Mysterious Moving Rock (E-M5/7-14)

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions
Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,690
Re: DoF choice and PP

Anders W wrote:

kenw wrote:

Anders W wrote:

kenw wrote:

I was just using PS CS6 and the built in export option in LR to build a HDR file. And I don't do any tone mapping in PS - it exports a 32-bit HDR file back to LR (which I don't think Enfuse does). I don't really recommend PS in general anymore - I only ever use it for panorama or HDR and there are much less expensive options for those tasks. I have played with PhotoAcute which does a similar thing but actually does the merge in the RAW domain returning a "noiseless" DNG file to work with. A nice thing about PhotoAcute is you can get it for free by providing them a lens/body profile.

LR/Enfuse (a special version of ordinary Enfuse that works as an LR plugin) exports a 16-bit TIF back into LR if I recall correctly. You never have to leave LR to use it. I think it works in roughly the same way as PhotoAcute but PhotoAcute has a few extra bells and whistles and is probably the best software of its kind right now. I haven't got it yet since I thought it was a bit expensive. But thanks for the tip of how to get it for free. I'll look into that option.

Sorry, I was a bit vague in my response. What I meant was Enfuse doesn't create an HDR file. It creates a final LDR file that is already tonemapped (although strictly Enfuse doesn't do an HDR to tonemap conversion and is more akin to exposure blending). With the PS route you have the option of doing tonemapped LDR output or unmolested HDR. With PhotoAcute you can do a psuedo-HDR file by creating a DNG without tonemapping.

OK. I am with you now.

I don't think one approach is necessarily better than the other - i.e. tonemapping external to LR and finishing up with LR controls vs. only HDR merging external to LR and leaving all adjustments to LR. Personally I've now settled on the later option (HDR merge only and all editing in LR) because I find the LR controls easier to use. As a workflow side-benefit it also means I can do initial editing and evaluation on a single exposure from an AEB set in LR and if things are going well create the HDR merge and apply the settings from the single exposure with ease. With an external tonemap operation you kind of end up starting PP all over again.

I haven't yet started playing with "real" HDR, only with "exposure blending" à la Enfuse and I have yet to get an up-to-date copy of PS (I have only an antique copy of Photoshop Elements 2), the reason being that I haven't yet found a really strong need for it. But you said there are other software options for doing roughly what you do (HDR merging and then finishing up in LR). Do you have any recommendations here?

The 32bit merge to HDR in PS (5/6) and the integrated support in LR4.1+ is the coolest thing from Adobe in years.

If you haven't already seen it check out Matt Kloskowski's video here:

http://lightroomkillertips.com/2012/lightroom-video-a-new-hdr-feature-in-lightroom-4-1/

However, if you don't have PS, there's now a a plugin available ($29) from HDRSoft which will do the merging (fusion) and create the 32Bit TIFFs for finishing in LightRoom:

http://www.hdrsoft.com/download/merge_lrplugin.html

This is just the download, you need to purchase the license key from the purchase link.

-Najinsky

Oh, and I forgot to say earlier, hope you enjoy your trip to the west in the summer. I'm not very familiar with the Rockies, but if you are out in the California, Nevada and Utah areas and have any planning questions feel free to PM me. Especially Death Valley - like a second home to me.

Thanks. I might well take you up on that. It's getting high time to plan the trip in detail.

Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 39,704
Great photo! But...

...the perspective distortion on rock with that geometry is a distraction.  In my opinion, the shot would have been better captured with a fisheye.  In fact, the curvature of the horizon from using a fisheye may have even been a huge plus.

Say, now that I think about it, isn't there software that would turn the photo into a FE projection, and you could give it a go if you had it?

kenw wrote:

It has been a year since I've been able to take a picture of anything other than my daughter. Past week was out in Death Valley with my brother and nephew. Not really a photo trip, but I one evening I was able to be out at twilight in a nice location with my camera. Result below. This is one of the "moving rocks" on Racetrack Playa in the NW part of the park. Their motion has long been a "mystery", or more accurately a subject of debate. It mostly comes down to slippery mud and very strong wind. C&C always welcome and appreciated (and feel free to actually be critical if you want, no offense will be taken).

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466
Re: DoF choice and PP

Anders W wrote:

kenw wrote:

Anders W wrote:

kenw wrote:

I was just using PS CS6 and the built in export option in LR to build a HDR file. And I don't do any tone mapping in PS - it exports a 32-bit HDR file back to LR (which I don't think Enfuse does). I don't really recommend PS in general anymore - I only ever use it for panorama or HDR and there are much less expensive options for those tasks. I have played with PhotoAcute which does a similar thing but actually does the merge in the RAW domain returning a "noiseless" DNG file to work with. A nice thing about PhotoAcute is you can get it for free by providing them a lens/body profile.

LR/Enfuse (a special version of ordinary Enfuse that works as an LR plugin) exports a 16-bit TIF back into LR if I recall correctly. You never have to leave LR to use it. I think it works in roughly the same way as PhotoAcute but PhotoAcute has a few extra bells and whistles and is probably the best software of its kind right now. I haven't got it yet since I thought it was a bit expensive. But thanks for the tip of how to get it for free. I'll look into that option.

Sorry, I was a bit vague in my response. What I meant was Enfuse doesn't create an HDR file. It creates a final LDR file that is already tonemapped (although strictly Enfuse doesn't do an HDR to tonemap conversion and is more akin to exposure blending). With the PS route you have the option of doing tonemapped LDR output or unmolested HDR. With PhotoAcute you can do a psuedo-HDR file by creating a DNG without tonemapping.

OK. I am with you now.

I don't think one approach is necessarily better than the other - i.e. tonemapping external to LR and finishing up with LR controls vs. only HDR merging external to LR and leaving all adjustments to LR. Personally I've now settled on the later option (HDR merge only and all editing in LR) because I find the LR controls easier to use. As a workflow side-benefit it also means I can do initial editing and evaluation on a single exposure from an AEB set in LR and if things are going well create the HDR merge and apply the settings from the single exposure with ease. With an external tonemap operation you kind of end up starting PP all over again.

I haven't yet started playing with "real" HDR, only with "exposure blending" à la Enfuse and I have yet to get an up-to-date copy of PS (I have only an antique copy of Photoshop Elements 2), the reason being that I haven't yet found a really strong need for it. But you said there are other software options for doing roughly what you do (HDR merging and then finishing up in LR). Do you have any recommendations here?

The 32bit merge to HDR in PS (5/6) and the integrated support in LR4.1+ is the coolest thing from Adobe in years.

If you haven't already seen it check out Matt Kloskowski's video here:

http://lightroomkillertips.com/2012/lightroom-video-a-new-hdr-feature-in-lightroom-4-1/

However, if you don't have PS, there's now a a plugin available ($29) from HDRSoft which will do the merging (fusion) and create the 32Bit TIFFs for finishing in LightRoom:

http://www.hdrsoft.com/download/merge_lrplugin.html

This is just the download, you need to purchase the license key from the purchase link.

-Najinsky

Thanks for these additional suggestions. I'll certainly have a look at the links you gave me.

Oh, and I forgot to say earlier, hope you enjoy your trip to the west in the summer. I'm not very familiar with the Rockies, but if you are out in the California, Nevada and Utah areas and have any planning questions feel free to PM me. Especially Death Valley - like a second home to me.

Thanks. I might well take you up on that. It's getting high time to plan the trip in detail.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Camp Freddy
Camp Freddy Senior Member • Posts: 1,714
Skyline / horizon

That is a bit like tilting paintings hanging above eye level on the wall!

But really nice shot actually, the sky colours are great. I would load on some contrast and maybe mask up a little for the sky, but maybe you did as far as the picture keeping its natural feel and not getting plasticy.

-- hide signature --

================================
Enjoying Photography like never before with the E-450!
Images, photo and gimp tips:
http://olympe450rants.blogspot.com/
NORWEGIAN WOOD GALLERY
http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/888
Olympus' Own E450 Gallery http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/e450/sample/
"to be is to do" Descartes;
"to do is to be" Satre ;
............................"DoBeDoBeDo" Sinatra.
=============================

Camp Freddy
Camp Freddy Senior Member • Posts: 1,714
Not a mystery any more

Hmmm.... That definitely could be it.

Najinsky wrote:

Great image all round; capture, subject and processing. It really generates a lot interest, so much that I began looking for other images of the phenomenon, and I came across this link with this image:

It's seems like it's from a slightly different perspective, but given the backdrop and rock shape it looks like it could be your rock from back in 2005. I wonder how much more of it's progress has been capture on camera?

-Najinsky

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

The mystery on the movement was allegedly solved and explains why the rocks stay in one place for years.

When the rains come here, they really come ! The storm front lays down huge quantities of water, which saturates the surface which has no natural drainage channels. A mud or slurry forms, and int he winds behind the front which are up at 40 knts the stones glide in the biggest gusts on the emulsion under them like telfon for an oil rig derrick.

-- hide signature --

================================
Enjoying Photography like never before with the E-450!
Images, photo and gimp tips:
http://olympe450rants.blogspot.com/
NORWEGIAN WOOD GALLERY
http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/888
Olympus' Own E450 Gallery http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/e450/sample/
"to be is to do" Descartes;
"to do is to be" Satre ;
............................"DoBeDoBeDo" Sinatra.
=============================

jfinite Veteran Member • Posts: 8,099
Cool image! [nt]
 jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
MarceloLI
MarceloLI Veteran Member • Posts: 4,917
Re: Mysterious Moving Rock (E-M5/7-14)

Fantastic picture, very well done.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo

MarceloLI's gear list:MarceloLI's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads