Awesome camera

Started Oct 1, 2011 | User reviews
ldsmith New Member • Posts: 2
Awesome camera

This is the first Canon I have had in my amateur photography career lasting 45 years. I purchased this camera for the 14+ MP and the 35x lens for a trip to So. Africa. I was not disappointed. I used the "P" shooting mode 95% of the time and rarely shot less than 250mm . This camera delivered beyond my expectations. I got great photos of all the "Big 5" ( lion, leopard, rhino, elephant and Cape Buffalo) and more. I also took a lot of HD video which turned out great.
The SX30is is relatively small, light weight, easy to handle, and delivers a lot of features many cameras of this size do not have.
I had no trouble with the review button. I used the Menu, Func. Set, Shortcut, Display and video buttons frequently without taking my eye from the eyepiece. ( I don't like using the LCD screen for taking photos but do use the articulated screen for taking videos) The dedicated red video button near the eyepiece worked like a dream. I used it for all the video I shot on the spur of the moment. ie baby elephant nursing in Botswana, leopard descending from a tree after eating his prey, a pair of ostriches taking their brood a waterhole in Namibia, and a giraffe ambling across the plain, also in Namibia.
I downloaded the cameras manual to my iPad and it served me well. I didn't have to lug a thick book with me just to refresh my memory of a few items on the camera.
The Pro Photographer on the trip also liked this camera. When fellow travelers asked him for suggestions on which camera to buy (because they were disappointed with the camera they brought along), he suggested they purchase this camera.
I particularly liked the way you could customize the viewfinder and the shortcut button. That allowed me to change several settings without wading through the menu.
I ended up shooting almost all day without a battery change. When I did have to change, the process was very easy and the batteries are relatively small to carry.

Problems:

I wish the ON indicator light was a different color because the little Green indicator was hard to see in strong daylight. (perhaps red or orange).

Canon PowerShot SX30 IS
14 megapixels • 2.7 screen • 24 – 840 mm (35×)
Announced: Sep 14, 2010
ldsmith's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Pascal Parvex
Pascal Parvex Regular Member • Posts: 219
Great review

Loved to read your review of the camera. I also own, but rarely use it, as I have another Canon (SX 700 HS) for pocketing.

Pascal Parvex's gear list:Pascal Parvex's gear list
Canon PowerShot 600 Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Apple iPhone 8 Plus +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads