B&W Paris Streets (on music) : Tell me what you think, please.

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions
boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,413
Re: PS - name of the software?

RoelHendrickx wrote:

PS : Is it FotomaTico or FotomaGico?

Oop, sorry. Typo. It's fotomagico, as in "foto" "magic" "o!"

http://www.boinx.com/fotomagico/

I've admired your shooting. Happy to chat.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,813
Seems like Fotomagico is Mac only?

boxerman wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Were my replies useful?

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Re: B&W Paris Streets (on music) : Tell me what you think, please.

ajmoore7 wrote:

Really good, Love the reflection in the puddle and the person walking under the bridge, Great work!

Thank you.  In the context of this show (concentrating on couples and relationships) those two are actually something like filler shots, but I do like them myself too.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Taste

RogerMexico wrote:

Exceptional work. I actually think the zooming adds to the overall effect.

Well, there goes to show that taste is a subjective matter.  You are more on my frequency then, although I must admit that others have made me realize that I have gone a bit over the top.

You have a tremendous eye. Thanks for sharing the slideshow. RM

Thank you for those generous and kind words.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Sup Mylo Senior Member • Posts: 1,130

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I have been looking for a way to make slideshows more controlled and dynamic (and to add music), as an alternative for Zenfolio's standard slideshow feature (Zenfolio slideshows do have the benefit that they show the images in maximum uploaded resolution, depending on the viewer's monitor).

I think I am onto something with new software, and the incredible part is that the software does not run on a computer, but is a smartphone app (Splice for iOS).

I have posted my first attempt at making a musical and dynamic slideshow online.

It is based on a collection of B&W Paris candid images (shot on streets and public places) of which I may have shown some already here. Becasue they were all shot with Olympus E-M5 and a few assorted lenses. Here is just one image of that series:

La Madeleine

The new slideshow is here: http://roelh.zenfolio.com/p1046028174/h5854a698#h5854a6ba

The gallery of full-size (square format) images is here : http://roelh.zenfolio.com/p187119431

(I mention this because the video-format required recutting to 4:3 ratio.)

You would do me a big favour by taking a look at the video-slideshow and giving me your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Nice photo's of Paris, but didn't dig the zoom-in-out-in too much, it was too much! There are those who say (me being one of them) that less is more. The music was also a bit meh. IMHO the best photo of the lot is number 13, really great picture.

Anyway, despite my critique, I enjoyed the show.

Bon chance!

Sup Mylo

Sup Mylo's gear list:Sup Mylo's gear list
Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Leica Digilux 3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +6 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,659

Liked the pictures, and the music is fine.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +6 more
boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,413
Re: Seems like Fotomagico is Mac only?

RoelHendrickx wrote:

boxerman wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Sadly, I think it is. I saw iOS in your original note, and I jumped to conclusions. Their newest version looks like you can do amazing things with it. But, also, it may be overwhelming.

Were my replies useful?

Oh, yes! The back and forth on this thread has been quite interesting. It's worth hearing from those who don't like the genre, but, really, if you do -- or even just want to explore it -- it's more interesting to hear comments that are "actionable" in future efforts. Critiques and plaudits in the details.

I'll see if I can get my wife to post one of her shows so you and others can see.

Maybe I'll post a museum shot, or two, inspired by your work.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
gorred
gorred Senior Member • Posts: 1,204

Roel.

Interesting. You have made a video containing still pictures. Together with the music this example works fine for me.

Actually I like showing (and seeing) pictures in a series. Several pictures together tell a story in another way that is possible with only single shots. I often test my pictures by making a slide show, thereby more able to sort out the ones that doesn't do it or not fit in among the others.

I liked your Paris shots when you showed them here, and intersting to hear about your lens choices. The pictures are even more good, shown in this format.

//Göran

gorred's gear list:gorred's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
vincent filomena
vincent filomena Veteran Member • Posts: 5,106
As good as it gets...

Magnifique !

Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
RoelHendrickx
Re: Seems like Fotomagico is Mac only?

boxerman wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

boxerman wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Sadly, I think it is. I saw iOS in your original note, and I jumped to conclusions. Their newest version looks like you can do amazing things with it. But, also, it may be overwhelming.

Yes, I use an Apple phone but my other gear is (still) Windows-based.

Were my replies useful?

Oh, yes! The back and forth on this thread has been quite interesting. It's worth hearing from those who don't like the genre, but, really, if you do -- or even just want to explore it -- it's more interesting to hear comments that are "actionable" in future efforts. Critiques and plaudits in the details.

I agree : very useful.

I'll see if I can get my wife to post one of her shows so you and others can see.

Please do.

Maybe I'll post a museum shot, or two, inspired by your work.

Again: please do, and if I miss it, give me a heads-up.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Olyroo
Olyroo Regular Member • Posts: 333
Got to admit Roel fan here

Loved the pics and the music but like others the constant zooming and the speed was a bit much. I would like to have seen it full screen and a bit slower then maybe the zoom may have worked for me. i can see where you are going with this .......very nice

Olyroo's gear list:Olyroo's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
bmori Regular Member • Posts: 440

not really a fan of B/W

Didn't like the music - but it's difficult to please all of the people all of the time!

Love Paris

thought your slide show was absolutely captivating - nice job - well done

how about doing the same for Brugge

cheers

Bill

RoelHendrickx
finetuning

Atwater wrote:

Thanks! I really enjoyed your slide show. Strong compositions and great use of B&W to my eye.

Thank you.

I also like the zoom effects, though a possible improvement--if the software allows-- might be to select the motion effects so as to complement or show off the composition of the still photos.

I am sure there is a lot of finetuning possible (length of time per image, speed of movement, etc).

But this was in a sense just a rough first experiment.

And if I just keep fiddling and never finish anything that I can show, then there is no progress either.

Great music too. Thanks for sharing.

I always felt that tune reminded me a lot of Serge Gainsbourg.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Chembro, some stuff to digest

Chembro wrote:

An excellent set of photos, as we have come to expect from you Roel, and the B/W treatment is effective, especially for a Paris street offering - but, as others above have mentioned, for an AV there is too much movement, and, this may surprise you, too many photos.

Well, I see a difference in intention in slideshows: one is to showcase individual shots (and it needs to be pretty slow for that) and another is to create a whirlwind of impressions.  Just a few days ago, I saw a slideshow of little over one minute with really an incredible amount of shots.  It was called the proverbial "New York Minute".  A guy compressed his images of two days of visiting into one kaleidoscopic minute.  No way to look at any shot individually.  And it worked.

But I agree that I should probably aim at maximum 8-10 shots per minute and tune down on the special effects (pan-zoom).  As it is, the show flows at an indiscriminate 5 sec per photo.

For a slideshow of this duration (4-5 minutes) it is better to limit numbers to 40-50 IMHO. We want time to see the images, not just the movement. As a critic here I should still be in praise mode at this point but because there were so many images, by the time I reached the end I had forgotten what I had seen at the beginning - and this left me with a rather frustrated feeling - so criticism rather than praise is taking precedence.

I understand that. I will address it in future efforts.

Sorry. I did go back and look at individual images, however, initially just to count how many, and really enjoyed the quality and the variety of scene.

That is also why I included the link to not just the slideshow, but also the gallery from which the show is compiled : those interested in the (square format) "originals can watch them at leisure there.

There is a place for panning and zooming, and the temptation to use them is real, but you have used them as the exclusive transition methodology, eliminating a separate viewing time, and have not left us with any opportunity to really see and appreciate the whole image. With each image occupying 8-10 secs the transition time could be 3-5 secs at most with perhaps some variation in the transition format, including timed fades etc.

All of that is on my list of to-dos for a next occasion.

If you could slow the presentation down somewhat I am sure it would give a more satifying impression. In fact it woud add significantly to my pleasure from this forum if we could see more short slideshows. I personally use Pictures to Exe s/w but I am inpressed that you have been able to use a phone app.

OK : Pictures to Exe - that's one I will check out.

I will look forward to more of this type of work from you. Kind regards, Chembro

Thank you for your well-motivated and interesting remarks and for the encouragement.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Jeff Tokayer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,278

Great job Roel. Some fantastic images.

Do you get to choose the zooming action? or is it random?

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

RoelHendrickx
How the pan-zoom works

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Great job Roel. Some fantastic images.

Thanks.

Do you get to choose the zooming action? or is it random?

You get to choose it.

For every image, you can determine a crop as start-point and another crop as end-point.

The software evolves the image between those two in the time allotted to the photo (and taking into account transition to the next.

For this first effort, I just stayed with 5 seconds for every images (which accounts for the difference in speed of zooming) and had all my transitions as cross-fade.  For a next effort, I should of course finetune that : give some images more time (especially when there is a long way to zoom or pan).  And maybe also no crossfading for every transition, but some clean cuts too.

As for the zooming : the deliberate choice I made was to zoom in on every 1-3-5-7-etc image and to zoom out on every 2-4-6-8-etc image.  Panning gets added to the zoom, when the middle point of the start- and end-crop are different (which is almost always, but sometimes more obvious than other times).

I have a lot to learn.

Jeff, thanks for your input and an interesting question.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
unsettled by form or content?

s_grins wrote:

I felt very unsettled.

I suppose you mean that the transitions made you dizzy? You are not the only one...

Or did I misunderstand and does the content upset you?

BTW, I like your use of transitions but, "Microsoft movie maker" has more transitional options you could exploit.

There are also other options in Splice, but I thought that uniformity would be a good idea.

Probably not...

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,017
Re: unsettled by form or content?

RoelHendrickx wrote:

s_grins wrote:

I felt very unsettled.

I suppose you mean that the transitions made you dizzy? You are not the only one...

BTW, I like your use of transitions but, "Microsoft movie maker" has more transitional options you could exploit.

There are also other options in Splice, but I thought that uniformity would be a good idea.

Probably not...

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Your slide show did not make me dizzy, it is unsettling. It makes me ready to sacrifice my life to protect Paris, France, the whole civilization from imminent threat coming from unknown direction.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
RoelHendrickx

s_grins wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

s_grins wrote:

I felt very unsettled.

Your slide show did not make me dizzy, it is unsettling. It makes me ready to sacrifice my life to protect Paris, France, the whole civilization from imminent threat coming from unknown direction.

Please elaborate.  I am fascinated and puzzled at the same time.

Or did I miss an implied smiley?

Do my images give you the impression of looking at a civilization on the verge of collapse or disaster?  Rome before the Vandals invade it?  Or Pompeï before the Vesuvius burst?

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,017

RoelHendrickx wrote:

s_grins wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

s_grins wrote:

I felt very unsettled.

Please elaborate. I am fascinated and puzzled at the same time.

Or did I miss an implied smiley?

Do my images give you the impression of looking at a civilization on the verge of collapse or disaster? Rome before the Vandals invade it? Or Pompeï before the Vesuvius burst?

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

NO SMILES.

Your side show somehow connects my memory to documentary about WWII and occupation of Paris. Perhaps it is a combination of B/W and music. There is something alarming in your masterpiece.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads