Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 review

Started Mar 29, 2007 | User reviews
Jim Boutilier Senior Member • Posts: 1,085
Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 review

I've looked at many consumer and pro-sumer class DSLR's. Many are capable of taking excellent photographs.

Because I've been doing photography for 30 years, I not only value the technical capabilities of a camera, but build quality, feel, ergonomics, and "soul" of a camera. Its in these areas that the DMC-L1 excells.

Build quality looks and feels far better than similarly priced "metal body" competition. The less expensive plastic bodied stuff does not even compare. The "kit" lens on this product is also far higher quality than comes with competatively priced products and higher than several manufactures offer in thier entire line.

This product offers far less "features" than many others but it has all the features one needs while keeping it simple and offering "old fashoned" controlls that have excellent and proven ergonimics.

The few issues reported in pre-production models seem to have been corrected. This camera is easy and simple to use while taking excellent quality photos.

Problems:

My only peeve is that the viewfinder is a little darker than I've seen on many competetive products. In dim light I can usually switch to live-view to get a bright clear image though so I can live with this nit

Jim Boutilier's gear list:Jim Boutilier's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple Aperture DxO Optics Pro Standard
Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1
7 megapixels • 2.5 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Feb 26, 2006
Jim Boutilier's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads