Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom review

Started Jul 25, 2005 | User reviews
garro New Member • Posts: 2
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom review

Overall a very nice camera but I previously owned a C-2100 Ultra Zoom and I must say, the C-5060 falls short of my expectations. I knew I was giving up zoom range but I feel I also lost a significant amount of range with pictures utilizing the flash. And getting the camera to either focus or meter in lower light conditions can be a challenge. The camera has a nice feel and is compact, which was not something the C-2100 could claim. I actually purchased the camera without actually seeing one in a store. For some reason, this model wasn't carried by any of the main stores - only through online ordering. Because of this, what I didn't realize about the C-5060 was that the optical viewfinder was not like the C-2100, which had a digital display. I found using the camera in this manner instead of looking at the LCD screen on back much easier and like that I could look through the view-finder and see all of the camera settings. I was also disappointed in the seemingly slower processing. If you're taking portraits, this isn't a problem but trying to capture just the right moment I've found is quite aggravating with this camera. What you see when you think you've taken the picture is completely different when you view it. Given the choice I would not recommend this camera unless you're mainly looking at taking pictures of wide landscape views in well lighted situations.

Problems:

Unfortunately yes, especially since we're already disappointed in the camera's performance. Only after having the camera about 7 months, we're experiencing certain functions being activated without pressing a button. First discovered this problem when I was trying to delete a picture I was viewing and the Delete button wasn't functioning. At same time, realized the down and left arrow buttons were also not working. Further trial & error I've discovered the problem apparently originates with the Mode Selector Dial. Slight pressure on the side of the dial, less than what takes to turn the dial, causes irratic operation of the camera, such as the AEL (automatic exposer lock) function to activate without pressing the button and other buttons not working. During this condition, certain parts of the main menu cannot be accessed.

Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom
5 megapixels • 1.8 screen • 27 – 110 mm (4.1×)
Announced: Sep 29, 2003
garro's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads