Canon PowerShot A630 review
After 6 months and over 3000 pictures I've now sold my A630 for the exact same price that I bought it (€150 used) proving that this is a classic which doesn't lose its value easily.
It's so consistently good across-the-board that it's hard to say what the best thing about it is, but in short:
- excellent sharpness straight-out-of-cam, especially for macro
- extensive manual controls allow almost complete freedom
- flexi-bendy screen (brilliant for awkward macro shots)
- widely-available firmware crack will allow RAW and other functions (invalidates warranty...search the forums for more)
Recommended for novice-to-amateurs who want an all-round portable can-do camera.
None at all. Noise is an issue in low light, and you might want to apply noise-reduction filters post-processing for some shots...but we know that noise is an issue with any compact camera, and at least the A630's in-built noise reduction doesn't smear things.
Two minor minus points:
- the viewfinder is only useful when following moving objects, otherwise you won't use it much...but it's good that Canon continue to build these into their compacts.
- when you are filming video, you will notice a constant high-pitch tone throughout the entire audio. This is normal and has to do with the microphone speaker's proximity to the lens motor. It means that if you do shoot video, you will probably want to overlay your own audio track over it. The video quality is good enough, however, for your youtube clips etc.
|Madrid subway by MAGMATCICO62|
from Your City - Public Transport
|Incandescent Bulb by Kukla|
from Illuminate- Macro only
|Curiousity by PERCY2|
from Macro - Your Best Macro Ever
|Hoar Frosted Trees by sabishiT3T|