From Snaps to Photographs

Started Jan 3, 2012 | User reviews
Tripodasaurus Junior Member • Posts: 36
From Snaps to Photographs

I have a normal cumbersome DSLR camera and two Nikon short prime lenses which I lug about infrequently because of the weight. The upshot is I haven't been spending as much time taking photos as I would like to because the bulk and weight makes it seem all too much trouble. I have wanted to take more photos on my tripod and thereby slow down and produce fewer snaps but more carefully created pin sharp photographs. My interests include landscape, portrait, street and night shots including macros of flowers and high definition. A heavy and bulky kit has been against me all the way until now!

I was contemplating a full frame DSLR like the Nikon D700 or Canon 5 MkII but after lots of research on the internet including DP Review, I opted for the Canon G12 and I haven't looked back since. The camera has the basic controls on top of the camera so its as easy to use as a DSLR but in a smaller lighter package that fits into a coat or jacket pocket. The swivel screen is fantastic for tripod use since most light tripods are below eye level for me so now I don't have to stoop down to see through the viewfinder.

I recently took the camera (including the incorporated zoom lens) in my jacket pocket to the Christmas lights in London carrying only my tripod on the train with no hassle. In London I set up the tripod extending its legs and attaching the camera. The combined camera-lens-tripod unit was so light I carried the whole setup between shots, just folding the legs together whist keeping them fully extended and vertical. I walked around quite freely amongst the many Christmas shoppers (waved to Bill Nighy) and when I saw a scene for the next shot I simply opened the legs and I was ready to go. The tripod enabled me to carefully do everything with both hands free; twist the viewfinder upwards so I could see everything without bending down, frame the shot, consider and adjust the exposure in the low light etc., set the self timer delay to 2 seconds for a sharp image and then review the shot for composition and histogram - all with both hands free. Oh what a joy, what real joy!! This is the way to fully enjoy taking photographs. You could argue that one could do this with heavy DSLR kit and of course you could. But would you, and if you would how often?!

My point is that I find myself enjoying my photography to the full because the G12 on a tripod is so light, portable and a pleasure to use that I use it more often than a DSLR. Image quality is excellent - much wow factor at the office!

Now I keep my tripod in the car boot and my camera in my pocket - organized and ready to go!.

Incidentally, I bought the book, 'Canon Powershot G12 From Snapshots To Great Shots' from Amazon which explains all the functions of the camera. Its an easy read with good colour pics. Recommended as a replacement for Canon's very poor operating manual to get one quickly up to speed.

Tripodasaurus's gear list:Tripodasaurus's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Canon PowerShot G12
10 megapixels • 2.8 screen • 28 – 140 mm (5×)
Announced: Sep 14, 2010
Tripodasaurus's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gregg Sidwell New Member • Posts: 4
Re: From Snaps to Photographs

Like you I have a heavy bag with two DSLR bodies and lenses, filters, flash, etc. but I still love to outfit for a day outdoors with my albeit large and heavy Canon 7d mounted 400 mm, tripod and really working.  Shooting for a theme, finding the light....to me it's what I love about this pastime called photography

Gregg Sidwell's gear list:Gregg Sidwell's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

Like you, many people have recognised the benefits of a quality compact camera. Thanks to the improved sensors and technology in general the image quality is excellent. I had a D5100 which I used at the same time as a Nikon P7100 and rarely saw the difference, the D5100 is long gone but the P7100 and other quality compacts are still here.

Nice review of the benefits of compacts, the G range has been superb over the years.

Miss tilly's gear list:Miss tilly's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7800
Mike - Senior Member • Posts: 1,043

By the title only -

What is the difference between a "snap shot" and a "photograph" ?

I see it as a snob thing.  The guy/girl with the fancy, high dollar camera takes photographs, and the guy/girl with the pocket camera takes "snap shots".

Semantics...or just plain ol...mine's better than yours..!

And for the record, I have both, expensive full frame AND, pocket sized cameras.

Mike

Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

We all have our views on the difference,

for me, I can go out to deliberately take a photograph of a selected subject in chosen light, taking care over composition and depth of field. Or, I can be walking around a market or fair just snapping the odd interesting subject.

Don’t know where the snob thing comes from. I have taken some nice composed pictures with my iPhone.

Miss tilly's gear list:Miss tilly's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7800
marksee Contributing Member • Posts: 850

I have the Canon SL2 with 10-18, 18-55, $ 55-250. It's as light weight of an APS camera kit as can be found with great photo quality. I PREFER to walk out with my SX50 superzoom & 2/3" sensor. Always ready. Rarely miss an opportunity and rarely print larger than an 8x10. I know the shortcomings, but carrying the kit and changing lenses on the fly isn't photography to me. Seeing, capturing and enjoying is. Oh, and I have the SLR for the few other times when it's perfect.

I was 1/2 block away when I saw this. Quickly shot it and have enjoyed it ever since. Btw, this was the SX40, but for me the same camera/idea.

Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,447

Tripodasaurus wrote:

Incidentally, I bought the book, 'Canon Powershot G12 From Snapshots To Great Shots' from Amazon which explains all the functions of the camera. Its an easy read with good colour pics. Recommended as a replacement for Canon's very poor operating manual to get one quickly up to speed.

A good book can be inspiring. After reading a German work on long exposures (Ritschel: Langzeitbelichtung und Nachtfotografie) I had fun with neutral density filters on a tripod. Now my public library has a new book on the art of weather photography. This could be just as interesting.

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
sueanne
sueanne Forum Pro • Posts: 21,067

Awesome pictures 

Stefan BW wrote:

Tripodasaurus wrote:

A good book can be inspiring. After reading a German work on long exposures (Ritschel: Langzeitbelichtung und Nachtfotografie) I had fun with neutral density filters on a tripod. Now my public library has a new book on the art of weather photography. This could be just as interesting.

sueanne's gear list:sueanne's gear list
Canon PowerShot A510 Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot SD880 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot S110 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads