Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2 review

Started May 19, 2004 | User reviews
arlee New Member • Posts: 7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2 review

I have been using my FZ-2 for about four months now, and I have to say that in that time this camera has met or exceeded almost all my expectations, which is rare. I am the kind of person who researches his purchases obsessively, and this camera is no exception. After two months of internet searching, I decided that this camera would suit me well. Usually, after building such a high expectation for something, it sets up the inevitable dissapointment of reality. This camera is nearly the only exception to this rule I can think of.

The Leica lens is excellent. It has some barrel distortion, but considering it's size and 2.8 aperture available throuought the unparalleled 12x zoom range, I consider it acceptable.
The OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) is a minor miracle. Since one of the FZ-2's best attributes is it's size, it would be counterintuitive to carry a tripod. The OIS is often a shot-saver in borderline tripod territory. (I also recommend using the burst mode in these situations.)
The flash is weak. I rarely use flash though, so this was never a real drawback for me. If you use a lot of flash though, I would say that this might be a deal breaker. It does a great job on twilight landscapes, though.
Battery is good, I can recommend to you eagle imports batteries as a inexpensive alternative to the insane price of a panasonic battery. One minor note, I imported mine from Germany, and their outlets are different obviously, so I had to buy a adapter from Radio Shack. No big deal, works fine.

As a final note, I will have to disagree with a previous reviewer who stated that his lens hood causes vignetting. I use the shade almost all the time, and I have not had any vignetting. I did some comparison shots, and all I saw was a reduction in flaring and increased contrast.

I could go on forever, but bottom line, this camera really does suit me well. It hasn't replaced film for me, and I didn't expect or want it to. But it is a fine complement to it, and most of all it is fun and effortless to use. I would recommend it to everyone.

Problems:

Weak Flash.
Included 8mb card is a joke. (get a Sandisk Ultra II, they are FAST, no lost images to date.)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2
2 megapixels • 1.5 screen • 35 – 420 mm (12×)
Announced: Aug 11, 2003
arlee's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads