Poor quality image, low battery life. Waterproof??

Started Mar 20, 2012 | User reviews
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
emercp New Member • Posts: 2
Poor quality image, low battery life. Waterproof??

I bought this camera in March/2011 for the dream trip to Hawaii. It was a last minute buy, so I didn't have enough time to test it before I took off. During my very first visit to the beach, water got into the camera and it stopped working. I called Olympus from there and all they said they could do was repair it for me, which would take no less than 2 weeks.

Once I got back home (I live in TX), obviously I was very frustrated, I sent it to Olympus and indeed after 2 to 3 weeks I got the camera repaired.

I did try using it in the neighborhood swimming pool and it worked.

In March/2012, spring break, I went again to another dream vacation, this time in Cancun. Needless to say that again water got into the camera on the first day at the beach. There is no warranty this time, so basically I lost the chance to take great pictures and I lost the camera too.

- Start up time is way too long.
- Picture quality is poor. I have one Canon P&S at around the same price range, that produces way much better quality pictures.
- Battery life is a joke. Around 70 (or less) pictures per charge.

Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 (mju Tough 3000)
12 megapixels • 2.7 screen • 28 – 102 mm (3.6×)
Announced: Jan 7, 2010
emercp's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
Action / sports
Landscapes / scenery
Low light (without flash)
Flash photography (social)
Studio / still life
= community average
EuclidesGBM New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Poor quality image, low battery life. Waterproof??

I had the same issue the same year but in Curaçao... just ran back to the seller and asked for my money back... bought a Lumix... happy till now with it...

EuclidesGBM's gear list:EuclidesGBM's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
bobbarber Contributing Member • Posts: 750
Re: Poor quality image, low battery life. Waterproof??

I had one of these for a while and loved it, especially on the beach. It was cheap and I didn't worry about it. Image quality was poor, for sure, but I got some nice pictures. I even got some decent videos. At least I like watching them.

Did you do anything to prevent the camera from flooding? As I remember, there is a small o-ring in the battery compartment. I always checked that like a hawk, because a single grain of sand in that o-ring, or a hair, can make the camera flood. I also put silicone grease on the o-ring. I don't know if the manual says to do that, but it helps.

The camera is a poor camera. No doubt. The images are blurry. But for me it worked well on the beach. Warning: Do not look at the following images full-size! But as a 4x6 snapshot taker, for the memories? I got along with it.

bobbarber's gear list:bobbarber's gear list
Kodak DX3500 Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Canon PowerShot SX230 HS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads