Nikon Coolpix P80 review

Started May 26, 2008 | User reviews
benpdx New Member • Posts: 5
Nikon Coolpix P80 review

I am a novice photographer who upgraded to a P-80 two days ago from a six year old Canon S-30 (our first DC). Unlike many of the amateur reviews I've come across on for the P-80, I'm finding it is taking some wonderful pictures! It definitely shines on the close-up shots, and does much better outdoors than indoors. The zoom is pretty amazing for a camera this small and light, and the image stabilization really helps keep the image focussed even while zoomed in (you can see the image shaking on the screen due to my unsteady hand, yet the picture comes out fine). I only took a handful of pictures indoors, and they did not come out very good. I still need to learn more about the camera so I can play with various settings to see what works best for indoor shots. One great feature is the sports/burst mode, which takes 13 shots/sec! Each frame is a good picture in that it is in focus, so you just pick the ones you like best (you don't get a bunch of junk when doing this). Also the video quality is not bad; i'll probably end up using this for most of my short video takes of the kids around the house. There are many video modes, including black and white and sepia, which are nice. Also the zoom works while recording video, but not the full zoom (perhaps digital zoom only?) I have found the controls and menus extremely easy and intuitive, and I don't even "text" on my phone nor know how to program a vcr (yet I'm a software developer, go figure...) ;-). I appreciate the simple interface of the camera (not cluttered with tons of buttons), yet the features are all quickly and easily accessible. So all in all, pictures have good color and sharpness, camera is responsive (power up time, focus time, lens adjustment, etc.) So fare we are very impressed with this camera. Another nice thing about this camera is that spare batteries are only about $30 on Amazon (They are $45 for my old Canon). I have not used any comparable cameras in this class, so from my perspective I'm fairly giddy over the power and features of this camera.

Problems:

Not great indoor performance using auto mode. Battery life not great (about 100 pics and a few videos, but with heavy zoom use and constant fidgeting/reviewing images, transfers, etc).

Nikon Coolpix P80
10 megapixels • 2.7 screen • 27 – 486 mm (18×)
Announced: Apr 10, 2008
benpdx's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads