Wider still and wider. Nik 12-24

Started Sep 20, 2012 | User reviews
Phil O Sophical New Member • Posts: 3
Wider still and wider. Nik 12-24

Very nice range of focal length. Dramatic perspectives. Flare not too bad. Distortion pretty damned poor.

Was expecting a little bending - given it's being a plastic cheapo - but it's much worse.

Architecture, rectilinear objects, seascapes, anything showing the horizon - all out to an embarassing degree..

Photoshop's "Undo the Lens Distortion" tricks can't properly sort it. Straight lines are not merely bent but wavy.

Made a foolish mistake in popping-on the polariser on top of the UV filter - vignetting appears, though not symetrically, leading to the supposition the optical axis is not maintained concentrically by the plastic barrels.

Plastic lens generality: The familiar smooth damping in the zoom and focussing afforded by metal helix and kilopoise grease gives way to a flimsy, gritty feel in plastic mouldings. (I daresay it would be difficult to have a viscose feel to the manual zooming focussing AND an autofocus mechanism, but then that's the challenge!

Given the CNC technology available today for machining metals it's a real retrograde step using polycarb or whatever it is. I am surprised it passed QA as a viable Nikon product given their history of excellence and my previous happy experience of their products from the F1 onwards. (yes, that old)

It will have to go to the e-bay pastures - soon as I find a replacement - I am looking.

Problems:

Wavy horizons, buildings, curbs, etc.

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF
Wideangle zoom lens • Nikon F (DX) • 2144
Announced: Feb 18, 2003
Phil O Sophical's score
Average community score
jackalopemaui Senior Member • Posts: 1,094
Re: Wider still and wider. Nik 12-24

Distortion is unavoidable with the wide angle this lens offers. It's perspective distortion, not a fault of the optics

jackalopemaui's gear list:jackalopemaui's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +3 more
PatMann
PatMann Senior Member • Posts: 1,802
Distortion less than full-frame equivalents, well corrected in ACR

Distortion on this lens is pretty limited for a zoom lens with this angle of view. It has substantially less barrel at the wide end and pincushion at the long end on DX than any of the full-frame Nikkors of equivalent focal length used on full-frame cameras. The distortion is pretty nicely corrected in ACR. Used this lens for years and found it a durable and useful tool on the D200 and D300s.
--
Pat

PatMann's gear list:PatMann's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +11 more
NFG17 New Member • Posts: 17

Ive owned this lens for a number of years, its my Dx go to general purpose lens and very good it is too.

Sharpness I find is very good but IMO sharpness depends more on technique.

The lens is metal interior and exterior but filter threads are plastic

Theres a bit of distortion worst at 17mm but easily correctable

Bokeh is best towards the long end where it is very good

Autofocus speed is average, there is some flare into the sun usually in a nice way and generally controllable.

Perhaps you had a bad copy?

NFG17's gear list:NFG17's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,624

NFG17 wrote:

Ive owned this lens for a number of years, its my Dx go to general purpose lens and very good it is too.

Sharpness I find is very good but IMO sharpness depends more on technique.

The lens is metal interior and exterior but filter threads are plastic

Theres a bit of distortion worst at 17mm but easily correctable

Bokeh is best towards the long end where it is very good

Autofocus speed is average, there is some flare into the sun usually in a nice way and generally controllable.

Perhaps you had a bad copy?

He could well have had one 7 years ago , It's a old thread, you must have missed the date

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
johnchap2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,379

Take a close look at the Sigma 8-16mm\dx rectilinear lens. Available new for about $700 (I would presume that new it is compatible with Nikon's newest firmware updates) and used in the $300+ range. Like many of the super-wides it does not take screw-in filters. However I have owned this lens and its 12-24 FX Sigma for many years and do not have any blemishes on the front glass.

Take a look at a post that I made some time ago re super wides

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61516702

johnchap2's gear list:johnchap2's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads