Olympus E-420 review

Started Mar 8, 2009 | User reviews
paulandrew New Member • Posts: 4
Olympus E-420 review

In addition to the Canon cameras, about which I left some opinions for the 40D, I also own the Olympus E-420 and E-520. Since they became relatively inexpensive I had decided to enter the 4/3 world. The picture quality of the two models is very comperable and actually preferable to the Canon 400D. The high ISO images are more like those of Nikon- more grainy and less chrome noise. For A4 size prints it is very, very difficult to tell any difference in all cases. I don't want to get into the artistic aspects because that has little to do with the camera; except for special applications all will serve general photographic situations. Of all the cameras, I actually prefer the form factor of the E-420 best. It allows the greates finger freedom and position holding ability and has the right weight to go with that form factor. I still use the 14-42mm kit lens and am very happy with it. I also like the combination for live-view use. For the heavier longer reach lenses I use the E-520.

As far as systems go, The E-system has about as broad backing as Canon and Nikon and has the advantage of being an open system. Component technology has now improved to the point that although size factors impose limits, as regards the laws of physics and optics, they are now at the point where features become the determiing factor in camera choice. I also keep an Olympus 1030 in the glove compartment of my car and frequently use a Panasonic FZ-28 to prove the point.

Problems:

I have had no problems with this Olympus or any of my Olympuses all the way back to my very first digital camera which was an Olympus C-5050- which I still have- or any of my camras. I am a protected person!

Olympus E-420 (EVOLT E-420)
10 megapixels • 2.7 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Mar 5, 2008
paulandrew's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads