Sony Mavica FD-91 review

Started Jul 30, 2002 | User reviews
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Girish Babu New Member • Posts: 4
Sony Mavica FD-91 review

More than 25000 pics taken on my FD91 during the last 3 years!Because of the excellent range of the optical zoom, I could take better pictures than any other camera. Unbelievably good spot metering. Very practical storage device, but floppy is sometimes unreliable.
I have not located any digital camera with comparable level of optical zoom range. SONY! PLEASE BRING OUT A HIGHER RESOLUTION MODEL WITH OPTICAL ZOOM RANGES LIKE THE FD91. It could be a hit!

Problems:

The display panel gets scratches easily. Long recording time will make you miss some good shots. I wish there be a dual storage like a mem stick + floppy or atleast an iomega type zip drive!

Sony Mavica FD-91
1 megapixels • 2.5 screen • 37 – 518 mm (14×)
Announced: Nov 16, 1998
Girish Babu's score
Average community score
jazz camcorder
jazz camcorder Regular Member • Posts: 111
Re: Sony Mavica FD-91 review

this is really an amazing camera steady shot and zoom are really good

jazz camcorder's gear list:jazz camcorder's gear list
Canon PowerShot A470 Canon PowerShot G5 Fujifilm FinePix Z20fd Kodak EasyShare C433 Kodak EasyShare C713 +6 more
Samaistuin
Samaistuin Contributing Member • Posts: 693

Bumping a 14 year old thread is quite amazing too.

jazz camcorder

Samaistuin wrote:

wow did not see how old it was

Canon PowerShot A470 Canon PowerShot G5 Fujifilm FinePix Z20fd Kodak EasyShare C433 Kodak EasyShare C713 +6 more
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,290

jazz camcorder wrote:

I know it's not nice to say bad things about the deceased, but I thoroughly checked out this camera at a dealership in 1999 and realized that it was greatly overpriced and produced only 640 X 480 photos, with no more than about 40 to 80 kb encoding. I would have needed to be more eager to jump into the digital age, to have spent what would be close to $1,700. in today's money.

I did buy its little-known companion appliance, a MaviCap floppy-disk recorder, with a 2-inch color viewscreen. It was used to capture stills from analog, SD videotapes. I must have recorded at least 5,000 of those 640 X 480 vidcaps, which I can still play back today with an external floppy-disk drive or directly off the MaviCap over video inputs. Here's a couple of them, that came from my ED-Beta camcorder:

-- hide signature --
lancespring Veteran Member • Posts: 3,933
pretty much a worthless camera in 2016

jazz camcorder wrote:

Samaistuin wrote:

wow did not see how old it was

Buying a 17 yr old camera would not at all be a wise choice, for actually taking pictures.   This would be a great curio for a camera collector, to document the early days of consumer digital photography.

But it is now pretty much worthless to use in 2016, for the many reasons that I outlined in my reply to your review of the camera.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 +1 more
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 1,620
Re: pretty much a worthless camera in 2016

This was my first camera, the one referred to in my sigline. Fun fact: The FD-91 has a minimum shutter speed of 1/60" - I didn't get a lot of indoor shots back then..

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax K-S2 Apple iPhone 6
jazz camcorder

Stephen McDonald wrote:

jazz camcorder wrote:

I know it's not nice to say bad things about the deceased, but I thoroughly checked out this camera at a dealership in 1999 and realized that it was greatly overpriced and produced only 640 X 480 photos, with no more than about 40 to 80 kb encoding. I would have needed to be more eager to jump into the digital age, to have spent what would be close to $1,700. in today's money.

I did buy its little-known companion appliance, a MaviCap floppy-disk recorder, with a 2-inch color viewscreen. It was used to capture stills from analog, SD videotapes. I must have recorded at least 5,000 of those 640 X 480 vidcaps, which I can still play back today with an external floppy-disk drive or directly off the MaviCap over video inputs. Here's a couple of them, that came from my ED-Beta camcorder:

-- hide signature --

the fd-91 did 1024 x 768

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads