Canon PowerShot A630 review
After 6 months and over 3000 pictures I've now sold my A630 for the exact same price that I bought it (€150 used) proving that this is a classic which doesn't lose its value easily.
It's so consistently good across-the-board that it's hard to say what the best thing about it is, but in short:
- excellent sharpness straight-out-of-cam, especially for macro
- extensive manual controls allow almost complete freedom
- flexi-bendy screen (brilliant for awkward macro shots)
- widely-available firmware crack will allow RAW and other functions (invalidates warranty...search the forums for more)
Recommended for novice-to-amateurs who want an all-round portable can-do camera.
None at all. Noise is an issue in low light, and you might want to apply noise-reduction filters post-processing for some shots...but we know that noise is an issue with any compact camera, and at least the A630's in-built noise reduction doesn't smear things.
Two minor minus points:
- the viewfinder is only useful when following moving objects, otherwise you won't use it much...but it's good that Canon continue to build these into their compacts.
- when you are filming video, you will notice a constant high-pitch tone throughout the entire audio. This is normal and has to do with the microphone speaker's proximity to the lens motor. It means that if you do shoot video, you will probably want to overlay your own audio track over it. The video quality is good enough, however, for your youtube clips etc.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!