Fujifilm FinePix F50fd review
There are still a number of these out in the market, on ebay etc. being sold as clearance and refurbished units. I got one of these lately at a very low price (more than 50% off the original retail price). Previously, I've owned an F10 (superb little cam!) and F45 (decent camera lacking only in battery life, true IS and more creative modes).
- Has shutter and aperture priority modes, I use the A mode quite often.
- Slim and easy to carry around
- Larger, clearer LCD than my older F series cameras
- Good face detection though I seldom use this feature
- Nice pictures in bright light
- Good quality mostly metal casing and nice build
- useless image stabilization (sensor shift). I got this camera and sold off my F45 thinking this would be an upgrade since it had true IS but much to my disappointment, the IS is very ineffective. There doesn't seem to be any positive differences with it on or off. Sometimes, pictures appear even more blurry with it on! I could get pictures just as good with it off and like I said, sometimes even sharper pictures than with IS on. Only a small number of pictures shot in a series with in on are sharper than when shot without IS. Very inconsistent and ineffective! I now shoot with it set to off.
- Poor battery life. My F10 could shoot 500 pictures per charge. My F45 could do about 300. I find myself running low on power after just 200 pictures with the F50.
- Noisy pictures even at low ISOs when shooting in less than ideal lighting conditions. I would not shoot above 400 ISO with this camera, it's just too noisy and the noise reduction blurs away a lot of detail.
- Verticle lines appear in 1600 ISO and are also visible (though faint) in 800 ISO pictures.
In short, the F50 is a big disappointment for Fujifilm's F-series fans. It could have been a very good camera if they had stuck to just 6 or 8 megapixels instead of 12. The IS is also highly ineffective.
Vertical lines in 1600 ISO, a known issue it seems.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%