Nikon D40X review

Started Jun 11, 2007 | User reviews
JcPapova New Member • Posts: 2
Nikon D40X review

Hatfields vs McCoys...

(D40) First DSLR for me. I'm a die hard canon fan as far as point and shoot but growing up with my father's avid enthusiasm for his F4 made me go with a trusted brand name. Despite the price ($550 with rebate for kit) in comparison to competitors (rebel, olympus...) it has a solid construction both when handled and in appearance (matted black). I thought the rebel felt a little cheap in terms of the plastic quality and this camera certainly does not feel that way. Power up is fast and learning curve to use the feature is pretty good... helps with the graphic representation of the aperture and shutter speed.

Used it at a department dinner recently and it took amazing pictures for a 6 mp camera with option to save in RAW + normal jpg mode. "nikon" name got instant street cred. large display was a plus when reviewing.

I'm new so perhaps the more seasoned nikonians can offer an opinion in terms of lenses. Nikon lenses seem to be more expensive than Canons and (although large in itself) a smaller aftermarket selection when again compared to the Canons. Also, some lenses will not work with D40/D40x so shop carefully.

A good starter if you intend to stay within the nikon family. very pleased.

Problems:

None.

Nikon D40X
10 megapixels • 2.5 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Mar 6, 2007
JcPapova's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads