Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 review
GH1 vs. Canon 450D & GH2 wish list
I made a few days side by side comparison with the Panasonic GH1 (14-140mm) and Canon 450D (Tamron 18-270mm).
I liked GH1 a lot and especially:
- The small size and weight of the GH1. This is a really important advantage of GH1.
- The flexible swivel and tilt GH1 LCD monitor is just great
- The GH1 zooming and shooting noise is much less than with Canon.
- GH1 image quality is very good at low ISO settings like 400.
However, there was some serious troubles:
- The closed or lazy eyes problem exist with the GH1 + Metz 58AF-1. Canon 450D + 580EXII do not have this problem, because the time between the preflash and mainflash is only 56 milliseconds. Metz technical support sed that Metz 58AF-1 is able to work with 50 milliseconds time difference, but GH1 body is much slower.
- GH1 cannot control of the autofocus-measuring beam of an external flash unit !!!
- The GH1 operation and autofocus speed was slightly slower than 450D, but maybe this was only a feeling which may be due to silent focusing and shooting
- The image quality of Canon 450D is slightly better with high ISO settings.
I decied to wait for GH2 before I change my whole Canon system with several lenses and flashes to Panasonic system.
Panasonic GH2 wish list:
1) Shorter preflash and main flash time, ie. less than 55 milliseconds to eliminate the closed eyes problem with flash.
2) Autofocus-measuring beam control of an external flash unit must work.
3) More dynamic range to the sensor (I do not need more pixels)
4) Slightly better image quality at high ISO settings.
5) More operation speed.
6) Remove the mechanical shutter - I hope to get a silent camera.
GH1 exposure compensation button has been hided. I did not find it without the manual. I do not like if working tools and puzzles have been mixed with each others.
|Morning At Picture Lake by Buzz Lightyear|
from Dawns first rays
|AT-6 Harvard by jarud|
from Trainer aircraft
|Matterhorn by ewng|