Best one they've made
This is the best camera Sony has ever produced in my opinion from a value-for-your-dollar standpoint. A very capable, reasonably well-built camera with excellent ergonomics. It produces crisp, well-exposed images in most lighting conditions.
Sony's full frame SLRs (850/900), while very good, are very overpriced considering: 1. the slow continuous drive speeds. 2. low light performance/jpeg NR artifacts.
Sony's SLTs are fast but I'm not a fan of electronic viewfinders at all.
I would have remained with the Sony system otherwise, but now I'm considering the new, reasonably priced full-frame SLRs being launched by Canon and Nikon.
Nonetheless, the A700 is an outstanding camera to buy used considering what they sell for now. I'll keep mine as a backup body with a long-zoom lens, and continue to benefit from the APS-sized sensor boost.
• Higher ISO settings (800+) are less than great - especially when shooting jpegs.
• If Pentax can make its cameras water resistant, why can't everyone else?
|Average community score||
|See all 78 reviews »|
bad for good for
|Kids / pets||
|Action / sports||
|Landscapes / scenery||
|Low light (without flash)||
|Flash photography (social)||
|Studio / still life||
= community average
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|Windswept juniper by Kreber|
from Wind power
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4