Nikon Coolpix 5700 review

Started Dec 29, 2006 | User reviews
pooky125 New Member • Posts: 4
Nikon Coolpix 5700 review

I had this camera for more then a year when it got stolen from me, just a week and a half ago. I loved it. The macro was fantastic. You can see examples of my macro shots at www.pooky125.deviantart.com The pictures were clear, color accurate, and beautiful, when it felt like it. Mine, more then most others, I hear, was very particular on when it felt like taking a good photograph. It didn't like my mother much. When in Automatic mode for her, the pictures were frequently washed out and blurry. Hand the camera to me, and they were fine. I assume it's operator error, but she also had a 5700, and never had problems. Either way, it rarely acted up for me.

The automatic mode was fantastic, but the shutter lag was slow, to a frustrating level. If you have kids, this is not the camera for you! I took mostly landscape and macro/flower pictures, so I never really had to much of a problem with it.

The body is a nice, strong magnesium. Not the flimsy plastic seen on most models. I could throw it in my (very large) purse, and haul it all over the country. No matter how many times I dropped in down the stairs, on the concrete floor, whatever, it never stopped working.

The LCD screen was small, and not very clear, so it was often hard to tell if the camera was really focused until the pictures wre on th computer. I had many a picture not quite as in focus as it looked on that little replay screen.

With the addition of a lense hood, this camera got alot of compliments, not only on appearance, but on the overall results as well.

I was very happy with it.

Problems:

That being said, it was a rediculously complex camera. Only after having it more then a year, did I have a full grasp on what all the buttons were for. I once counted more then 20 on the body, all with in fingers reach, and I had a problem with nudging them and changing my settings when I was trying to get a better grip on the camera.

Also, it would have been nice if there were a few more options for shutter speed and fstop levels, but you can't win them all.

At a high ISO level (above 400) the image was noisy, but not irreparable.

Nikon Coolpix 5700
5 megapixels • 1.5 screen • 35 – 280 mm (8×)
Announced: May 29, 2002
pooky125's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads