HX200V - an all-purpose point & shoot
I've been using this camera for 6 weeks now. I love for being an all-purpose point and shoot. There's a clear division of labour: I'm in charge of composing the shot. The camera does the rest. That's fine with me.
- Good image quality, but not as good as a DSLR or the interchangeable lenses series.
- Very fast response (start-up, shot to shot, etc).
- Fast, accurate autofocus.
- Great low-light performance. I barely use the flash. In a 10 days holiday to Berlin I've only used the built-in flash once, including all indoor and outdoor night shots.
- Very usable 30X zoom. I've never used a tripod (I don't even have one). I know people say things about the 'X' and 'MP' wars. I don't care. It allows me to compose the shot I want. I don't have the patience to do post-editing & cropping.
- It feels good. Not too bulky, not too small.
- Plenty of usable features, I'm not going to list them all. HDR, GPS with track logging, panorama, tracking focus, manual tweaking.
- Excellent video quality.
- It's not a DSLR. Nor a coffee maker or psychotherapist
- No RAW support, external flash or external mic connectivity (Wake up Sony!)
- The lens hood is annoying – you've got to remove it manually prior to camera start-up. I can live with it.
- No stand-alone charger.
|Average community score||
|See all 7 reviews »|
bad for good for
|Kids / pets||
|Action / sports||
|Landscapes / scenery||
|Low light (without flash)||
|Flash photography (social)||
|Studio / still life||
= community average
Just got my HX200V yesterday and it's been raining so I've not yet had opportunity to go out on a new camera photo hike but I do love the feel of it in my hands and the responsiveness. Also love the connection between the viewfinder and the LCD screen which is just like on the DSLR I have (Sony A57). Now I feel like I have a great alternative when I don't want to carry the bigger camera and lens but still might need the zoom power.
You mentioned no separate charger but I noticed a "travel charger" on Sony's accessories for this camera which may work when a charge is needed outside of the camera. I don't have it, obviously, so can't judge for sure. Also I am going to look on Amazon for something else and can look for a charger as well.
Susan - I bought Wasabi battery and charger on Amazon. Works fine for me. Dont ask how many shots etc.:-) I do not count.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape
|Aurora Borealis by Gary Blake|
from Aurora Borrealis
|Graceful Oversight by Kwajtrader|
from A Big Year - birds
|Ride by rajeev22675|
from - BRICS Series 03 : Family Time- in Brazil / Russia / India / China / South Africa (Full Colours Only)