Canon PowerShot A430 review
I have been using a Canon S45 for a few years. I wanted a bit smaller camera that ran on AA batteries instead of a propriatary battery pack. The A430 has some good features.
1. Quick start up time.
2. A quality lens and Good zoom.
3. Fairly compact for a camera that runs on AA's.
4. Canon quality images.
5. Movie mode and good sound capture.
6. Good variety of picture shooting modes and settings.
7. Optical viewfinder with zoom.
The camera does not have,
1. Shutter or apreature priority. You wont be able to shoot long exposure night scenes, but I have the S45 for that.
2. Only 2 stitch modes, right to left, and left to right. This doesn't matter too much, I was doing stitches by eye through the veiwfinder and stitching them after. You have to watch the exposure this way, but it's do-able.
3. A small view screen. I just mention this as so many cameras are advertizing a large veiw screen, usually sacraficing the optical viewer. With those you have to run the screen all the time. I typically have the screen shut off and I use the optical viewer most of the time to extend battery life. I have a computer for viewing the pictures in a large format.
For my needs this camera fills the bill nicely. It is small enough to carry in the pocket and the images are Canon quality. 4 megapixels is more than enough for the images I print (8.5 X 11 at the most) so I am not getting caught up in the 'Pixel Wars'.
A good camera for under $200.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%