Pentax Optio S60 review
This is an oddball of a camera. All things considered, and as far as digital is considered, I'm impressed with the thing. But there are some drawbacks...
I did some test runs and found the following:
* Macro mode is IMPRESSIVE.
* Images at ISO64 are virtually noise-free. Highly impressive. (Camera goes up to only ISO200, however, so I suspect the camera may not be so great at 200, so I'll stick to ISO 64 or 100.)
* Small in size
* Good battery life (200+ pics with plenty of battery life left (two AA size, 2500 NiMH each)
* Captured images look realistic. Not overtly glowing in saturation. Not overly contrasty either. (almost under-contrasty or "muddy", but it's better for it to underachieve than overachieve!!! Still, I say "almost" for good reason. And too many cameras I've used merrily overdo the contrast. There's a lot of shadow detail that's taken, and for low-end digital I am quite surprised.)
* With the sharpness set to LOW, the camera still takes very detailed pictures.
Given I am more 'at home' with SLR cameras, it's nice to see a low-end camera that also has the professional in mind. Anybody could easily use this camera, regardless of experience.
For a 6MP camera, and set at superfine resolution, average compression ratio seems to be 1:6. While it's not 1:4 as I would have liked, it's not 1:8 either.
In short, and read my problems below, for most things this isn't a half-bad camera. But low-light situations could be a bugger and there's no manual focus.
Zoom lens seems audibly noisy; as does the sensor shutter.
* The focus element is not so hot. The scene needs to be well lit or else it's not going to give you even a remotely decent image.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4