Reviews, hands-on, samples of HS50 Part VI

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions
jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Reviews, hands-on, samples of HS50 Part VI

- Part V is full again so continue the discussion here...

- To all HS50 owners, please post your best shots here.

- Trolls 50 meters away please.

- Non-HS50 images posted will be deleted by moderators unless it has direct side-by-side  comparison with HS50.

FinePix HS50EXR Key features list:

• FUJINON 42x optical manual zoom (f/2.8-5.6 24-1000mm) with Optical Image Stabilisation, and up to 84x with Intelligent Digital Zoom
  • 16 million pixels 1/2-inch EXR-CMOS II sensor with Phase Detection AF plus EXR Processor II ;
  • Intelligent Hybrid AF: 0.05 sec, world's fastest
  • Continuous shooting: 11fps at full resolution (MAX.5frames), 5.5fps at 8M for seamless capture.
  • Start-up time of 0.5 sec.
  • Shooting interval of 0.5 sec.
  • 108 EXR Auto shooting patterns
  • Full HD movie 1080P/60fps with continuous phase detection AF and stereo sound
  • 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD screen (920K-dot)
  • High resolution EVF (920K-dot) with eye sensor
  • Q button for direct control of settings
  • Super Macro: 1cm
  • Manual exposure control (P/S/A/M modes)
  • Focus Peak Highlight function on the LCD screen
  • RAW shooting (RAW, JPEG, RAW+JPEG image capture modes)
  • Shooting functions; 8 Advanced Filters, Film simulation, Multiple exposure, image capture aspect ratio of 1:1 (square) in addition to 4:3, 16:9, and 3:2, and more
  • Virtual horizon “electronic level” display
  • External microphone input (microphones sold separately)
  • Hotshoe attachment for the use of external flash guns
  • Lithium Ion battery with up to 500 shots per charge

Full specifications

Hands-on video from Fujiguys

Promotional video with sample action shots

FUJIFILM HS50 Product Tour Movie

Official Samples from Fuji

Pocket-lint Review

Sample pictures/snapshots from Kakaku

Samples from Photohito

Demo of blazing AF and STS speed

Cheers,

Joms

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459
Re: For Michi and others who own the HS-50

See now I have to repost this question

Could you kindly test L size DR 400 vs M size DR 400 with the HS50, now with the HS20 I have been getting consistently better highlight retention with L size DR 400 rather than the latter, more commonly acclaimed M size DR 400. Also, as far as higher ISO differences between the two resolutions, I know people say M size is better, but when I resize both M and L size to 1600 x 1200 I cant see a difference, even at ISO 3200- they look almost exactly alike, it's just that L size seems to retain highlights better than M size for some reason (at DR 400). NR should be set to Low and Sharpening to Soft.

Basically I did L size DR 400 ISO 3200 vs M size DR 400 ISO 3200 NR Low Sharpening Soft and found that L size DR 400 held highlights better and there was virtually no noise difference when both were resized to 1600 x 1200 (which matches the dot pitch of 7.5 x 10 prints.)

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more
Re: Joms as thread mod

I think for threads like this we should make the OP be able to mod his own thread and delete all posts not having directly to do with the camera (like this one haha).

-- hide signature --

Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more
Re: Hardware DR vs Software DR

Oh and Joms I agree with you about the EXR thing, it just goes to show that hardware DR enhancement isn't necessarily better than internal software DR enhancement and processing of the direct RAW files.

I say this particularly because HS20 and HS30 users were still having to use a -0.3 EV compensation even with M size DR 400, I dont think that's necessary at all with L size DR 400 as it protects highlights significantly better and when you resize both resolutions to the same size the noise different is very little.

-- hide signature --

MitchyK7 Regular Member • Posts: 131

Alex, from a technical point of view, L size will protect highlights better because it's less sensitive. In M mode, the sensor uses pixel binning, which means half as many pixels, twice as sensitive, whereas L mode means twice as many pixels, half as sensitive. So the highlights don't get blown out as easy in L mode.

This is why the rigidly sticking to M mode thing makes me chuckle. I use L mode for well lit shots most of the time, and i will switch to M for either low light shots, or more burst shot speed. Neither one is 'better' than the other, each is better only in certain circumstances.

It's also why M mode would show less fringing, as it's white-ing it out i assume!

chillgreg Senior Member • Posts: 1,248
Will your rules also apply to the hundreds of such posts you've peppered the other forums with? :o

jcmarfilph wrote:

- Part V is full again so continue the discussion here...

- To all HS50 owners, please post your best shots here.

- Trolls 50 meters away please.

- Non-HS50 images posted will be deleted by moderators unless it has direct side-by-side comparison with HS50.

FinePix HS50EXR Key features list:

• FUJINON 42x optical manual zoom (f/2.8-5.6 24-1000mm) with Optical Image Stabilisation, and up to 84x with Intelligent Digital Zoom
  • 16 million pixels 1/2-inch EXR-CMOS II sensor with Phase Detection AF plus EXR Processor II ;
  • Intelligent Hybrid AF: 0.05 sec, world's fastest
  • Continuous shooting: 11fps at full resolution (MAX.5frames), 5.5fps at 8M for seamless capture.
  • Start-up time of 0.5 sec.
  • Shooting interval of 0.5 sec.
  • 108 EXR Auto shooting patterns
  • Full HD movie 1080P/60fps with continuous phase detection AF and stereo sound
  • 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD screen (920K-dot)
  • High resolution EVF (920K-dot) with eye sensor
  • Q button for direct control of settings
  • Super Macro: 1cm
  • Manual exposure control (P/S/A/M modes)
  • Focus Peak Highlight function on the LCD screen
  • RAW shooting (RAW, JPEG, RAW+JPEG image capture modes)
  • Shooting functions; 8 Advanced Filters, Film simulation, Multiple exposure, image capture aspect ratio of 1:1 (square) in addition to 4:3, 16:9, and 3:2, and more
  • Virtual horizon “electronic level” display
  • External microphone input (microphones sold separately)
  • Hotshoe attachment for the use of external flash guns
  • Lithium Ion battery with up to 500 shots per charge

Full specifications

Hands-on video from Fujiguys

Promotional video with sample action shots

FUJIFILM HS50 Product Tour Movie

Official Samples from Fuji

Pocket-lint Review

Sample pictures/snapshots from Kakaku

Samples from Photohito

Demo of blazing AF and STS speed

Cheers,

Joms

-- hide signature --

Gidday
Greg

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II Apple iPhone 6 Plus Huawei P9
Stop the trolling maybe?

Can we stop the debating. I'm trying to answer people's questions as one of the handful of owners of this camera. I don't care who posts what in other threads, that to be discussed/reported/rebuked in THOSE threads.

Coming in here with that is deliberate trolling. If you genuinely want to discuss this camera or compare it to others, please do. But just paste bombing a post to make a point about other threads is not required.

Thankyou kindly

PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286
Re: Stop the trolling maybe?

MitchyK7 wrote:

Can we stop the debating. I'm trying to answer people's questions as one of the handful of owners of this camera. I don't care who posts what in other threads, that to be discussed/reported/rebuked in THOSE threads.

Might I suggest you learn the basics of EXR before you answer any more? If you are going to come out with ridiculous statements like: From a technical point of view, L size will protect highlights better because it's less sensitive. In M mode, the sensor uses pixel binning, which means half as many pixels, twice as sensitive, whereas L mode means twice as many pixels, half as sensitive.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Thanks Michy! I figured something like this was going on because although highlights were being protected better the shadows clipped earlier too----- which paradoxically actually led to slightly lower noise at higher iso when you resized L and M size to the same resolution (because the L size shadows seemed cleaner.)

-- hide signature --

DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,084

PAUL TILL wrote:

MitchyK7 wrote:

Might I suggest you learn the basics of EXR before you answer any more? If you are going to come out with ridiculous statements like: From a technical point of view, L size will protect highlights better because it's less sensitive. In M mode, the sensor uses pixel binning, which means half as many pixels, twice as sensitive, whereas L mode means twice as many pixels, half as sensitive.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

This is what Fuji user base is turning to now, blissfully unaware of the technical facts, and easily satisfied with substandard performance. Good job, Fuji, not having to worry any more about picky customers.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs +6 more

Theoretically speaking, shouldn't this mean DSLR should be blowing highlights more than any cameras since they have the largest pixels of all and the most sensitive sensors?

Although there HAS to be some reason why the L size images have a lower exposure than the M size images- besides the size everything else is the same.  It doesn't have better DR since shadows also clip to black earlier, the L size images are just dimmer and by a pretty significant amount.

-- hide signature --

OP jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592

alexisgreat wrote:

Oh and Joms I agree with you about the EXR thing, it just goes to show that hardware DR enhancement isn't necessarily better than internal software DR enhancement and processing of the direct RAW files.

I say this particularly because HS20 and HS30 users were still having to use a -0.3 EV compensation even with M size DR 400, I dont think that's necessary at all with L size DR 400 as it protects highlights significantly better and when you resize both resolutions to the same size the noise different is very little.

-- hide signature --

Alex, my claim is that you will get mode detail and recover same or almost all highlights and shadows using LSize RAW but for some instances, pixel binning of M size DR400 will produce better DR. Since it is interesting, would you please create a separate thread and let's discuss your findings there? Thanks.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sure thing Joms! I'm hoping Michy, Peter, etc. will also contribute with some examples from the HS50 to see if the trend continues into the next generation

-- hide signature --

PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

alexisgreat wrote:

Theoretically speaking, shouldn't this mean DSLR should be blowing highlights more than any cameras since they have the largest pixels of all and the most sensitive sensors?

-- hide signature --

NO.

In layman terms EXR DR/SN mode and P.A.S.M at half resolution are like in camera HDR, but with only 2 images. Half the pixels are are exposed to the settings you dial in the camera the other half are under exposed by the amount you chose, i.e DR100,200,400. They are then combined (binned) and only 50% of the total pixels are kept by the EXR processor to make the final image.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

No I agree with you LOL- I meant that if Michy's theory was correct that would be the end result and since it's obviously not there has to be another answer- might be down to the processing.

The point of it would be that perhaps software DR enhancement is better than hardware DR enhancement.

-- hide signature --

BoeingPilot Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Reviews, hands-on, samples of HS50 Part VI

Another day of testing my new HS50EXR. I have had a chance to play with some of the settings. Here are 2 photos I took this morning out a double pane window. Setting on Shutter Priority at 1/1000th, ISO 800 using Auto Focus. Lighting poor, in the shade.

HS50EXR 1/1000th. ISO 800

HS50EXR (See EXIF Data)

BoeingPilot wrote:

Another day of testing my new HS50EXR. I have had a chance to play with some of the settings. Here are 2 photos I took this morning out a double pane window. Setting on Shutter Priority at 1/1000th, ISO 800 using Auto Focus. Lighting poor, in the shade.

HS50EXR 1/1000th. ISO 800

HS50EXR (See EXIF Data)

With careful PP, these will print nicely up to 8x11. Good job!

-=[ Joms ]=-

I shall go and do that forthwith.

Re: Thanks so much Michy!

and when you do so can you post the results in a new thread? Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads