Hack to get ACR (CS6) / Lightroom to read D7100 raw files

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,728
Hack to get ACR (CS6) / Lightroom to read D7100 raw files

Download exiftool for Windows or Mac. Run the following command line to hack a D7100 NEF to look like a D5200 NEF:

exiftool.exe -model="NIKON D5200" <nef filename>

For example:

exiftool.exe -model="NIKON D5200" myfile.NEF

By default exiftool will save your original file to a file with the same name but with "_original" appended to it. If you don't want exiftool to save the original, add the -overwrite_original option to it:

exiftool.exe -model="NIKON D5200" -overwrite_original myfile.NEF

Note that exiftool supports filename wildcards, so for example if you want to convert all the NEFs in a given directory:

exiftool.exe -model="NIKON D5200" -overwrite_original *.NEF

Special thanks to "theSuede" for the idea about hacking a D7100 NEF to look like a D5200 NEF.

Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photo Exporter Regular Member • Posts: 188
Thanks, hope it works

My new bodies will be here Wednesday!

Only shoot RAW, was not looking forward to using NX

rockjano Senior Member • Posts: 2,610
Re: Hack to get ACR (CS6) / Lightroom to read D7100 raw files

Can someone explain to me line by line how to do it on a Mac

(with terminal of course but terminal is a strange animal for me

Thanks

rockjano's gear list:rockjano's gear list
Nikon D7200
OP Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,728
Re: Thanks, hope it works

It does. Here's a D7100 NEF in CS6/ACR 7.3:

rockjano wrote:

Thanks

I don't have a Mac in front of me but it's the same cmd line I posted for Windows. You can probably drag 'n drop both the icon for exiftool (to start the command line, when you drop it I'm hoping it'll paste the path+name to the exiftool executable), type in the extra parameters, then drag 'n drop the D7100 file you want to convert to complete the command line.

inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,702
For Macs

rockjano wrote:

Thanks

You can download "Exfitool" or similar. It is a paid App in the Appstore but can be downloaded as a demo through CNET - just google "Exiftool"

The entry "TIFF.Model" needs to be changed to "NIKON D5200" and Lightroom works fine with it (including lens corrections).

If stuck for sharpening values try something like 45,0.7,70,20 in Lightroom (so less sharpening - 45 instead of 60)

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4
SverreE Contributing Member • Posts: 519

Horshack wrote:

Download exiftool for Windows or Mac. Run the following command line to hack a D7100 NEF to look like a D5200 NEF:

For example:

By default exiftool will save your original file to a file with the same name but with "_original" appended to it. If you don't want exiftool to save the original, add the -overwrite_original option to it:

Note that exiftool supports filename wildcards, so for example if you want to convert all the NEFs in a given directory:

Special thanks to "theSuede" for the idea about hacking a D7100 NEF to look like a D5200 NEF.

that's a very bad advice to overwrite original files and probably destroy them????

-- hide signature --

Sverre

Nepentanova Forum Member • Posts: 68

rockjano wrote:

Thanks

http://d7100.tumblr.com/post/45415740956/opening-d7100-raw-files-in-lightroom-mac

Nikonworks Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

Horshack wrote:

For example:

If I have to do all this I'd rather go back to using film.

pagenine Forum Member • Posts: 92
How to undo?

Is there a way to put this back to the way it was?

I was seeing the preview images in LR4 before I did this, but now they're gone.

I have a bad feeling now.

Re: How to undo?

pagenine wrote:

exiftool.exe -model="NIKON D7100" <nef filename>

pagenine Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: How to undo?

Horshack wrote:

pagenine wrote:

exiftool.exe -model="NIKON D7100" <nef filename>

Thanks.

Fotaman New Member • Posts: 1

Horshack,

Nice tool however I am wondering if it is really as simple as that. I am awaiting my D7100 but I did a little test and converted a Nikon D90 NEF to a D80 NEF. The result opens in CS6 however due to the fact Camera Raw thinks it is a D80 file the result is completely off.

What is the impact of Camera Raw thinking a D7100 is a D5200 file? The result must me impacted to some degree, no?

Regards

Fotaman wrote:

Horshack,

Nice tool however I am wondering if it is really as simple as that. I am awaiting my D7100 but I did a little test and converted a Nikon D90 NEF to a D80 NEF. The result opens in CS6 however due to the fact Camera Raw thinks it is a D80 file the result is completely off.

What is the impact of Camera Raw thinking a D7100 is a D5200 file? The result must me impacted to some degree, no?

Regards

The D90 and D80 have completely different sensors, sensor technology, and image dimensions, whereas the D5200 and D7100 have essentially identical sensors.

chrisncami Regular Member • Posts: 147

Forgive me, gents and ladies...I'm an idiot at command line stuff and never use Exiftool before.  I can't seem to get it to work on my Windows 7 PC.  I downloaded the program from CNET, put the exe on my desktop, and renamed it from exiftool(-k).exe to exiftool.exe.  I have a group of new D7100 files in a folder on my desktop.  Can someone please explain step-by-step how I batch all these files so they'll open in LR?  Thanks!

-- hide signature --

'Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.'

GUI instructions
  1. Create a shortcut to the exiftool executable by right clicking on the executable and selecting "Create shortcut". Put the shortcut onto your desktop
  2. Right-click the shortcut and select "Properties". In the "Shortcut" tab, go to the Target field and add -model="NIKON D5200" after the executable (see screenshot below)
  3. Now all you need to do is drag your D7100 NEFs or a folder containing the NEFs to the shortcut and it will convert the files for you. It will save the original of any file(s) converted with the name "_original" appended to it, but I suggest backing up your originals somewhere else just in case.

chrisncami Regular Member • Posts: 147
Re: GUI instructions

VERY COOL!  Thank you!!!

-- hide signature --

'Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.'

EKP206 New Member • Posts: 1

This is awesome!  Thank you.  It worked like a charm but some of the RAW files are not populating and when I attempt to open them I get an error message reading "Could not complete the request because the file format module cannot parse the file."  Screen shot included.  Any thoughts?  Thanks again!

EKP206 wrote:

This is awesome! Thank you. It worked like a charm but some of the RAW files are not populating and when I attempt to open them I get an error message reading "Could not complete the request because the file format module cannot parse the file." Screen shot included. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

That's interesting, I haven't seen that. Any chance you can send me one of the unconverted D7100 NEFs that is giving you the error? You can use https://www.transferbigfiles.com/ to send the NEF to yourself and then post the link you receive here so I can download it.

Bruce Photography
Bruce Photography New Member • Posts: 11

That is quite a tool.  Are you aware of a tool that is Windows based that would allow you to look (but not maybe edit) raw files?  I noticed that this tool when it rewrote the files made the file 2 bytes shorter which I find disturbing.  It could mean nothing or it could mean quite a bit depending upon which two bytes were dropped.  Thanks again for the reference.

Bruce Photography's gear list:Bruce Photography's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads