Nikon Coolpix S6 review
As a D100 (and hopefully D200) owner, and past CoolPix 900/990 owner, I was
looking for something I can keep in my pack when I travel (I spend most of my life
on the road for work). Small, light, compact was critical.
I've been happy with it so far with the exception of short battery life (compared to
what I'm used to with the D100). I managed about 100 shots (some with flash and
some without) between charges. I found this out the hard way when it ran out
when we finally reached the top of the waterfall 4 miles into the backcountry.
That's one of the few times I've ever used the camera on my cell phone...
I haven't taken more than a few hundred pictures yet, so I can't comment on
overall sharpness, clarity and color, although my preliminary reviews look good.
The number of shooting options, to somebody who's used to doing things
manually, can be overwhelming. I've found myself leaving it in generic shooting
mode alot. Although I have to admit I love the landscape and "faces" modes. they
And... if you work with a leveled tripod, the panorama mode works great. I love
that it produces QuicktTime VR movies.
All in all, this has been a great addition to my travel bag.
- The charger/base combination that came with the camera is more than 3 times the
size of the camera. There should be a travel charger that plugs into the wall, and
the battery rides on the back of the plug. Compactness matters to me.
- Shutter lag is noticeable to me (again, I'm probably spoiled by the quickness of
- I've had a couple situations where the 1Gb memory card doesn't seat quite
correctly, and I get the message "Can't use this card". Removing it and reinserting it
a few times usually makes it work. I've opened an issue with Nikon this AM to see if
this could be an issue with a connector in the camera.
- The wireless transfer mode occasionally messes up a picture it transfers and
doesn't tell you it had a problem. Make sure if you use wireless mode, that you
review (carefully) every single picture it transfers. I've had it mess up on 3 of 40.
Simply re-transmitting fixed the problem (but broke a couple others, as I did the
bulk transfer). I've started using USB mode just to avoid the risk of losing data.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%