Nikon D40X review

Started May 28, 2007 | User reviews
HLP New Member • Posts: 2
Nikon D40X review

I've been shooting with the D40x for a couple of weeks now. It is my first SLR of any sort, ever. I had been using Canon digicams - PowerShot G6 and before that G4. I was so disappointed with the G6 that I used for 2 years because the metering always over-exposed, I had increasingly bad purple fringing, and shooting was too slow for capturing kids. I wish I had gone with a DSLR two years ago!

OK, about the D40x (with the kit lens and Speedlight 400). I love it! I am so comfortable shooting with it. It is so light, and when you are behind the lens, it doesn't feel like a big camera at all. It's small enough to throw in the daiper bag and I have it with me almost as often as I did with my old digicams.

Having never used an SLR before, I don't miss the top LCD display at all. I have the function button set to change the ISO value, as I prefer to use auto WB.

That's it for now... the D40x has been a great first DSLR for me.

Problems:

In my first bunch of photos of the kids, using the "Program" setting, the color mode was set to the default - IIIa (sRGB) - and all the indoor shoots were terribly pink. I have changed to Ia and the "Portrait" optimization, and the kid shots are turning out great. However, this settings are real deep in the menus, so when I want to go shoot landscapes, I have to go deep to change these options.

Nikon D40X
10 megapixels • 2.5 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Mar 6, 2007
HLP's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads