Nikon D40X review

Started Apr 30, 2007 | User reviews
deisenbraun New Member • Posts: 8
Nikon D40X review

I've been a Nikon person for many years and this is my first digital. There are a couple of things I miss but I'll get into them in a moment.

First is that is does a pretty good job. My mind is still expecting to see that pure liquid clarity of a Kodachrome slide but alas I'll get used to digital I guess. In any case, close ups and such were fine though I had trouble focusing a group of students across a small class room.

Low-light flash performance with the SB-600 is excellent and it's nice that this thing doesn't eat batteries like they're going out of style.

Daylight use has also been excellent, it just seems I'm having problems with normal room-lighting for some reason. My focus seems a bit soft but I suspect it is my technique - gotta get used to this new technology.

If one looks at all the features of this camera it is difficult to think of it as the bottom of Nikon's DSLR line-up. It has full program, vari-program, various-preprograms, P, A, S, M modes as well as matrix, average and spot metering, rear-sysnc flash, slow-speed flash, etc. I think it even has mirror lockup. These are all features in the "old" days of higher-end cameras. So though it is relatively expensive you do get a lot of camera for you money. The problem is that most people (myself included) will never use this camera to its full potential.

Problems:

There are two things that annoy me:

1. I cannot lock focus to one area. I can make it so the focus stays on the left, center, or right zone only as long as I don't accidentally touch the rear dial and change focus zones. Nikon says "locking" the zone is not a feature this camera has. Too bad, I'd give up one of the program modes for this feature.

2. Though some results have been good, I am not completely blown away by results using the SB-600 flash. Maybe I'm expecting too much. My SB-20 on my N6006 was nearly bullet proof, but as before, maybe I just need to work out the details some.

A few nit-picking things, but otherwise a great camera that I highly recommend.

Nikon D40X
10 megapixels • 2.5 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Mar 6, 2007
deisenbraun's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads