Dissapointed

Started Dec 19, 2011 | User reviews
twinsen New Member • Posts: 2
Dissapointed

Of all the Canon cameras (6) compacts and SLRs I have owned this is undoubtedly the most disappointing.
This is not a camera you can give to someone in AUTO mode and know that the result will be good. Chances are it will be grainy, especially in lower light conditions. When you shoot in high contrast situations, expect all your straight edges throughout the frame to have green and magenta edges (chromatic aberration.)

That said, its light, comfortable, and for its price good bang for the buck. The zoom is incredible, but the end result seems 'digital' unless as another reviewer has mentioned you use a tripod to get better stability.
As a bonus, and many people don't know this because the manual does not specifically state it, there is a hot shoe under the plastic cover if you already own a Speedlite. Just pry it off.

In summary if you just want to snap away and take photographs of distant objects without shelling out tons of money on lenses, I guess you will be happy with the SX30IS. If however you have an eye for detail, you are going to be very disappointed and like me probably end up using it for capturing video and dusting off your old kit for more detailed work.

Canon PowerShot SX30 IS
14 megapixels • 2.7 screen • 24 – 840 mm (35×)
Announced: Sep 14, 2010
twinsen's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads