Nikon Coolpix P80 review

Started Jun 12, 2008 | User reviews
Becky55963 New Member • Posts: 7
Nikon Coolpix P80 review

Less than I hoped, but it isn't intended to compete with the SLRs.

I purchased this Camera from Best Buy 2 weeks ago. I have played around with it a fair amount but I have not actually taken it out for any serious shooting. I have been shooting the Nikon D70 and this year moved up to the D300, which I adore. But, the D300 is a valuable piece of equipment and very heavy. I wanted a camera for family events, vacations, etc. that could take action shots and was very light.

I discovered immediately that the rapid fire option of this camera does not do what I had hoped. It is limited to ISO 640 and a middle size image. BUT, I can shoot at ISO 200 in continuous mode and catch a fair amount of action. That gives me full size images, too. I can capture about 5 or 6 images at one time before the camera stops to save. It says 1.1 images per second at this setting, but I am getting more than that. So, I would say that it is pretty good. Not 15 fps, but I didn't really expect that for $350.

The noise level is annoying. At 200, it is just fine. At 400, it is acceptable. But, shooting above that is frustrating. But, remember, I am comparing it to my D300 and that is really not a fair comparison. If I compare it to the little L11 that I carry around in my purse, it is not half bad.

I purchased this camera to take on vacations. I like to take great pictures on vacation, but I tend to go to sunny places and I don't need huge prints. So, I am expecting that I will be happy with this little camera. The big question will be if I am taking a cool trip, am I going to be happy enough with this to leave the D300 at home?

Problems:

High speed shooting is too limited. At ISO 640, sunny shots get washed out and there is no current way to mount a filter on this to compensate for this. I am going to see if I can gerry rig some kind of a filter and will post an update if I have any success.

Nikon Coolpix P80
10 megapixels • 2.7 screen • 27 – 486 mm (18×)
Announced: Apr 10, 2008
Becky55963's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads