Nikon D300 review

Started Jun 18, 2008 | User reviews
ppolgar New Member • Posts: 14
Nikon D300 review

I’ve been a professional photographer for over 20 years and use both the Canon and Nikon pro systems. I own the Nikon D3 and recently purchased the D300 as a back-up system and I really put this camera through its paces. In terms of build quality, ergonomics and features, sure it’s a wonderful camera. But I do have issues with the images the D300 produces. First off, I only use pro lenses. No cheapy glass for me. Initially, I found the images are very colorful depending on the in-camera settings of course. The photos do have a dynamic range advantage over some of the previous systems particularly the D200. However, upon closer examination, 100% crop in Photoshop, I find that there is an unacceptable level of noise especially in the shadow areas of the photos even at ISO 200. Also, the RAW files appear quite soft especially when comparing the images to my Canon 5D. There is certainly room for extended sharpening in Photoshop but this requires a certain level of skill as not to elevate the noise issue in the process. In most cases, I use Photoshop’s RAW converter to open the RAW files as shot from the camera’s sensor. I did play with the camera’s internal settings however, I did notice that Active D lighting is problematic and can also increase the noise level in the shadow areas. Very disappointing. But also, extending in-camera sharpening will also increase the noise level. Another major disappointment. This was never an issue with either my D2X or my Canon 5D. The images from my D2X appear sharper and much cleaner up to ISO 800. Sorry folks, in terms of flat out image quality, my D300 is disappointing. If it’s any consolation, I absolutely love my Nikon D3.

Problems:

No problems.

Nikon D300
12 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Aug 23, 2007
ppolgar's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads