Canon PowerShot SD960 IS / Digital IXUS 110 IS review
Very similar to other Canon SD9x0IS models in terms of IQ and HD 720P video.
I compared this back to back with a Pansonic Lumix ZR1 and both take excellent pictures and captured HD movies in 720P at 30fps.
Both are very similar in terms of size, cost and performance.
The big difference can be easily seen when taking video. The Canon is much brighter and colors and gradients smoother than the Panny. It must be a factor of the aperture size since when zoom in with both camera's and the aperture is about 5.8, they both take equally dark and noisy video.
***The SD960IS is superior in terms of:
- larger aperture lens 2.8 vs 3.3
- brighter less noisy low light pictures and video
- better automatic white balance detection
- Easier to use and better looking GUI
- Uses std USB mini-B and mini HDMI connectors
- central placement of tripod mount
- larger screen in movie mode
***The ZR1 is awesome because:
- 8x vs 4x optical zoom
- Wider 25mm vs 28mm lens
- Can opticall zoom in movie mode!!
- Easier to grip ergonomic design
- Faster burst mode
- larger screen in picture mode
I also compared this to the SD940IS and the SD960IS:
***The SD960 has
- larger screen in movie mode/smaller in picture mode
- slightly better macro mode
- slightly brighter in maximum telephonto/zoom
***the SD940IS is:
- much much thinner (only 2mm thicker due to lens than SD780IS) and shorter
- more dedicated buttons (labelled too)
- comes in cooler colours
Body is too smooth and rounded. Make sure you use that wrist strap!
Since the edges of the body curve in, the camera is naturally unstable sitting on a desk.
Needs a dedicated (programmable) movie botton like the SD940IS.
Pastel colours may be off putting.