Seeking Feedback Regarding the F750EXR

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Questions
NewsView
NewsView Forum Member • Posts: 91
Seeking Feedback Regarding the F750EXR

After a hiatus from DPReview, happily making use of a Fuji FinePix F30 all these years, I'm back in the camera market. (My trusty F30 with its amazing 500-shot battery life still works but there is dirt in the lens that appears on my outdoor photos.) Recently, I found what seemed to be a good match for my needs, the Fujifilm F750EXR. As was the case with the F30, I am impressed at the true-to-life color Fujifilm cameras are known for. Still, I need to know if some of what I've observed is par for the course for this model vs. cause for concern:

• In low light, image quality without flash is not much improved over my F30 with SuperCCD sensor. (Pictures are characteristically grainy both indoors and out, regardless of mode, with or without viewing at "actual size".)
  • In a dimly lit room a white drywall ceiling above the subject looked like it is crosshatched (no flash). The striations were not apparent to the naked eye upon comparison.
  • Indoors, when photographing a dimly-lit room in which there is a large, incandescent lamp, there is color banding present in the light reflection on the ceiling, resembling pink/green ringlets along the outer edges. (Firmware on camera is up-to-date. First thing I checked.)
  • When photographing outdoors at dusk (the sunset), there are magenta halos around nearby street lamps.
  • In portrait orientation at wide angle there is a noticeable vignette apparent at the top left corner, apparent both indoors in dim light and outdoors under blue skies. None of the other corners darken, however! (Unlike the F770EXR, the F750EXR does not give me the option to shoot in raw, otherwise I would do a comparison.)
  • In outdoor sun, purple fringing is prevalent along columns, branches and eves. (I had assumed all these years later that chromatic aberration would be less the problem it once was.)
  • When late-afternoon sun shown directly on a cluster of large, brightly-colored orange flowers, the resultant image displayed strong color bleed/blooming (resembling an "angelic" filter effect). The same was observed when sunlight glanced off a white stone fence while visiting a Buddhist temple with my recently-purchased F750EXR. The affected area softened, appearing as if a puff of smoke or fog hovered above the handrail.
  • The pop-up flash seems under-powered compared to similarly-sized cameras (not unlike the F30's flash. Although I don't like using flash all that often, when you need it it is weak).
  • When photographing a large, tabby cat outdoors in mild mid-afternoon shadow the LCD display made the gray cat look harshly over-exposed with a moire effect on the fur upon review. Only in viewing the images on a computer later did I appreciate that the LCD display was misrepresenting the accuracy of the cat's color (the images were fine, the LCD thumbnail was not). Similarly, when using exposure compensation the LCD display is a poor indicator --- pictures in harsh outdoor sun that looked adequately compensated were dim on my computer, for instance.

In closing, I thank you for your input. In the event I got a lemon, what are some similarly compact alternatives? I am looking for a camera that is pocketable, with at least 10x optical zoom, one that represents a step up in low light functionality, does not have a stronger-than-average tendency for its type to blow-out highlights, and does not apply overly-aggressive noise reduction. Having previously returned an under-performing Nikon CoolPix, which was no match for my existing F30, I am beginning to get the impression the point-and-shoot camera category has gone downhill since last I was on the market. If cost and bulk were no object, I'd spring for a higher-end Fuji but at this stage both are factors.

NewsView's gear list:NewsView's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F750EXR Nikon Coolpix L610 Nikon D3300
ANSWER:
Fujifilm FinePix F750EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 12,157
Re: Seeking Feedback Regarding the F750EXR

I think all you criticisms are valid, except the purple fringing. I don't see much of that from my F750. The current EXR models are not good low-light cameras.

The Sony RX100 is a better low-light camera, probably the best right now among pocketable and semi-pocketable cameras.

The F750 is more of a bright sunshine camera. It can hold highlight detail better than the Sony. Hope that answers your question.

DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,092

NewsView wrote:

After a hiatus from DPReview, happily making use of a Fuji FinePix F30 all these years, I'm back in the camera market. (My trusty F30 with its amazing 500-shot battery life still works but there is dirt in the lens that appears on my outdoor photos.) Recently, I found what seemed to be a good match for my needs, the Fujifilm F750EXR. As was the case with the F30, I am impressed at the true-to-life color Fujifilm cameras are known for. Still, I need to know if some of what I've observed is par for the course for this model vs. cause for concern:

• In low light, image quality without flash is not much improved over my F30 with SuperCCD sensor. (Pictures are characteristically grainy both indoors and out, regardless of mode, with or without viewing at "actual size".)

You can improve on this by shooting the camera in M size (8 Mp) when in P or A modes, with DR set to 400%. 16 MP is too much for the sensor in low light. Still, it is not much better then F30 in most cases.

• In a dimly lit room a white drywall ceiling above the subject looked like it is crosshatched (no flash). The striations were not apparent to the naked eye upon comparison.

Putting the camera in M size might help.

• Indoors, when photographing a dimly-lit room in which there is a large, incandescent lamp, there is color banding present in the light reflection on the ceiling, resembling pink/green ringlets along the outer edges. (Firmware on camera is up-to-date. First thing I checked.
  • When photographing outdoors at dusk (the sunset), there are magenta halos around nearby street lamps.

This is a known problem for this model, because of the particular way the sensor color filter array was made, lens flare becomes a problem whenever strong point light sources are present in the frame, or outside of the edge of the frame and pointing to the camera (the stray light bouncing inside the lens reflects back from the sensor, and then from the lens elements back to the sensor).

• In portrait orientation at wide angle there is a noticeable vignette apparent at the top left corner, apparent both indoors in dim light and outdoors under blue skies. None of the other corners darken, however! (Unlike the F770EXR, the F750EXR does not give me the option to shoot in raw, otherwise I would do a comparison.)
  • In outdoor sun, purple fringing is prevalent along columns, branches and eves. (I had assumed all these years later that chromatic aberration would be less the problem it once was.)

This two problems could be eliminated by exchanging the camera, lens manufacturing variation i s also an issue with this model.

• When late-afternoon sun shown directly on a cluster of large, brightly-colored orange flowers, the resultant image displayed strong color bleed/blooming (resembling an "angelic" filter effect). The same was observed when sunlight glanced off a white stone fence while visiting a Buddhist temple with my recently-purchased F750EXR. The affected area softened, appearing as if a puff of smoke or fog hovered above the handrail.

Again lens flare problem, you have to avoid this situations with this camera, or change the angle and position slightly until it is less noticeable (it shows on LCD screen preview).

• The pop-up flash seems under-powered compared to similarly-sized cameras (not unlike the F30's flash. Although I don't like using flash all that often, when you need it it is weak).

Also normal for this model, as well as many today's small cameras. But this one is very week.

• When photographing a large, tabby cat outdoors in mild mid-afternoon shadow the LCD display made the gray cat look harshly over-exposed with a moire effect on the fur upon review. Only in viewing the images on a computer later did I appreciate that the LCD display was misrepresenting the accuracy of the cat's color (the images were fine, the LCD thumbnail was not). Similarly, when using exposure compensation the LCD display is a poor indicator --- pictures in harsh outdoor sun that looked adequately compensated were dim on my computer, for instance.

Shooting in M size mode, with DR set to 400% will help, but not completely fix this problem, you have to practice with this camera to learn its quirks.

In closing, I thank you for your input. In the event I got a lemon, what are some similarly compact alternatives? I am looking for a camera that is pocketable, with at least 10x optical zoom, one that represents a step up in low light functionality, does not have a stronger-than-average tendency for its type to blow-out highlights, and does not apply overly-aggressive noise reduction. Having previously returned an under-performing Nikon CoolPix, which was no match for my existing F30, I am beginning to get the impression the point-and-shoot camera category has gone downhill since last I was on the market. If cost and bulk were no object, I'd spring for a higher-end Fuji but at this stage both are factors.

Unfortunately there are no really better options in 10x or more zoom range, the camera market has gone downhill very much with the introduction of long zoom lenses in small cameras with too many MP on the sensor. Of other options, I can recommend used F70EXR or F72EXR as a reasonable option to replace F30, not a step up in low light (about equal with right settings), but at least not so many problems with lens flare and exposure inconsistencies (but it does have PF), or Canon SX260 as the most reasonable pocket superzoom option on the today's market (only 12 MP), and currently on sale for good prices (new model coming soon). If 5X zoom is enough, according to many Fuji F200EXR (used) is the best Fuji pocket point and shoot ever made, and good replacement for F30.

Also, there is way to fix the dirt on the lens with a vacuum cleaner, but it is not for the fainthearted. I did manage to do it a couple of times on various F30 and F31 cameras.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs +5 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
NewsView
OP NewsView Forum Member • Posts: 91

Great tips! I greatly appreciate the pointers to try with this camera. While I was away from my computer I shot some more photos at which time I noticed that the vignetting was apparent in the LCD preview as well. This got me to thinking about how a shadow could appear from dangling one's finger in front of the lens and I wondered if something else was in effect doing the same thing (though not my finger!). I turned the camera around and did not notice any of the other corners dimming, only when holding the camera in portrait mode with the power button on the bottom left. Turns out when I placed a finger to brace the midsection of the lens, there was some play in it that allowed the lens to droop ever so slightly relative to the other elements. There's about 1/8" of play in it but only in that particular direction do I see a darkening of the upper left corner. I also noted that if attempting to zoom while the camera is in portrait orientation it is very slow (up until that point I hadn't attempted to zoom a portrait-oriented shot). The slow movement and "lens droop" at wide angle could suggest that the assembly is askew or something shook a bit too much in shipping. If I can't have it looked at locally by an authorized service center I'll probably do an exchange once I take some time to apply the suggestions given above to address the other observations. Again, thanks!

NewsView's gear list:NewsView's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F750EXR Nikon Coolpix L610 Nikon D3300
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,512

DS21 wrote:

Unfortunately there are no really better options in 10x or more zoom range, the camera market has gone downhill very much with the introduction of long zoom lenses in small cameras with too many MP on the sensor. Of other options, I can recommend used F70EXR or F72EXR as a reasonable option to replace F30, not a step up in low light (about equal with right settings), but at least not so many problems with lens flare and exposure inconsistencies (but it does have PF), or Canon SX260 as the most reasonable pocket superzoom option on the today's market (only 12 MP), and currently on sale for good prices (new model coming soon). If 5X zoom is enough, according to many Fuji F200EXR (used) is the best Fuji pocket point and shoot ever made, and good replacement for F30.

Also, there is way to fix the dirt on the lens with a vacuum cleaner, but it is not for the fainthearted. I did manage to do it a couple of times on various F30 and F31 cameras.

My experience with the F300 has been stellar. It has exceeded all of my expectations and continues to be a delightful camera to use every day. It is the last model made before production switched to China and the lens and the camera are terrific. It is however a daylight only camera

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more

Wellington100 wrote:

DS21 wrote:

My experience with the F300 has been stellar. It has exceeded all of my expectations and continues to be a delightful camera to use every day. It is the last model made before production switched to China and the lens and the camera are terrific. It is however a daylight only camera

-- hide signature --

I wish F300 was slightly better in low light, at least equal to F70, I could recommend it then as an all-around camera. F70 is paradoxically more usable to me in low light then even the F600, despite the more noisy sensor. F300 with an F70 sensor would have been an interesting camera, but the MP race won the marketing battle, 12 MP sounded better then 10. I am still on the lookout for the cheap used F300 (the refurbished deal you pointed out does not ship outside the UK or Ireland).

Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs +5 more
painterdude
painterdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,857

I shoot the F770 EXR about the same cam. If you want to shoot subjects that are well lit and preferably in closer than 30 or so feet at base ISO then the F750 is your cam. I have some stuff from landscape shooting that are marginally okay but that's about it. Its pretty much a run of the mill p&S

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more

Wellington100 wrote:

DS21 wrote:

-- hide signature --

I wish F300 was slightly better in low light, at least equal to F70, I could recommend it then as an all-around camera. F70 is paradoxically more usable to me in low light then even the F600, despite the more noisy sensor. F300 with an F70 sensor would have been an interesting camera, but the MP race won the marketing battle, 12 MP sounded better then 10. I am still on the lookout for the cheap used F300 (the refurbished deal you pointed out does not ship outside the UK or Ireland).

Kim got me going with the F300, he was the person who reckoned it improved on the F70 and I still have my F70 but I feel that the F300 gives that little bit extra all round, its hard to quantify but the camera just works well. The F70 is more popular and more liked than the F300 but my experience with both has been the opposite.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more

I shoot the F770 EXR about the same cam. If you want to shoot subjects that are well lit and preferably in closer than 30 or so feet at base ISO then the F750 is your cam. I have some stuff from landscape shooting that are marginally okay but that's about it. Its pretty much a run of the mill p&S

I think it's as good as it gets in current pocket super-zoom class as a daylight camera. Maybe for landscape shots better to use M size, and intelligent sharpening on, but I have experience only with F600, where it works better then L size.

Wellington100 wrote:

DS21 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Kim got me going with the F300, he was the person who reckoned it improved on the F70 and I still have my F70 but I feel that the F300 gives that little bit extra all round, its hard to quantify but the camera just works well. The F70 is more popular and more liked than the F300 but my experience with both has been the opposite.

-- hide signature --

I am not sure F70 is more popular, maybe only more of them were sold because it was the first and smallest 10x zoom on the market at the time, and EXR was still fresh from the European TIPA award for F200EXR as a best compact camera for 2009. In my experience (my friend has F300), F300 is better in daylight (perfect white balance, best ever for F series), and F70 is better in low light, holds noise/detail balance better at high ISO (higher then 800).

Wellington100 wrote:

DS21 wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

I am not sure F70 is more popular, maybe only more of them were sold because it was the first and smallest 10x zoom on the market at the time, and EXR was still fresh from the European TIPA award for F200EXR as a best compact camera for 2009. In my experience (my friend has F300), F300 is better in daylight (perfect white balance, best ever for F series), and F70 is better in low light, holds noise/detail balance better at high ISO (higher then 800).

You are right about that. For me these are daylight only cameras, I cant see the point in struggling with them in low light. I don't shoot low light but if I did I would probably want a X10 or better still a X100, though the unloved XF1 looks interesting at 25mm at its f1.8 setting, as a cheap and uber convenient low light option for occasional use.

-- hide signature --

painterdude

ya bro I have tried it all..M size ..L size + various  variations. It just craps out on wide angle stuff..period. Also see color issues in situations where the light is lowerred. For most p&s its amazing but I guess..for me ..don't like the mush.

Here are a few more landscape thingys I shot with the 770 .

Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
CAcreeks

Painterdude likes to complain and draw attention to himself, so take his comments as such.

DS21's suggestion of shooting M size DR 400 would have greatly helped with this one, which is L size ISO 400 (!). Beautiful place, great composition, totally misguided camera settings.

... I have tried it all. M size/ L size + various variations. It just craps out on wide angle stuff..period. Also see color issues in situations where the light is lowerred. For most p&s its amazing but I guess..for me ..don't like the mush.

Here are a few more landscape[s] I shot with the 770 .

painterdude

by the by ..a better cam ..actually the best small sensor I used  was the S200EXR ..and I think the F200 had the same sensor ..That would be a cam to look for even used I would think over present iterations. Most of the shots on my site below were taken with that sensor ( in the bigger S200EXR).

all the best

g

by the by ..a better cam ..actually the best small sensor I used was the S200EXR ..and I think the F200 had the same sensor ..That would be a cam to look for even used I would think over present iterations. Most of the shots on my site below were taken with that sensor ( in the bigger S200EXR).

all the best

g

Correct, F200 is the best F, and I still use it, and because there is no equivalent model any more by Fuji, it will have to do for the foreseeable future. Even Canon S110 is not enough for me to upgrade, can't handle bright lights and high contrast scenes as well as F200. XF1 is too big, too fancy and much shorter zoom. F600 and the like can't handle night scenes with any streetlamp in it. I even tried the XZ-1, what a disaster that was compared to humble old F200.

CAcreeks
S200EXR recommendation

by the by ..a better cam ..actually the best small sensor I used was the S200EXR ..and I think the F200 had the same sensor ..That would be a cam to look for even used I would think over present iterations. Most of the shots on my site below were taken with that sensor ( in the bigger S200EXR).

Agreed, the S200EXR and its predecessor S100fd were excellent cameras, but much much larger than the F750.

The lens on my S200EXR is the best one I own, including a Minolta 50/1.4, 24-50/4, and 70-210/4.

painterdude

cool to hear your experience re the F200. I think Dave L did some awesome work with that little cam with its bigger sensor and showed a lot of stuff here.

Prior to the S200EXR I used the C8080. It only had 8 mp but woo that thing was only a shade off being a DSLR in quality and I took it everywhere. Olympus screwed up from there though and I had to go looking elsewhere for a replacement p&s ..(which was all I could afford at the time)

Why cam companies have more often than not gone backward re IQ after developing great products I have no clue but it has been disapointing. Perhaps the growing IQ in cell phones will force an IQ ramp up in bridge cams. 3X zoom eensy P&S I think are about dead ..

anywhoo.

all the best

g

cool to hear your experience re the F200. I think Dave L did some awesome work with that little cam with its bigger sensor and showed a lot of stuff here.

Prior to the S200EXR I used the C8080. It only had 8 mp but woo that thing was only a shade off being a DSLR in quality and I took it everywhere. Olympus screwed up from there though and I had to go looking elsewhere for a replacement p&s ..(which was all I could afford at the time)

Why cam companies have more often than not gone backward re IQ after developing great products I have no clue but it has been disapointing. Perhaps the growing IQ in cell phones will force an IQ ramp up in bridge cams. 3X zoom eensy P&S I think are about dead ..

anywhoo.

all the best

g

I am afraid there will be no ramp up of IQ in bridge cams anytime soon, as long as these crazy long zooms are getting fit into them, next generation might hit 1400 mm, IQ is of secondary importance to reach here. With the wider use of PP, the enthusiast users think they can sharpen and fix almost anything coming out of these compromised lenses, and looking at the generally positive reception the HS50 IQ gets, the IQ criteria among general public is going down fast.

cherish the good old cams....

best

D.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads