Mysterious Moving Rock (E-M5/7-14)

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions
kenw
OP kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,349
Re: Mysterious Moving Rock (E-M5/7-14)

Thanks for taking the time to play with the image!  I've got some shots from a few years ago much like this crop.  It does work well.

s_grins wrote:

Let me be let's say not negative, but critical. I like your shot very much, that is why I felt a drive to take another perspective.

From nowhere to a stall

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
kenw
OP kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,349
Thanks everyone!

Thanks to all for looking and commenting!

-- hide signature --

Ken W

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466

Fantastic picture Ken! Hope to be there myself in June. Planning a trip to the Rockies (a couple of weeks) together with my wife, our son and our daughter-in-law. Much looking forward to it. Haven't been there since the late 1970s.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
ianp5a
ianp5a Regular Member • Posts: 239

I think Olympus have an attachment to stop your rocks moving around everywhere. I hope that can solve your problem.

ianp5a's gear list:ianp5a's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Brent J
Brent J Regular Member • Posts: 391
Love it! Will you accept a crop suggestion?

How about cropping off about 1/2 to 2/3 of the dark blue sky at the top of the image? When I clicked on the image and viewed it at 100% I thought it looked better with at little off the top. Just a suggestion. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

Brent J
Brent J Regular Member • Posts: 391
Re: Love it! Will you accept a crop suggestion?

How about this version?

-- hide signature --

Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466

A couple of technical questions out of curiousity since this is a nice example of a shot where sharpness across the frame (from front to back) matters and the way you can best handle the trade-off between DoF and diffraction and between alternative focus points is of some importance: So what f-stop did you use (can't see that from the EXIF info, only the EC), how close would you say the most proximate part of the image is, and where did you place focus?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Timur Born
Timur Born Veteran Member • Posts: 4,717

Wish the right mountain part was a bit less tall, but that's nature, not the photographer. Maybe a bit dark, but overall I love it!

Timur Born's gear list:Timur Born's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,414
What a wonderful photo - MANY reasons

kenw wrote:

It has been a year since I've been able to take a picture of anything other than my daughter. Past week was out in Death Valley with my brother and nephew. Not really a photo trip, but I one evening I was able to be out at twilight in a nice location with my camera. Result below. This is one of the "moving rocks" on Racetrack Playa in the NW part of the park. Their motion has long been a "mystery", or more accurately a subject of debate. It mostly comes down to slippery mud and very strong wind. C&C always welcome and appreciated (and feel free to actually be critical if you want, no offense will be taken).

I'll be visiting Death Valley in the summer (yes, summer, don't tell me, I know...) of this year.

And I will be over the moon if I return home with one single image half as good as this one.

Many reasons:

* darkness prevails, but we see just enough

* the lizard-skin texture of the ground is visible perfectly

* the phenomenon of the moving rock is illustrated vividly

* the horizon is a stark black silhouette line on the bottom and a nice curvy shape above, in pure black, like the silhouette of someone resting there

* gorgeous colour in the evening sky, complementing perfectly the hues of the ground

* the long part of the track (not the sudden shift to the right) is a great leading line towards the exact spot where the sun has gone to rest for the night, opening a time frame of darkness and more mystery.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

reygon Senior Member • Posts: 2,037

nice photo. very good post processing to emphasize foreground and background.

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

RoelHendrickx
Hmm, this alternative crop is indeed not bad at all...

Brent J wrote:

How about this version?

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Zaphodz Forum Member • Posts: 75
Wonderful!

Wonderful pic! Composition, colours, light - all great

Cheers - Zaphodz

Zaphodz's gear list:Zaphodz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic GH5 +5 more
eques Senior Member • Posts: 2,701
de-mystification

s_grins wrote:

Let me be let's say not negative, but critical. I like your shot very much, that is why I felt a drive to take another perspective.

From nowhere to a stall

-- hide signature --

This is a nice composition, too; but all the mystery is gone ...

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
eques Senior Member • Posts: 2,701
Re: Love it! Will you accept a crop suggestion?

Brent J wrote:

How about cropping off about 1/2 to 2/3 of the dark blue sky at the top of the image? When I clicked on the image and viewed it at 100% I thought it looked better with at little off the top. Just a suggestion. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

.. and in this case, I think you should not. - Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
RoelHendrickx
Let me say more

eques wrote:

s_grins wrote:

From nowhere to a stall

-- hide signature --

This is a nice composition, too; but all the mystery is gone ...

It does not even come barely close to the original.

Not only all the mystery is gone, but also the context of time and place.

We need to see that this rock is in a vast lonely desert.

And we need to know that it is twilight or it looks underexposed.

This alternative crop is VERY bad (IMHO of course)

Peter.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Detail Man
Detail Man Forum Pro • Posts: 16,688

Very nice light and subject, Ken ! I would bet the "time window" to catch that in was brief.

Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739
Is this your rock back in 2005?

Great image all round; capture, subject and processing. It really generates a lot interest, so much that I began looking for other images of the phenomenon, and I came across this link with this image:

It's seems like it's from a slightly different perspective, but given the backdrop and rock shape it looks like it could be your rock from back in 2005. I wonder how much more of it's progress has been capture on camera?

-Najinsky

kenw wrote:

It has been a year since I've been able to take a picture of anything other than my daughter. Past week was out in Death Valley with my brother and nephew. Not really a photo trip, but I one evening I was able to be out at twilight in a nice location with my camera. Result below. This is one of the "moving rocks" on Racetrack Playa in the NW part of the park. Their motion has long been a "mystery", or more accurately a subject of debate. It mostly comes down to slippery mud and very strong wind. C&C always welcome and appreciated (and feel free to actually be critical if you want, no offense will be taken).

-- hide signature --

Ken W

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,123
great job

I've seen hundreds of photos of these rocks, this is one of the nicer ones. Everything is spot on. I especially like the J-hook at the end. Won't repeat all the other's comments, except that I agree completely

Aquaroid
Aquaroid Senior Member • Posts: 1,656

A very nice picture and a mystery! Well done!!!

-- hide signature --

dpr://galleries/489967037/photos/687959
By the rules I can't point out that my camera has an R letter in its name and the number ONE, but, hell, we all must obey the rules...

Aquaroid's gear list:Aquaroid's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm
RoelHendrickx
Re: Is this your rock back in 2005?

Najinsky wrote:

Great image all round; capture, subject and processing. It really generates a lot interest, so much that I began looking for other images of the phenomenon, and I came across this link with this image:

It's seems like it's from a slightly different perspective, but given the backdrop and rock shape it looks like it could be your rock from back in 2005. I wonder how much more of it's progress has been capture on camera?

-Najinsky

kenw wrote:

-- hide signature --

Ken W

Seems indeed like it's the one. Amazing.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads