Overlooked and underrated - excellent lens

Started Oct 22, 2012 | User reviews
Phill P New Member • Posts: 2
Overlooked and underrated - excellent lens

Ok, so on a crop sensor it may not have an exciting range, although 45-218 is not bad at all for a walkaround lens, but that didn't stop me from getting great shots with it on a 450D for 2 years. For a lens that is not supposed to be able to stop motion I was able to take super sharp shots of passing cars from my doorstep with even the registration plate nice and clear - without using Servo.

On a full frame camera, like my 1DS MKII, it is excellent, and a good alternative to the L glass when you are in a situation where you don't want to take your most expensive stuff, like a busy club where people knock your kit about.

Shots are sharp and clear, in fact comparing it to my 28-70L the only difference is slightly less saturated colours and a little less detail. Sharpness is the same. For a £200 lens to almost match the quality of L glass is impressive and represents incredible value for money.

You can manually focus without switching to MF, so it can be considered a FTM lens in this respect. Ergonomics are also excellent, very fast and easy to pick up, focus and shoot. Even with flash it captures skin tones etc very nicely and doesn't wash out the subject.

A steal for the price. Bought as a more disposable lens than my L, I wouldn't be without it now.

A sample pic is here, taken with a 450D - RAW, Exposure 1/160, Aperture 6.3, Focal Length 105mm, multi segment metering. Judge for yourself;

http://www.individualscan.co.uk/Phill/Pics/Misc/_MG_1099.jpg

Problems:

If zoom creep bothers you the lens does extend when the camera is pointed downwards, but since it is so fast to pick up, zoom in and shoot, are you really bothered? I'm not. Zoom creep is a criticism for whiners anyway. Quality and ease of use is what counts, and this lens has it in spades. Fire and forget.

Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM
Zoom lens • Canon EF • 2562A002
Phill P's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 450D (EOS Rebel XSi / EOS Kiss X2) Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads