in Fuji mount. Do you miss some lens in this roadmap? I considered current quality M43 lenses and these seems to me quite expensive. Fuji premium lenses are cca for 650$ and there are very attractive offers if you buy it with camera or buy more lenses together. Future lenses are expected in similar price. If you prefer premium quality lenses, I think end of 2013 Fuji's lens offering will be even better than for M43 from quality and price point of view.
You considered FF camera before, but leaved the idea for its size/weight. I also think that FF IQ is and always will be better than APSC. Similar it is APSC vs M43. EM5 sensor got close to APSC, but later current 24Mp APCS (Nikon D5200) are again more ahead. Simply larger sensor will be always better (sometimes more other times less ). This gap is in some way compensated by the fact that new technology comes first to small sensors ( like EM5-s successful sensor ).
I do not see size,weight,price advantage of M43 over FujiX camera/lenses.
I have XE1, I'm happy with it. But if there would be FF mirrorless system of comparable size&weight&price to FujiX I would go for it immediately. But I do not expect this will happen in next 10 years.
Many argues that EM5 AF system is better, OK I believe, but for me XE1 AF is fine (street foto, use often for playing children indoors ). Looking for Fuji X100S, in next   generation Fuji's AF could be better than M43. But would you then switch the system just from this reason? I not, for sure.

standor's gear list:standor's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,829

These 2 cameras often are the final 2 in a choice. It was for me as well.

For nightsky I think the XE1 is a clear winner here. Size of sensor is not something you can make up for with software etc. XE1 is particularly low noise. For long exposure night shots you easily use the EVF for manual focus. Click the command dial once and you get a 3X magnification. This is a great feature of the XE1.

Sample of an XE1 night shot - a very wide panorama of the Milky Way Orion Spiral Arm:

http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/147929628/large

I don't know much about Oly lenses apart from the few that often got recommended but Fuji lenses are in a league of their own. I feel after using them they are a step up from Canon/Nikon and are more to be compared with higher end lenses. They are really well made. They also ooze quality as does the camera. Oly for me was too small and cramped and that turned me off it.

I am very happy with my decision and have had the camera since Christmas and the XE1 tends to be the camera I take with me when I want to take photos.

Good luck with your decision and bottomline is you can't go wrong with either. They are both superb cameras. Too bad you can't just get both.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
snowboardpunk New Member • Posts: 9

plus IMO the X-E1 just has that vintage look to it, which I love and feel like the OM-D looks a little cheap.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads