Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P9 review

Started Mar 27, 2003 | User reviews
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
seifufu New Member • Posts: 2
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P9 review

+ the size of this camera makes it very handy; i bring it along with me where ever i go
+ unlimited mpeg movie length
+ intuitive on screen menu is very easy to nagivate and use
+ myriad of features for its size - basically everything that a casual amateur would need
+ sturdy built and contruction: my camera (in its cybershot protective case) survived after it has been accidentally dropped from about waist-high onto solid - twice!
+ sleek appearance: in my opinion, the cybershot p-series is the best looking line of ultracompact dc from any manufacturer.

- images tend to be noisy when used indoors without flash; kind of expected given its small size.
- lack of zoom in movie mode
- lack of memory stick pro support for this camera (not the other way around b/c this camera was introduced way b4 the introduction of the pro format). Sony *should* find a way to extend the existing memory stick format past 128 mb as promised by previous press releases and roadmaps or work on a patch for support of the pro format on older cameras b/c high res cameras like this one often need more than just 128 mb storage, esp for users who shoot frequently. the memory stick select just doesn't cut it; why don't i just use 2 128 mb sticks instead if i have to take it out and hit the switch manually in the middle of, say, shooting a movie?
- the camera was a bit pricey as i bought it close to its introduction in june 2002. although its price has came down by more than 20% since its introduction, i think this camera (and generally other sony cameras) is strategically priced slightly higher than similar offerings from other manufacturers as premium for the sony brand.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P9
4 megapixels • 1.5 screen • 39 – 117 mm (3×)
Announced: Mar 12, 2002
seifufu's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads