LX7 lens coating issue?

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions
Cpljacko Contributing Member • Posts: 563
LX7 lens coating issue?

I got an LX7 several months ago and had it exchanged because it had a small whitish spot in the middle of the lens front element which appeared to be a coating fault. The replacement camera now appears to have developed a similar small mark near the edge of the front element. Wondering if anybody else has had this. It was one of the first imported into the UK and I am wondering if it may have been a faulty batch. Apart from that - what a superb camera.

Cpljacko's gear list:Cpljacko's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic LX10 Panasonic LX100 II Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 11,081
Re: LX7 lens coating issue?

Is it a spot that only shows when light is reflected off the lens surface?  If so, it may just be a spot of oil or even a water spot.  Anything that changes the thickness of the surface coating can show up as a white spot.

You can clean the lens (very carefully) by first blowing all dust off the lens surface with a blower bulb, then wiping the surface with a microfiber cloth that has been barely moistened with lens cleaning solution (available at any store tha sells eyeglasses).

If it can't be removed, take a picture in the macro mode -- very closeup with light shining more or less across the lens surface.  If it's not visible in the picture, I wouldn't give it another thought.

Years ago, people noticed bubbles in the glass of many Nikon lenses.  Given the excellent reputation of the lenses, other lens manufacturers started stirring small bubbles into their glass because it became a bit of a badge of quality!!

-- hide signature --

Darrell

wexie Forum Member • Posts: 63

Had a similar issue with a unit purchased online from B&H in December - a very small but noticeable round spot about 1/4 " from the edge on the front of the lens.  I tried a blower/microfiber cloth which failed to make a difference, and in fact it looked from the beginning like a fault in the coating.

It hadn't seemed to affect my (limited) pictures so far, and it was so small I wasn't going to worry about it.  However, I found myself in NYC still within the return period, so decided to stop by and get B&H's opinion. They agreed it was an issue and offered me a new unit, which looked fine.

I haven't used my second LX-7 enough the last couple of months to notice anything new happening; as I said, it looked like a fault in the original coating on the first unit, and I'd be surprised to see something appear on the second one - though certainly nothing's impossible.  Haven't read anything about it from anyone else, fortunately...

OP Cpljacko Contributing Member • Posts: 563

Thanks for the thoughts. The spot is more or less visible according to the angle you view it from. It is not anything on the surface that is removeable. Guess my concern is that as it seems to have appeared in the last couple of months, it may grow larger. As it is only small and doesn't affect the performance of the lens as far as I can tell, I am loathe to ask for another replacement - especially as it was an internet purchase. Was really wondering if this was a known issue - especially as it is the new large 1.4 lens possibly with a new type of coating.  I'll keep an eye on it and post any developments.

Cpljacko's gear list:Cpljacko's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic LX10 Panasonic LX100 II Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads