Recommended!

Started Apr 2, 2011 | User reviews
pluis New Member • Posts: 14
Recommended!

I've had this lens for almost a year now for my Nikon D90. This is my go-to lens for traveling, and wider studio work.

The bad: at 17mm, the corners could be better and there's quite severe barrel distortion (but it's perfectly correctable in Lightroom, for instance). Across the zoom range, f/2.8 is slightly less usable due to softness, although it's still there if you really need it.

The neutral: build quality is decent. It's all plastic, except for the lens mount, and definitely wouldn't serve as a blunt weapon like the Nikon 24-70 or 70-200 would. On the other hand, it doesn't feel like it will fall apart any time soon, and its weight is manageable.

The good: stop down to f/4, and this becomes one spectacularly sharp lens. The image stabilisation works really well (although it is slightly noisier than the Nikon VR). AF is reasonably fast and always spot-on. To give you an idea of AF speed, it's slightly faster than the Nikon 35/1.8 AF-S (but again, also slightly noisier). It focuses pretty close, which is a nice bonus.

Problems:

None experienced yet.

pluis's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads