Fujifilm MX-2900 Zoom / Fujifilm Finepix 2900Z review

Started Dec 10, 2001 | User reviews
Unknown user 72409 New Member • Posts: 1
Fujifilm MX-2900 Zoom / Fujifilm Finepix 2900Z review

I bought it as a replacement to the good old lighting setup Polaroid because it came with an external hotshoe (not many digital came with any hotshoe two years ago) which I could use to hook up to sync-cord etc. I bought it for under $350, and therefore it was a great deal. It is made in Japan. LCD is clean and bright, and highly visible under daylight. Color accuracy is reasonable in TIFF mode. The image quality is fair, but not impressive. I would only use it in TIFF mode, JPG has way too much artefacts (halo etc). Focusing is EXTREMELY noisy and slow (if it is a 35mm I bet no one would buy it), but for my purpose it is fine. I gave up on the Serial cable link and used a SmartMedia USB adapter instead, the Serial is ridiculously SLOW. The battery life is short, yet using the Viewfinder only would save its life a bundle. The viewfinder is a piece of junk. I would conservatively (!) rate its coverage at about 75% if not LESS! This viewfinder will hardly be acceptable in the 35mm (I am talking about the cheapo automatic 35mm, not SLRs) market. I have NO IDEA why Fuji could not do a better job given that they know how to make a proper viewfinder AND these digital cameras are by no means "cheap"! That said, two years ago, basically all the viewfinders on any digital camera sucked. The new ones are becoming more acceptable (still not good enough). So, generally speaking, this camera is usable, well-built, good enough quality for consumers BUT it is also outdated. There are better stuff out there now. By the way, for 35mm film quality (for example, using Kodak Portra film), you need roughly 20 mega-pixels, so this camera is only doing 1/10th of what film can do.

Problems:

Trouble-free operation so far. I do not consider "cons" as problems.

FujiFilm MX-2900 Zoom (Finepix 2900Z)
2 megapixels • 2 screen • 35 – 105 mm (3×)
Announced: May 18, 1999
Unknown user 72409's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads