Pentax K200D review
This is a great camera. It is very solidly constructed and the user interface is good out of the box and highly customisable, so you can really make it a tool that works extremely well for you.
Image quality is excellent. High resolution and low noise straight from the sensor if you shoot RAW. The JPEG quality appears very good too (even though i don't use it much).
In body image stabilisation means you get stabilisation even for high-speed primes. Pentax has a number of these in their line up and they are excellent quality. The combination of high speed aperture (with high lens IQ), in body stabilisation, and low-noise high ISO means you can do low light photography better with this than any other camera I know of.
Lens availability is great for high quality primes (which exactly what you can't get from Sigma and Tamron so most important for original manufacturer to cover). Otherwise, most of the lens spectrum except super tele is covered by Pentax, with quality that is generally no worse or no better than the average competitors. The exposure system works fine, and the AF is precise even if it can sometimes hunt a little.
In summary, I believe 1) image quality, 2) usability, and3) availability of high quality lens are the main criteria to evaluate a camera. I think on the first two the Pentax is outstanding, and on the third they real excel in primes, and have a broad enough range for 95% of all applications (super tele being the other 5%, but you could get some from Sigma if you needed).
Not really a problem, but if your main application is something like sport or other things where you need a fast frame rate and very long tele, you should consider other manufacturers. 3fps is fine for what i do, but the competition in this price class generally offers 5+ fps. So, if sports or other fast action shots is what you are after you should probably just buy Canon there is a reason that all the pros doing sport use it.
|Mig-17-1 by bbmach|
from Low Pass
|Rotting Gracefully by Mond|
from Natural Decay
|attic by wgjohnston|
from In the attic, or in the basement!
|Ox Bow Aspen by McFrost|
from cell phones - nature photographs