Disapointing and clumsy

Started Apr 11, 2012 | User reviews
WimV New Member • Posts: 2
Disapointing and clumsy

I bought the camera 4 months ago and experience several flaws. "Start up" does not always work. The glass part of the lens almost sticks out the lens tube and can get easily damaged. The lens in 28 mm position blocks the flash light. Because of the vulnerability of the lens I bought the Fujifilm lens hood. A 52 mm UV filter fits inside. For incomprehensible reason there are openings in the back part of the hood. Dust comes in through these openings. When the hood is attached it blocks out a third of the flash light. I sticked some light tight tape in the opening of the hood to prevent lots of flashlight flare in the part of the picture what is illuminated by the flash. It is a really clumsy design. If I would have known about it, I surely would not have bought this camera. The MF AF focus button on the front of the camera as well as the exposure compensation dial on top are often unintentionally shifted when I carry the camera in a bag or coat pocket. I experience to have to correct the settings of this dial and button often before I can make a picture. The lens hood blocks almost half the image in the optical viewfinder. When I use the lcd screen, I prefer to see information about focus, mode, ISO, battery, format, memory capacity, exposure correction. The lay out for this covers a fifth part of the screen and makes composition a picture awkward. The manual focus adjusting dial is too small and too slow. Other functions are pressed easily by mistake. In macro mode the zoom is very limited. It can't be used at all in the super macro mode. The flash is a joke in macro mode and does not work in super macro mode. The picture quality is ok, although the lens suffers a lot vignetting at 28 mm. Disappointingly it still shows a lot of blooming despite of the latest version firmware. The overall button layout is ok. I can't recommend to purchase this camera.

Fujifilm X10
12 megapixels • 2.8 screen • 28 – 112 mm (4×)
Announced: Sep 1, 2011
WimV's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
okay
Portraits
weak